Go Back   Weekly Davespeak - Dave Matthews Band Forums > General > DMBc Discussion > DMB Tour Discussion > Show Gatherings / Meetups > Past Meetup Threads

Old 07-06-2010, 11:10 AM
hungrydavejunkie
Fire Dancer

Send a message via AIM to hungrydavejunkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave I View Post
I'm in for N1... Still contemplating N2. Here's my dilemma... looking for advice.

Two friends are getting married on Sept. 18th... No invite has been sent out yet to RSVP, but a 'Save the Date' has been. The two are very nice... I've known both of them for about 7-8 years, and was actually surprised to receive an invite to the wedding. I mean, we're friends, but not that close, ya know? See each other a couple times a year, and with the guy, I play fantasy football with him and don't talk much outside of football season. And two other distant friends of mine (who I'm about equally as close to) did not invite me to their wedding which is the weekend before, so like if I'm not at one, I probably won't be noticed as not being at the other except by the bride and groom, which I think they'd forget after a few weeks. I mean its like the same group of friends that will be at each of them, but I got invited to one and not to the other. I didn't think I'd be invited to either. I mean, if I'm on the guest list, we've got to be talking like 200-300 people at this wedding.

So, either I go to N1 and drive home for the wedding on Saturday and skip N2, proving my friendship to two friends I don't really see that often and skipping the last DMB show until 2012... or... I go to both nights at Wrigley, skip the wedding, but buy them a really nice gift. Now I know this is obviously a biased audience, but if it were you, what would you do?

Dave, if I send you a save the date before you get their invitation will you come to N2??

In all seriousness, and I know this may sound stupid, but what means more to you?? Attending a wedding of a friendship that doesn't seem to hold a lot of weight in your life, or DMB (that obviously holds tremendous weight)?

I think you need to see yourelf in 2011. What will mean more to you? That you attended a wedding, or N2 of DMB's last performance of 2010 and possible last performance for two years?

Also, if you do skip the wedding...you don't owe them a better gift than if you attended. If that's the case, everyone would be wanting people to decline invites. You shouldn't feel guilty for following where your heart takes you.....
Oh forget about the world for a while,
just hang out in the groove and have a good good time tonight, babe..."
Old 07-06-2010, 11:31 AM
DMatthewsCutieUF
Tripping Billie

Send a message via AIM to DMatthewsCutieUF Send a message via Yahoo to DMatthewsCutieUF

Well I'm from florida and I only know a handful of dmb fans up north. I'm hoping to get the south represented at wrigley but otherwise id love to see how the northern fans party. I need to get tickets still but hopefully there will be some awesome people.. Any reccomendations on hotels etc ? Thanks.

Can miles truly separate you from friends... If you want to be with someone you love, aren't you already there

Tomorrow is no place to place your better days. (David.J Matthews)

Celebrate we will
Because life is short but sweet for certain
We’re climbing two by two
To be sure these days continue,
These things we cannot change...
Old 07-06-2010, 11:31 AM
Shannon
Davespeakologist

Send a message via AIM to Shannon

So...I think I'm going to put in a request for a single for N2 since I know a bunch of you are going to be there.

I have to fly in early Saturday and fly back right after the show.
7-10-04 | 6-22-05 | 6-25-05 | 12-13-05 | 6-23-06 | 7-5-06 | 9-30-06 | 8-7-07 | 6-10-08 | 6-27-08 | 4-17-09 | 4-18-09 | 7-24-09 | 5-20-10 | 5-28-10 | 6-30-10 | 7-1-10 | 7-9-10 | 7-14-10| 9-18-10 | 11-6-10 | 11-19-10 | 11-20-10
Old 07-06-2010, 12:06 PM
sugar willie
Fire Dancer

Pretty bummed-- I was planning on flying out for these shows but I have a significant personal commitment that weekend keeping me home. Bad timing. I hope everyone going has a great time.

I guess I can't be too upset, since I have 2 shows next week that I'm so looking forward to. Plus, I don't think Wrigley is it for 2010. As the announcement said, these shows will "close the summer tour". If that were it for the U.S. until 2012, I think they'd capitalize on that. I have a hunch there will be some brief east coast love near end of year,, but maybe just wishful thinking.
~ Mitch

Almanac

Old 07-06-2010, 12:18 PM
Jenny
Content Team

Requested the day off w/ work, now I just need to request tickets and book a flight!
Old 07-06-2010, 12:25 PM
Emily
Content Team

Send a message via AIM to Emily Send a message via Skype™ to Emily

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
Requested the day off w/ work, now I just need to request tickets and book a flight!
Yay!

Where are people staying? I'm kinda lost when it comes to looking for hotels.

Once confirmations are posted, I'll book my flight, and then deal with hotels.

jimi thing sucks.
Old 07-06-2010, 12:34 PM
Dave I
Content Team

Send a message via AIM to Dave I Send a message via Yahoo to Dave I

Quote:
Originally Posted by hungrydavejunkie View Post
Dave, if I send you a save the date before you get their invitation will you come to N2??

In all seriousness, and I know this may sound stupid, but what means more to you?? Attending a wedding of a friendship that doesn't seem to hold a lot of weight in your life, or DMB (that obviously holds tremendous weight)?

I think you need to see yourelf in 2011. What will mean more to you? That you attended a wedding, or N2 of DMB's last performance of 2010 and possible last performance for two years?

Also, if you do skip the wedding...you don't owe them a better gift than if you attended. If that's the case, everyone would be wanting people to decline invites. You shouldn't feel guilty for following where your heart takes you.....
I know what means more to me, Jen... I'm way closer to some of you on these boards than I am with them. I guess its just the fact that I know they'll all know where I'm at (not just the bride and groom, but my friends that are also going to the wedding). Because honestly, they're going to look at it as "he's more obsessed with Dave Matthews than coming to our wedding." Which we all know isn't the case... Am I hoping for 'Last Stop'? Absolutely. But that's not why I'm going. DMB is playing HullabaLOU on July 25th, but none of you are going, so I'm not going to go. Its an hour and a half drive (read: 1/4 of the distance to Alpine), and I could get a free hotel. Its not about DMB anymore... Say, you all were on the West Coast and I lived where I do and none of you were coming to the show, I wouldn't have a problem skipping it and going to the wedding. But knowing I have a chance to see my friends again is something I don't want to pass up.
2005: 7.25 | 2006: 6.2, 6.7, 8.1, 9.22, 9.23 | 2007: 3.23, 3.24, 7.08, 8.17, 8.18, 8.22, 8.23 | 2008: 5.30, 5.31, 7.25, 7.26, 8.1, 8.5, 8.9, 8.10 | 2009: 4.17, 4.18, 4.25, 5.8, 5.9, 6.16, 7.18, 7.19, 7.31, 8.1, 8.12, 8.14, 8.15, 9.26 |2010: 6.15, 6.18, 6.19, 7.3, 7.4, 7.10, 7.30, 7.31, 9.17, 9.18, 11.19, 11.20 | 2011: :( | 2012: 5.29, 7.6, 7.7 | 2013: 6.21, 7.9, 7.12 | 2014: (6.27, 6.28, 7.9)
Old 07-06-2010, 12:38 PM
awg5053
Tripping Billie

Send a message via AIM to awg5053

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcugal09 View Post
Yay!

Where are people staying? I'm kinda lost when it comes to looking for hotels.

Once confirmations are posted, I'll book my flight, and then deal with hotels.

ive been looking into it already...cant hurt. Check kayak.com and travelocity and those types of sites
.6/20/08...6/21/08...6/27/08.I'd point that shit straight at the sky,
.6/12/09...6/13/09...9/19/09...9/20/09.And shoot heaven on down for you.
.6/4/10...6/5/10...7/10/10...9/03/10...9/04/10...9/05/10...11/06/10.
.06/08/12...06/09/12.
Old 07-06-2010, 12:41 PM
Cathy W
DMBc Road Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThestonE24 View Post
And Cathy I hope you will be as lit as you were Night 1 of Alpine
you too? what the heck - was I lit and just didn't know it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
Not me... Mraz
Mraz = good, however N2 will be the EXACT same show as N1. Down to the words he says in between each song.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by hungrydavejunkie View Post

Well said Jen!

Dave I'd skip the wedding especially if these are only people you occasionally see.... and with all the extra details you gave, even a more expensive gift is not necessary... they are not going to notice you being missing nor are they going to talk about it - they will have a whole room full of other people helping them celebrate and will be way too busy with the events of the day to concern themselves with the fact that you went to a DMB show rather than their wedding.
Old 07-06-2010, 12:42 PM
hungrydavejunkie
Fire Dancer

Send a message via AIM to hungrydavejunkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave I View Post
I know what means more to me, Jen... I'm way closer to some of you on these boards than I am with them. I guess its just the fact that I know they'll all know where I'm at (not just the bride and groom, but my friends that are also going to the wedding). Because honestly, they're going to look at it as "he's more obsessed with Dave Matthews than coming to our wedding." Which we all know isn't the case... Am I hoping for 'Last Stop'? Absolutely. But that's not why I'm going. DMB is playing HullabaLOU on July 25th, but none of you are going, so I'm not going to go. Its an hour and a half drive (read: 1/4 of the distance to Alpine), and I could get a free hotel. Its not about DMB anymore... Say, you all were on the West Coast and I lived where I do and none of you were coming to the show, I wouldn't have a problem skipping it and going to the wedding. But knowing I have a chance to see my friends again is something I don't want to pass up.

I know you know what means more to you. I don't even think this is in question to be honest with you. I just wanted to make a point.

You say it's the fact that they will know that you chose to do something over going to their wedding.....so what? Who cares what their perception is. You have to do what is right to you and what your heart wants to do. Screw them if they don't get it.

It's a wedding, not a funeral. They aren't close friends. I don't think you should guilt yourself into going to their wedding.

And I mean this in a neutral way - not biased with your decision.
Oh forget about the world for a while,
just hang out in the groove and have a good good time tonight, babe..."

Tags
alpine part 2, can't stop serenade, cubs suck, damnit steve bartman, davestick tournament, davesticking on the el, doritos!, so excited i might puke, thankfully not the gorge, tube tops & kilts ftw