Go Back   Weekly Davespeak - Dave Matthews Band Forums > General > DMBc Discussion

Old 12-27-2008, 05:28 PM
StevenAment
Tripping Billie

Send a message via AIM to StevenAment
Default Jeff Coffin announces he'll be joining DMB starting 2009

Congrats to Jeff Coffin as the newest "official" member.
http://www.dmbnews.net/

Quote:
Jeff, the saxophonist for Bela Fleck and the Flecktones, officially announced the news on his Web site, saying, "I will be joining Dave Matthews Band starting in 2009. I am honored to be asked to be part of such a fantastic group of musicians and people and am looking forward to making some great music!"

Jeff played with Dave Matthews Band this summer, after saxophonist and founding member LeRoi Moore was in an ATV accident that ultimately claimed his life. LeRoi had recorded some music for the new DMB album, which is due April 14, and Jeff will help DMB complete the album early next year.
facebook

Last edited by Alice; 12-28-2008 at 06:25 AM. Reason: added text
Old 12-27-2008, 05:38 PM
telperos
Tripping Billie

This are so damn good news!

words (in spanish) at http://marrasquinos.blogspot.com
photos at http://www.flickr.com/photos/eufemio
my public Facebook profile

[strange evolution how people have come to believe that we are its greatest achievement when really we're just a collection of cells overrating themselves]
Old 12-27-2008, 05:51 PM
ev42
Tripping Billie

good news thanks
Old 12-27-2008, 06:01 PM
mixedcolors
Fire Dancer

I'll be honest here, I like Jeff, I think he did a great job stepping in, and certainly he brings a new sound and style to the band. So I don't oppose this movement, however, maybe its just because I'm still in many ways bothered by LeRoi's passing that this seems bittersweet and on a level doesn't seem right, but again I'm not against it, it just doesn't feel right and hearing someone else is new in the band, is out of place.

But I do congrats Jeff and welcome him.

Old 12-27-2008, 06:02 PM
damaba6
Fire Dancer

wowzers, this IS good news, I think... whats with the Flecktones then??

let me take you down cause I'm going to strawberry fields, nothing is real, and nothing to get hung about, strawberry fields forever.
Old 12-27-2008, 06:05 PM
antsdmb23
Fire Dancer

I dont believe he is saying he is an "official" member. I think he is just announcing that he will "officially" be joining them for the summer. I have a hard time believing that the boys would replace Roi this quickly. It's not on the band's website saying he is an official member so this leads me to believe he is just joining them for the summer

I should say I do love Jeff and welcome him with open arms. I'm just saying that I don't think he is becoming an "official" member, yet

My Almanac

-Amazing what a minute can do-
Old 12-27-2008, 06:07 PM
telperos
Tripping Billie

Quote:
Originally Posted by damaba6 View Post
wowzers, this IS good news, I think... whats with the Flecktones then??
at the moment I can't recall the source, but somebody heard Béla say that Jeff better find the way to do both bands, because the Flecktones were not letting him go

[strange evolution how people have come to believe that we are its greatest achievement when really we're just a collection of cells overrating themselves]
Old 12-27-2008, 06:11 PM
deadcatswife
Tripping Billie

Send a message via Yahoo to deadcatswife

Congrats to Jeff!!! I wonder if he'll be able to stay with the Flecktones and do DMB at the same time?!?!!?

What I want is what I've not got, but what I need is all around me. - Dave Matthews Band

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent. -Eleanor Roosevelt
Old 12-27-2008, 06:12 PM
telperos
Tripping Billie

Quote:
Originally Posted by antsdmb23 View Post
I dont believe he is saying he is an "official" member. I think he is just announcing that he will "officially" be joining them for the summer. I have a hard time believing that the boys would replace Roi this quickly. It's not on the band's website saying he is an official member so this leads me to believe he is just joining them for the summer

I should say I do love Jeff and welcome him with open arms. I'm just saying that I don't think he is becoming an "official" member, yet
There is something about interpreting what Jeff published in his website. He said something like "yes, I've been asked about this a lot by a lot of people and yes, I will be joining DMB starting 2009". The starting 2009 thing is what makes me (and others, I suppose) think that Jeff will be with the band from now on. There is no official news from DMB yet and we don't know the nature nor the extent of this bond between Jeff and the band. But I think we can expect this to be a long-term relationship.

Old 12-27-2008, 06:14 PM
deadcatswife
Tripping Billie

Send a message via Yahoo to deadcatswife

I'll ask Dave and Stefan on Twitter and see what they say.

What I want is what I've not got, but what I need is all around me. - Dave Matthews Band

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent. -Eleanor Roosevelt

Tags
jeff coffin, leroi moore