Go Back   Weekly Davespeak - Dave Matthews Band Forums > General > DMBc Discussion > DMB Tour Discussion

Old 03-10-2012, 02:06 PM
Chicago
Tripping Billie

Default Preparing a friend for DMB performance

(mods- I looked at all the 10 zillion sub-fora and couldn't find one that this better fit-- move if you need to)

I'm going to the St. Louis show with a friend.
Her exposure, apart from what they played to death on the radio over the years, is that I think she's had Everyday or Crush plus Busted Stuff in her car CD rotation lately.
I saw DMB once in 2010 and didn't understand that DMB was all about the live jam, and the studio work was almost an afterthought. Glad I went, but I would have enjoyed the show much more if I knew then what I know now.

So, yes, there's a question in here, and here it is:

She tends to put things off and I want to avoid a tl:dl situation, so I'd like to feed her some listening in bite-sized quantities.

If you were going to put one CD together with a few live tracks that one should really be intimate with before going to a DMB show, what would they be? I was thinking of keeping it simple and maybe providing two different performances each of as little as 5 or 6 tracks.

Thanks!
Old 03-10-2012, 03:59 PM
CrushMe40
Tripping Billie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago View Post
(mods- I looked at all the 10 zillion sub-fora and couldn't find one that this better fit-- move if you need to)

I'm going to the St. Louis show with a friend.
Her exposure, apart from what they played to death on the radio over the years, is that I think she's had Everyday or Crush plus Busted Stuff in her car CD rotation lately.
I saw DMB once in 2010 and didn't understand that DMB was all about the live jam, and the studio work was almost an afterthought. Glad I went, but I would have enjoyed the show much more if I knew then what I know now.

So, yes, there's a question in here, and here it is:

She tends to put things off and I want to avoid a tl:dl situation, so I'd like to feed her some listening in bite-sized quantities.

If you were going to put one CD together with a few live tracks that one should really be intimate with before going to a DMB show, what would they be? I was thinking of keeping it simple and maybe providing two different performances each of as little as 5 or 6 tracks.

Thanks!
Anything off the Central Park Concert is a good bet. I would avoid anything with too much of an extended jam (Jimi Thing, Two Step, etc.) for a beginner. Grey Street, Watchtower, Ants, Billies....standard songs might be a good idea just so she may recognize them during the show and be able to get into them a little more. Once she knows those, then treat her to the special, but rarer ones like Pig, Halloween, BOWA, Typical, etc. Good luck!

6.19.99, 6.19.00 (SUAD & Grey St. debut!), 6.20.00 (JTR debut), 7.5.00, 6.3.01 (witnessed Dreams of Our Fathers in soundcheck!), 6.4.01, 8.5.02, 8.6.02, 8.8.02, 3.31.03 (D&T), 6.17.03 (LAST STOP!), 6.18.03, 6.23.03, 6.24.03 (LAST STOP!), 6.23.04, 6.24.04 (GGT!), 8.5.04, 6.7.05, 6.8.05, 7.21.05 (4th row/#34!), 6.7.06, 8.1.06, 8.5.08 (HALLOWEEN!), 6.16.09 (HALLOWEEN!), 6.15.10
Old 03-10-2012, 10:43 PM
theponderousman
Badged

I'd agree with nothing with a long jam for now, that can be a turn off for beginners. What kind of music does she listen to now? That might help too. If she likes slower stuff, DMB had some of that (which I'm not a huge fan of although it's great stuff). Faster stuff, use that type too.

But yeah, Central Park is a good stand by
Old 03-10-2012, 10:46 PM
DMBGURU
Tripping Billie

show her a recent dvd...something with some documentary...that helps to discuss where they are coming from and allows the viewer to understand where they are coming from...gorge or the Europe dvd...or documentaries like big whiskey or europe....both good and good samples of today

"I will go in this way...and find my own way out..."
Old 03-11-2012, 08:38 AM
shastaroseward
Tripping Billie

The band speaks to the masses in a variety of ways. What turns you on may not be what turns me on, so be prepared for a wide range of answers.

If you are wanting to give her an audio experience that is simply a preamble instead of a history lesson, I'd most likely go with a recent Live Trax with Tim Reynolds, Rashawn Ross, and Jeff Coffin. The dynamic is a bit more jubilant. With the release of a new album, anticipating song selection will be difficult (although many try and succeed, but I'm not one of them).

If she loves music, and I mean genuinely moved from the valley to the summit by a few measures, she isn't going to leave the venue disappointed, no matter what she's listened to in her past. Don't cloud the night with worry. The two of you will have an awesome time. Afterward, you can throw some historical performances her way. I always begin with Red Rocks '95 because that was my first album and the first time I heard Best of What's Around - a song that flatly changed me forever. Furthermore, it is blessed with killer versions of crowd favorites and only one cover - Watchtower. This album took me places I'd never been.
Old 03-11-2012, 04:13 PM
Chicago
Tripping Billie

Thanks, Everyone.
I don't know if I was clear-- she's in the Greater St. Louis area, and I'm not, so I don't know how much potential there will be to "show" her much. I don't think she has a good way to watch a video or DVD at the moment.
I agree that Central Park 2006 should be at the top of the list. My other great love is Bonnaroo 2010-- get hold of that one if you haven't. I can watch it over and over again.

Interesting suggestion about avoiding longer songs. I'd kind of thought that those might be preferred, as they're really the treats of the live shows IMO.
Thanks for any further thoughts.
Old 03-12-2012, 06:54 AM
n3brown
Tripping Billie

I actually started putting together a DMB starter kit for my friends who are currently just "eh..." about Dave. I find the reason for this is because they haven't been to a live show. For me, that was what turned, "yeah, they're cool, I guess," into "OMG I FREAKING LOVE THIS BAND SO MUCH."

That being said, to ensure the best time is had, its best that they are made at least familiar with the songs most likely to be played. I hate going to a concert where I have never heard a vast majority of the songs.

My approach is a mix of live and studio. I find that a lot of people aren't keen on listening to live music on tape at first. You have to see it for yourself before you can appreciate it. But it's also important that they get a taste of the live.

Back to the point, I think that if the person is at familiar with the studio songs, they will be blow away by the live version.

So here it is. Keep in mind I put this together a while ago, before Big Whiskey, even, so it's not quite as updated as I would like it to be:

Disc One
1 Crash into Me – Crash 1996
2 Crush – Before These Crowded Streets 1998
3 Granny – The Central Park Concert 2003
4 Dancing Nancies – The Central Park Concert 2003
5 Best of Whats Around – Under the Table and Dreaming 1994
6 #41(acoustic) – Live at Luther College 1999
7 Grey Steet – Busted Stuff 2002
8 Pig – Live at Fenway Park 2006
9 Grace is Gone – Busted Stuff 2002
10 Bartender – Busted Stuff 2002
11 Ants Marching – The Central Park Concert 2003

Disc Two
1 American Baby – Stand Up 2005
2 Say Goodbye – Crash 1996
3 Gravedigger (accoustic) – Some Devil 2003
4 Everyday – Live at Fenway Park 2006
5 Don’t Drink the Water – The Central Park Concert 2003
6 Raven – Busted Stuff 2002
7 Two Step – The Central Park Concert 2003
8 Big Eyed Fish – Busted Stuff 2002
9 So Damn Lucky – Some Devil 2003

I will be your Dixie Chicken
Old 03-12-2012, 08:22 AM
theponderousman
Badged

Those are some great choices in there, great job!
Old 03-12-2012, 11:54 AM
Chicago
Tripping Billie

Great stuff! Will respond as time allows (crazy day.) Thanks!
Old 03-12-2012, 01:16 PM
STL2steppin
Tripping Billie

Quote:
Originally Posted by n3brown View Post

So here it is. Keep in mind I put this together a while ago, before Big Whiskey, even, so it's not quite as updated as I would like it to be:

Disc One
1 Crash into Me – Crash 1996
2 Crush – Before These Crowded Streets 1998
3 Granny – The Central Park Concert 2003
4 Dancing Nancies – The Central Park Concert 2003
5 Best of Whats Around – Under the Table and Dreaming 1994
6 #41(acoustic) – Live at Luther College 1999
7 Grey Steet – Busted Stuff 2002
8 Pig – Live at Fenway Park 2006
9 Grace is Gone – Busted Stuff 2002
10 Bartender – Busted Stuff 2002
11 Ants Marching – The Central Park Concert 2003

Disc Two
1 American Baby – Stand Up 2005
2 Say Goodbye – Crash 1996
3 Gravedigger (accoustic) – Some Devil 2003
4 Everyday – Live at Fenway Park 2006
5 Don’t Drink the Water – The Central Park Concert 2003
6 Raven – Busted Stuff 2002
7 Two Step – The Central Park Concert 2003
8 Big Eyed Fish – Busted Stuff 2002
9 So Damn Lucky – Some Devil 2003
Great suggested track listing! This works perfectly for my situation as I am going with a coworker that has never seen DMB or been to the venue. Thanks for posting.

LeRoi Moore -- Thank You

9.18.00 / 9.19.00 / 7.10.03 / 6.17.04 / 6.01.05 / 5.30.06 / 08.28.07 / 06.07.08 / 09.30.09 / 07.11.12 / 07.10.13!!