PDA

View Full Version : Invisible Children

Paige
07-16-2006, 06:37 PM
I'm not sure if this is in the right section of nDMB but it was news to me.

Some of you may be familiar with the Invisible Children program? (I know they went to a lot of colleges and high schools) but basically it's about these 3 guys who made a documentary film about children in Northern Uganda who are being abducted to be children soldiers. These kids commute to bus stops and hospitals every night to avoid potentially being abducted. It really broke my heart, and I don't know if anyone else had heard of this/ had thoughts.

This (http://www.invisiblechildren.com/) is the official website.

I've already written a letter to the governer i believe? I have plans to write more. :thumbsup:

onesuiteworld
07-16-2006, 07:51 PM
wow, thats intense, and horrible.

laststop41
07-16-2006, 08:52 PM
wow funny you brought that up.. they came to my college this past semester, we had about 250-300 people participate.. it was pretty awesome, def. a great cause

spcmnspff4
07-16-2006, 09:04 PM
it's a great cause, and i don't mean to be debby downer here but we have enough poverty and stuff to deal with here to get involved in stuff like that

Paige
07-16-2006, 09:08 PM
Yeah but thousands of American children aren't being brainwashed by an army trying to overthrow the government. Yeah, poverty sucks, but whats going on in Africa would never go on here. It just wouldn't happen. I guess I just can't see the difference between the people here and the people in Uganda, besides the fact that their children sleep in fear...among other major problems they face everyday.

David R
07-19-2006, 07:12 AM
what a terrible situation for those kids..i can't even imagine what that would be like living in fear and always knowing that you need to watch your back because your life could be turned upside down in a matter of seconds

Paige
07-28-2006, 05:34 PM
Found this today via Invisable Children's MySpace, and it seems pretty cool. For every virtual mile (you basically take a picture dipicting changing the world) sponsers donate money. I know I'm going to work on a mile and all proceeds go to the participating charity of your choice (I bet yall can guess where mine is going).

Link is here. (http://bridge.thegluenetwork.com/)

I'd like to see if anyone participates in this.

Paige
09-15-2006, 07:31 PM
Things seem to be progressing in Uganda, hopefully for the better. An article about the Acholi War (the war related to child abduction) was the headline article of the New York Times. The article is very well written.

Read it here. (http://www.nytimes.com/2006/09/15/world/africa/15uganda.html?pagewanted=1&_r=1&ref=todayspaper)

bigmac8774
09-16-2006, 03:53 PM
FYI, i saw an article in 'the economist' the other day about more peace negotiations in uganda. hopeufully, they're starting to get somewhere.

Paige
09-16-2006, 07:57 PM
FYI, i saw an article in 'the economist' the other day about more peace negotiations in uganda. hopeufully, they're starting to get somewhere.

Thanks, I didn't know that. I'm going to have to find a copy.