PDA

View Full Version : Acts of War declared between Israel/Lebanon

Keboe
07-13-2006, 02:55 PM
http://www.cnn.com/

Lets just hope that this doesn't escalate way out of control and doesn't last long.

Alicia08
07-13-2006, 04:07 PM
http://www.cnn.com/

Lets just hope that this doesn't escalate way out of control and doesn't last long.

Amen to that...I don't like fighting:thumbsdow

Keboe
07-13-2006, 04:13 PM
yeah, unfortunately right as I posted it, the site changed the heading to "MAJOR ESCALATION." Oh the irony.

Alicia08
07-13-2006, 04:18 PM
I saw that actually...I was like "uh...not good!".
I think I briefly remember seeing the origional site you posted earlier...I'm not completely positive though...the one you're talking about anyway. So is this a particular personal subject for you, or just the whole situation in itself. My bro is going to Iraq in August, so whenever I hear anything about the Middle East...it stifles me...I don't dig war!

Keboe
07-13-2006, 04:21 PM
The situation as a whole. I'm a bit uneasy with the War in Iraq, Iran's Nuclear program, North Korea testing missiles and then Israel declaring war with Lebanon. Somehow we're gonna end up gettin in this mess also because we have a hard-on for protecting Israel :pissed:

dmbcrash
07-13-2006, 04:26 PM
great just what this world needs more of---war. GREAT

Alicia08
07-13-2006, 05:15 PM
I completely agree...that's America (don't get me wrong, love this country, but sometimes it's not our battle):pissed:

joyrider395
07-14-2006, 11:22 PM
Wow that escalated quickly
This is a very unfortunate situation- but Im a little confused-
This is basically the terrorist group Hezbollah and Israel... right?

Where is the Lebonese (<dont know how to spell that) govt in all this?

k3N70n
07-15-2006, 12:08 AM
I completely agree...that's America (don't get me wrong, love this country, but sometimes it's not our battle):pissed:::kenton quotes for truth than runs his ass out of the thread::
edit:http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i4/k3N70n_/ThinIce.gif

Alice
07-15-2006, 05:22 AM
This is basically the terrorist group Hezbollah and Israel... right?

Where is the Lebonese (<dont know how to spell that) govt in all this?

check this (http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/meast/07/13/hezbollah/index.html)out for info on the hezbollah - basic points include:

It opposes Israel and the West, and supports a fundamentalist Muslim government.
It garners popular support among Lebanese by setting up schools, hospitals and other social services.
Hezbollah fighters operate with almost total autonomy in southern Lebanon, and the government has no control over their actions, according to The Associated Press. But Lebanon has long resisted international pressure to disarm the group.

onesuiteworld
07-15-2006, 08:10 AM
It is getting very ugly. Israeli bombings of civilian targets is not helping the situation. I hate to admit it, but i'm afraid that we haven't seen the worst of it.

wired
07-15-2006, 08:20 AM
It is getting very ugly. Israeli bombings of civilian targets is not helping the situation. I hate to admit it, but i'm afraid that we haven't seen the worst of it.

i'd venture to say you are quite right. i just hope to all the gods that the middle east doesn't implode.

joyrider395
07-15-2006, 08:25 AM
check this (http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/meast/07/13/hezbollah/index.html)out for info on the hezbollah - basic points include:

It opposes Israel and the West, and supports a fundamentalist Muslim government.
It garners popular support among Lebanese by setting up schools, hospitals and other social services.
Hezbollah fighters operate with almost total autonomy in southern Lebanon, and the government has no control over their actions, according to The Associated Press. But Lebanon has long resisted international pressure to disarm the group.

thanks for the info.... scary to think this terrorist group pretty much as all the authority they want

onesuiteworld
07-15-2006, 08:54 AM
my family is very close with a lebonese family who are now stranded there. the airport was bombed, so planes cannot take off, and it is too dangerous for them to drive out of the country.

wired
07-15-2006, 09:53 AM
thanks for the info.... scary to think this terrorist group pretty much as all the authority they want

lebanon is a very poor country. if the groups are funding basic needs, people will often turn a blind eye in return for food and shelter.

John
07-15-2006, 10:27 AM
Scary situation. There's so much at stake in this conflict. I'm afraid for the day when other countries in the region begin to take sides and participate in the violence -- especially Syria and Iran.

For now, here are some blogs that were listed on the editorial page of The Dallas Morning News today. I wouldn't trust any one of them for all your information -- much of the blogs is mostly opinion, anyway -- but put together, they give a good picture of what's going on and what's at stake for the different sides. Some are more helpful than others. I'm still reading through them myself.

Free Cedar (Beirut, Lebanon): cedarfree.blogspot.com
Allison Kaplan Sommer (suburban Tel Aviv, Israel): allisonkaplansommer.blogmosis.com
Fouad (Beirut and U.S.): welcometomydream.blogspot.com
Mona El-Farra (Gaza City, Palestinian territory): fromgaza.blogspot.com
Daoud Kuttab (Ramallah, Palestinian territory): www.daoudkuttab.com
Judy (Jerusalem): jerusalemdiaries.blogspot.com

greystreetkevin
07-15-2006, 11:19 AM
Why can't we just have peace...this world is going to fall apart soon.

johnson111
07-15-2006, 12:07 PM
they need like a peace agreement or something, but I dont really know what i'm talking about all I know is that there fighting and it's not good. People cant mess with Isreal (not in a sarcastic way), Isreal's so small they wont put up with threats and crap!

onesuiteworld
07-15-2006, 01:53 PM
they need like a peace agreement or something, but I dont really know what i'm talking about all I know is that there fighting and it's not good. People cant mess with Isreal (not in a sarcastic way), Isreal's so small they wont put up with threats and crap!there will not be a peace agreement, and heres why. Israel is fighting, mainly with terrorist groups: groups who wave no flag and wear no uniform. these groups also do not recognize israel's right to exist. so, there will not be a diplomatic solution because israel, obviously, will not cease to exist to satisfy a few terrorist groups. they will fight, and they have one of the best militaries in the world. its a good thing, too, because theyll need it.

Keboe
07-15-2006, 03:28 PM
To follow up on what Alice informed us on what Hezbollah is:
http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/meast/07/13/hezbollah/index.html

CNN is a great site to get updates on this. I just watched a video on how this problem could spread throughout the Middle East. I hate to say it, but if this worsens, and Iran takes advantage... we may be lookin at another World War type of situation. I pray to god I am wrong. :praise:

onesuiteworld
07-15-2006, 03:30 PM
the middle east is in turmoil, and it shocks me that things are as quiet as they are, both on the groud there, and quiet here in america--it seems like the US is, once again, doing NOTHING.

Alice
07-15-2006, 03:41 PM
it seems like the US is, once again, doing NOTHING.

i was reading somewhere that the prime minister of lebanon asked bush to assist with some sort of cease-fire (could have my terms all messed up) but he didn't do anything...they are, however, making plans to get about 25,000 people (which i assume are only americans) out of lebanon via air bridge.

Keboe
07-15-2006, 03:43 PM
the middle east is in turmoil, and it shocks me that things are as quiet as they are, both on the groud there, and quiet here in america--it seems like the US is, once again, doing NOTHING.

Good, we don't need to do anything. Israel can handle it themselves until proven otherwise.

onesuiteworld
07-15-2006, 06:55 PM
Good, we don't need to do anything. Israel can handle it themselves until proven otherwise.yeah, they're doing a marvelous job, what with bombing civilian landmarks. israel needs help because they are not fighting a country. if they were at war with another country, they would need no help, but this enemy they need help with, or at least, could use our help. the US should be helping, at least, with relief.

Keboe
07-15-2006, 07:56 PM
yeah, they're doing a marvelous job, what with bombing civilian landmarks. israel needs help because they are not fighting a country. if they were at war with another country, they would need no help, but this enemy they need help with, or at least, could use our help. the US should be helping, at least, with relief.

keyword there is "could" use our help. They don't need it, nor does the U.S. need to get involved. I don't think it would be in the best interest of the U.S. to get involved with this one.

onesuiteworld
07-15-2006, 08:01 PM
as it stand now, probably not. but they are already making plans to evacuate american citizens (25,000, 4 of which i know personally), and it seems like if this get out of hand, we might. i think we need to provide aid, but not, at the moment, ground support.

Keboe
07-15-2006, 08:03 PM
as it stand now, probably not. but they are already making plans to evacuate american citizens (25,000, 4 of which i know personally), and it seems like if this get out of hand, we might. i think we need to provide aid, but not, at the moment, ground support.

agreed :thumbsup:

onesuiteworld
07-15-2006, 08:09 PM
agreed :thumbsup:w00t:lol:

dmband234
07-16-2006, 07:19 AM
its gettin crazy over there hopefully israel doesnt loose their cool

Alice
07-16-2006, 07:27 AM
found an article (http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/meast/07/15/btsc.labott.diplomacy/index.html)you might like matt (well might not like it, but you know what i mean)

But the Bush administration, which blames Hezbollah for the current situation, has limited diplomatic options, and its capability to focus on the crisis is overstretched by the war in Iraq and nuclear standoffs with North Korea and Iran.

Senior State Department officials said the U.S. has three main diplomatic goals in the Middle East: to help facilitate the release of the Israeli soldiers whose kidnappings precipitated the latest crisis; to pressure Israel to exercise restraint in its operations against Lebanon; and to support the Lebanese government of Prime Minister Fouad Siniora.

But the United States has no diplomatic relations with Iran or Syria, the countries it blames for the recent escalation because of their support for Hezbollah.

Washington has turned to third parties, asking all countries with influence in Tehran and Damascus to push for Hezbollah to return the Israeli soldiers safely and stop rocket attacks against Israel.

dmband234
07-16-2006, 07:33 AM

we dont have any relations with iran because we back israel and could you please not say that we are doing nothing becasue when we went into iraq and you bashed us for that so take it easy

onesuiteworld
07-16-2006, 06:00 PM
we dont have any relations with iran because we back israel and could you please not say that we are doing nothing becasue when we went into iraq and you bashed us for that so take it easy

yes, thats correct, i bash the US for iraq, and rightly so. but this thread is not devoted to that, so lets not hijack it.

spoonInspoon
07-17-2006, 11:20 AM
I should stay out of this one... ww3 here we go

bradfordc
07-17-2006, 11:42 AM
i couldnt agree more, i hate to say it but it definitly looks like the beginning of the biggest religious war in the history of man kind, very scary end of times

onesuiteworld
07-17-2006, 02:41 PM
i couldnt agree more, i hate to say it but it definitly looks like the beginning of the biggest religious war in the history of man kind, very scary end of timeseh, lets not forget the crusades (9 million dead)

moc7341
07-18-2006, 12:06 PM
I'm sorry to have to tell you there is no peaceful solution here. You have exremists who want nothing more than to wipe Isreal off the map. If a group of people tell you they want you dead at any cost, even blowing themselves up in a packed bus, are you going to peacefuly turn your back and trust them to leave you alone? If you say yes, pack your bags, head over there and give it a shot, because they say the same this about the people in this great country.

David R
07-20-2006, 07:34 PM
I'm sorry to have to tell you there is no peaceful solution here. You have exremists who want nothing more than to wipe Isreal off the map. If a group of people tell you they want you dead at any cost, even blowing themselves up in a packed bus, are you going to peacefuly turn your back and trust them to leave you alone? If you say yes, pack your bags, head over there and give it a shot, because they say the same this about the people in this great country.

i agree..as sad as it is though...the extremmists believe so deeply in the cause to wipe israel out that will stop at nothing, but on the flip side you have israel who doesn't want to get pushed around so they feel the need to defend themselves, and rightfully so..however, i really hope this gets resolved soon because this fight could last a long time, which wouldn't be good for anyone

whatsthatsound
07-20-2006, 07:44 PM
i agree there is no peaceful solution here and my opinion is that if israel backs down the other nations will continue to attack, let's hope iran doesnt develop nuclear weapons because i think i know where they will send the first one

David R
07-20-2006, 08:01 PM
yeah i think whoever backs down first is in big trouble because it seems like they will stop at nothing to get what they want..so unfortunate

Paige
07-20-2006, 09:29 PM
\ let's hope iran doesnt develop nuclear weapons because i think i know where they will send the first one

They could probably just borrow some from North Korea. They seem to have plenty to go around.

Sorry, don't mean to change the subject. The world is just so screwed up.

onesuiteworld
07-21-2006, 05:50 PM
amen. it really doesnt look good for the human race these days.

dmband234
07-21-2006, 06:50 PM
i agree there is no peaceful solution here and my opinion is that if israel backs down the other nations will continue to attack, let's hope iran doesnt develop nuclear weapons because i think i know where they will send the first one

iran already has nuclear weapons its not a question of if they are going to use them and its not going to be grim for israel because we back them and they have the most advanced military in the middle east. Hezbelloah can barley aim their rockets and israel can pretty much shoot them out of the sky because of the technology we give them

onesuiteworld
07-22-2006, 07:04 PM
iran already has nuclear weapons its not a question of if they are going to use them and its not going to be grim for israel because we back them and they have the most advanced military in the middle east. Hezbelloah can barley aim their rockets and israel can pretty much shoot them out of the sky because of the technology we give themeh, im not sure how much we've helped--they have one of the greatest armys in the world (better than ours)

Keboe
07-22-2006, 07:18 PM
They have one of the greatest armys in the world because every civilian there feels it is their duty to fight for Israel. Most consider it an honor to fight for such a great institution/military.

Paige
07-22-2006, 09:27 PM
They have one of the greatest armys in the world because every civilian there feels it is their duty to fight for Israel. Most consider it an honor to fight for such a great institution/military.

Which is why, in my opinion, we can't really make fair calls about these people. We're dealing with types of people who were raised with completely different sets of morals, beliefs and mindsets than many americans. It's just hard to really comprehend how these people think and feel.

Keboe
07-22-2006, 09:51 PM
Which is why, in my opinion, we can't really make fair calls about these people. We're dealing with types of people who were raised with completely different sets of morals, beliefs and mindsets than many americans. It's just hard to really comprehend how these people think and feel.

Yep, thats what causes all this friction in the world.

Paige
07-22-2006, 09:58 PM
I really wish it didn't have to be that way...that's what just sucks.

moc7341
07-24-2006, 04:40 AM

If we all had this much pride in America, we may be in a lot better shape than we are now.

dmband234
07-24-2006, 05:07 AM
I we all had this much pride in America, we may be in a lot better shape than we are now.

the only reason they have a good army is because we supply them with the best technology and there is a rule in israel saying that everyone between 18 and 25 has to serve in the army for some amount of time, and also moc7341 we do have a ton of pride in our counrty

dmband234
07-24-2006, 05:08 AM

they have to serve

Keboe
07-24-2006, 11:03 AM
they have to serveif they have to serve then why would they put in a draft?

onesuiteworld
07-24-2006, 12:55 PM
draft=/= serving

im not sure if they have to serve, but they have to go through a training program, then it may be somehting equivilent to our army reserves. its not quite like the draft where everyone drafted is sent into combat.

Keboe
07-24-2006, 01:53 PM
I just read somethin on CNN yesterday about a surfer who got called recently by an emergency draft and was instantly given a weapon and uniform.

David R
07-26-2006, 07:15 AM
if you're drafted, you're either going to serve right away...or be trained to serve very soon..so either way, it's not good for any of those civilians drafted to be in the military because in their situation at least, you're going to do some fighting, which isn't good...and i recently heard that israel is on the move and there's going to be big fighting soon..that could be wrong though

John
07-28-2006, 05:39 PM
Some of you have probably already seen this, but ESPN has put together a fantastic piece (http://http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/eticket/story?page=playingforpeace) about how basketball is helping bridge the ongoing conflict between Israelis and Palestinians. I definitely recommend taking a little while to read it.

David R
07-30-2006, 11:23 PM
Some of you have probably already seen this, but ESPN has put together a fantastic piece (http://http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/eticket/story?page=playingforpeace) about how basketball is helping bridge the ongoing conflict between Israelis and Palestinians. I definitely recommend taking a little while to read it.

that is great news. i love to see stuff like this when sports or anything not government related can slowly help a situation like this out. good find john!

cubbies14
07-31-2006, 09:10 AM

I watched this. It was awesome.

CO4MUTTSNY
08-01-2006, 07:19 PM
I don't know why we support Israel so much. Yeah, it's Holy land, but whit, these people are just as fucked up as the rest of those terrorist factions over there. Maybe we should just start minding our own business and I just read that "U.S. Ready To Help Transition Of Power In Cuba". WHO GIVES A SHIT???!!!!????

theponderousman
08-01-2006, 09:18 PM
Maybe we should just start minding our own business and I just read that "U.S. Ready To Help Transition Of Power In Cuba". WHO GIVES A SHIT???!!!!????

Millions of cubans that have lived in fear and poverty as Fidel lives comfortably on their sweat and tears to start with.

Oh...and although I'm not a huge fan of Isreal or a lot of the mega players in the middle east, the 'Death to all Zionists' chants that leaders in governments over there as saying....yeah that makes me uneasy....so I do in fact give a shit too :biggrin:

Don't get me wrong though...that whole area (Middle East) has some major work to do, but I have a feeling that it's not going to happen in my lifetime :pissed:

onesuiteworld
08-02-2006, 08:43 AM
I don't know why we support Israel so much. Yeah, it's Holy land, but whit, these people are just as fucked up as the rest of those terrorist factions over there. Maybe we should just start minding our own business and I just read that "U.S. Ready To Help Transition Of Power In Cuba". WHO GIVES A SHIT???!!!!????the people of the united states support israel, and so their leaders, especially in an election year, will too support israel. I am pro israel, but i do not condone what they are doing--the attacks on civilians are horrible. hezbolah is no better--they actually aim their rockets from civilian landmarks, which forces the israelis to fire there. there is no right side in this conflict.