PDA

View Full Version : You Down With HPV

MikeyCarson
06-08-2006, 08:47 PM
.....so is Merck.

Women for the first time have a vaccine to protect themselves against cervical cancer. The Food and Drug Administration on Thursday licensed the vaccine, Gardasil, for use in girls and women ages 9 to 26.

The vaccine works by preventing infection by four of the dozens of strains of the human papillomavirus, or HPV, the most prevalent sexually transmitted disease.

By age 50, some 80 percent of women have been infected.

Gardasil protects against the two types of HPV responsible for about 70 percent of cervical cancer cases. The vaccine also blocks infection by two other strains responsible for 90 percent of genital wart cases. The vaccine will be available by the end of the month, with a three-shot series costing $360

More can be found here: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060609/ap_on_he_me/cervical_cancer_vaccine_10

tiglet26
06-08-2006, 08:50 PM
yeah, the comercials for this have been EVERYWHERE....especially during daytime soap operas! The best thing about this is the great step towards finding vaccines for other STDs as well....

MikeyCarson
06-08-2006, 09:20 PM
....I just worry about Mercks reputation....I wouldn't want to subject my (and she is) 9 year old daughter to a vaccine that in four years be proven to cause....say....liver failure. And I'm curious....men can actually get penile and scrotal cancer from HPV....the coverage on this so far only address women....is it effective on men?!?!? Is there estrogen in the vaccine?!?!? If not, can it be used on boys/men.

he who rocks
06-08-2006, 11:07 PM
....i think this is cool... ive seen the ads

onesuiteworld
06-09-2006, 04:31 PM
whenever a new drug is introduced with such hype, one should tread carefully.

Dave L
06-10-2006, 12:15 PM
The important theme here is for the ladies to get regular paps....wether your vacced or not. Don't F around with the C. Same for the old fart guys on this site. Prostys and colonoscopys fellas....:thumbsup: ( we dont have a pointy finger emoticon :lol: )

dmdbmb
06-10-2006, 12:46 PM
... Prostys and colonoscopys fellas....This thread makes me uncomfortable...:chicken:

jackjack
07-01-2006, 03:34 PM
Like most STD's or STI's, women are often silent carriers. This is why there are so many women undergoing IVF. Scientist are just finding out that the "romp" in the "hay" you did in your teenage years is "partly" the reason why some women can not conceive. And it does not matter that you received the appropriate course of antibiotics. Infections leaves a scare, like plaque build up on teeth and in arteries. And although HPV sometimes corrects itself and goes away, if you've had even 1 STD you practically quadruple your chances of becoming infected with anything. This is why AIDS does not have a cure. After it immitates a gene it detroys it and alters it self again, and again and again.

wired
07-01-2006, 08:10 PM
....I just worry about Mercks reputation....I wouldn't want to subject my (and she is) 9 year old daughter to a vaccine that in four years be proven to cause....say....liver failure.
damian, i have to say i'm with you. i'm extremely wary of the major drug companies and their track histories with recent vaccines. my daughter is 6 and i feel that when she's old enough, she can make that decision for herself.

moc7341
07-14-2006, 08:00 AM
caution yourself, vaccines are responsible for a lot of illness out there today. Ever wonder why there are new vaccines every year, yet more poeple are getting sicker than ever before?

Trippin_dreamgirl
07-14-2006, 11:04 AM
Also, beware false diagnosis. I was diagnosed with HPV (told they were going to take my cervix because I had cervical cancer, meaning I'd never have kids - I was 17) but I went to another doctor for a second opinion and found that I had nothing! I almost let that doctor cut out my cervix...

k3N70n
07-14-2006, 05:03 PM
Also, beware false diagnosis. I was diagnosed with HPV (told they were going to take my cervix because I had cervical cancer, meaning I'd never have kids - I was 17) but I went to another doctor for a second opinion and found that I had nothing! I almost let that doctor cut out my cervix...it a pretty good idea to punch the 1st doctor in the face right about...............NOW!

onesuiteworld
07-14-2006, 07:07 PM
Also, beware false diagnosis. I was diagnosed with HPV (told they were going to take my cervix because I had cervical cancer, meaning I'd never have kids - I was 17) but I went to another doctor for a second opinion and found that I had nothing! I almost let that doctor cut out my cervix...wow, thats frighteningly close.