PDA

View Full Version : Should MLB celebrate Bonds passing Babe?

GoodGoodThing
05-04-2006, 09:48 AM
Ok, hot discussion in baseball right now. Major league baseball has said they will not celebrate Barry Bonds when he passes Babe Ruth for second place on the all time home run record. Bonds is at 712 home runs right now and Babes record stands at 714. MLB and Bud Selig has said "we dont celebrate second place". However, many argue that Babe Ruth is one of the most iconic people in baseball and if/when Barry breaks his record there should be a pause in the game and they should recognize his achievement. There is also the arguement that Barry's record is tainted by the use of steroids *(but there is no conclusive evidence so far that Barry has ever used steroids). So what do y'all think?

JimiThing40
05-04-2006, 09:54 AM
They have never celerbrated 2nd place before. Why would they start now?

cubbies14
05-04-2006, 09:59 AM
They have never celerbrated 2nd place before. Why would they start now?

that and he is obviously a steroid user. plus I am not really a giants fan:lol:

John
05-04-2006, 10:04 AM
*(but there is no conclusive evidence so far that Barry has ever used steroids). So what do y'all think?

Take a look at pictures from the early '90s, and then look at Bonds today. That's some pretty strong evidence. No baseball player can sculpt/enlarge his body THAT much this late in his career without some help from something. I don't know if it was the banned steroids, but he didn't do it all on his own. There's just no way.

As for baseball celebrating the 715 thing, I don't think it should do anything. Bonds probably doesn't care about it either. He's always had an f-you attitude toward the media and the league, so I doubt he's worried much about getting more attention from them.

tiglet26
05-04-2006, 01:05 PM
as the first female to post in this thread....guess what I voted!

CrazyEazy
05-04-2006, 01:09 PM
Bonds doesnt deserver a thing. He juiced and thats it... He cant say a cream which made him bigger didnt do it and that he didnt know it was roids... Bullshiznit...

djurzi
05-04-2006, 01:21 PM
It will get reconized, but Ruth was the real thing.. I don't care how many homeruns Bonds hits.. you can't compare him to Babe Ruth.

cubbies14
05-04-2006, 02:26 PM
but you got to look at it this way too....ruth played in the era of segregation. it would have been tougher to play against black players too.

blynn03
05-04-2006, 02:29 PM
but you got to look at it this way too....ruth played in the era of segregation. it would have been tougher to play against black players too.

Maybe I'm wrong....but isn't pitching a position that is still played mostly by white guys? Most of the best pitchers in history have been white, even after integration. That would be the only position involved when you're hitting home runs...its not like a good athletic defense matters when they don't touch that ball.

Basically what I'm saying is that black players have not changed pitching (as much as they have other positions), so as far as I'm concerned, the argument of race in this is irrelevant (IMO).

Granted, pitchers as a group throw faster and can throw more junk now....I would take that argument more into consideration than race.

nanciestripping
05-04-2006, 02:37 PM
pitchers now throw harder and i think its easier to hit a homer

especially if you're like bonds and have been juicing for the past 8 years

he'll get caught so there is no point in celebrating his acheivments, bc they won't stand

-brad

GoodGoodThing
05-04-2006, 04:10 PM
Yes, i agree Bonds has obviously done something to enhance his body and athletic ability, there is no doubt (I was just trying to show all sides of the issue when i opened the thread). However, cheating has also been a part of baseball, there was the cocaine era (also a performance enhancer), and amphetamines. Then there is corking bats, pitchers doctoring balls, and um....throwing games!!! So its not just Bonds and its not just steroids.

So does he deserve a celebration when he hits 715? Absolutly not, but its not because he is a cheater, but because its second place. Im just glad we dont have to worry about him breaking the all time record set by Hank Aaron. There is no way he will play long enought to get there.

I also believe that race has no impact on this discussion. I really dont understand that at all.

Charles
05-04-2006, 04:28 PM
Like Brad said it is soo much easier to hit homeruns now adays. Back in the day you couldnt go look up someones pitching stats before agame like you can now. I dont think back then they paid much attention to those things.

And about Bonds getting celebrated they wont do it.. 2nd place is just the first loser. With Bonds case he is just a plain loser. Anyone that needs HELP in any illegal form should be banned. Just look at the facts.

You know what got me laughing though i seen on sports center the other day, Bonds was watching BP and he got the ball hit at him in the netting and knocked them down.. Now thats entertainment.

GoodGoodThing
05-04-2006, 04:44 PM
You know what got me laughing though i seen on sports center the other day, Bonds was watching BP and he got the ball hit at him in the netting and knocked them down.. Now thats entertainment.

:lol:Yes, that was great!

onesuiteworld
05-04-2006, 06:18 PM
he CHEATED! without cheating, he may not have gotton HALF the home runs he did.

i am not a baseball fan, but i am an advocate of fair play, and frankly, to award barry bonds this award would be a travisty to baseball, and american tradition as a whole

keving421
05-04-2006, 08:20 PM
I dont think they should celebrate Bonds 714/715 becasue it is 2nd place all-time, not first, and he is a cheater.

I think it is rediculous that he is going to be setting these records. If the investigation MLB is doing turns out any concrete proof they better kick him out of the game. If they kick out Pete Rose for betting on baseball (for his own team), how can they not kick out Barry Bonds if they get concrete proof.