PDA

View Full Version : Stop Global warming

JR E K
01-31-2006, 08:39 PM
www.stopglobalwarming.org (http://www.stopglobalwarming.org)
join the virtual march...

<script src="<A href="http://www.stopglobalwarming.org/syndication/assets.asp?uid=447069&sel=banner5"></script">http://www.stopglobalwarming.org/syndication/assets.asp?uid=447069&sel=banner5"></script>

Bryan
01-31-2006, 09:16 PM
Global warming doesnt exist, i say this not to be a dick, but based on some research that i have done.

EDIT: 2/3/06 I am editing to clarify my statement. Global Warming is a theory not a fact, and i do not believe it exists, based on a lot of literature and reasearch that i have seen that very distictly and factualy supports this.

jeli41
02-01-2006, 05:25 AM
Global warming doesnt exist, i say this not to be a dick, but based on some research that i have done.

What do you do for a living?

wired
02-01-2006, 06:26 AM

actually, most scientists do agree that global warming does exist. what is not in agreement, however, is how much of this is the natural cycle of the earth and how much of this (if any at all) is because of humanity's impact upon the earth.

i have not drawn my own conclusions, but regardless of whether or not humans impact this warming trend greatly, i believe that humans should tread as lightly upon the earth as possible. we are a destructive race without thought for our co-habitants on this planet and without a thought to the legacy we will leave for generations to come. i believe that most of the things proposed by those who support changes to our behaviors due to global warming are good and should happen REGARDLESS.

scientific american is a very informative read if you've never checked it out. sometimes a bit over my head (yes, i admit it) but my husband does a good job of translating the befuddling areas for me. :lol:

theponderousman
02-01-2006, 08:11 AM

He reminds people on how to spell his name correctly :envelope:

dmdbmb
02-01-2006, 09:58 AM
Global warming doesnt exist, i say this not to be a dick, but based on some research that i have done. Ph.D????

Global warming does exist but not on the scale that many feel it does. It isn't as serious as many make it out to be. The earth's tempeture has naturally shifted up and down throughout all of history like this
anywho, it is speculated that we are at the peak (or close to) of an asending temp. Hence all the extra-tropical activity. Eventually the earth's temp should begin to lower but so gradually that we'll never even notice.

nicole22
02-01-2006, 11:24 AM

You sound like my dad, but his research consisted of him standing outside and he was cold, so he noted that global warming is non existant....

I only really got into it last fall when i saw this piece The Weather Channel did on Alaska. It is crazy how much it is shrinking...and i also believe that global warming exists because of how much warmer our winters have gotten. For example this winter..the temps are in the high forties-low fifites..IN JANUARY. That right there convinces me!

Charles
02-01-2006, 01:15 PM
For example this winter..the temps are in the high forties-low fifites..IN JANUARY. That right there convinces me!

2 weeks ago for one day it was low 60's in mass. damn crazy i tell ya.

Alice
02-01-2006, 02:00 PM

can you share some of this research? i'm sure i'm not the only one who would like to know why you think this

djurzi
02-01-2006, 02:28 PM
It has been a very mild winter this year.

Bryan
02-01-2006, 02:28 PM
i am a lighting designer, this was research that i did for college a few years back.
actually, most scientists do agree that global warming does exist. what is not in agreement, however, is how much of this is the natural cycle of the earth and how much of this (if any at all) is because of humanity's impact upon the earth. this is not entirly true, many scientists believe, but a great deal also beleive it does not exist.

can you share some of this research? i'm sure i'm not the only one who would like to know why you think thisim not even sure i have the paper i wrote anymore, but it basicly comes down to this. We have been pounded with info about global warming existing, but without any real data on it. The truth of the matter is the data used to calculate global warming is very sketchy. It does not go back far enough in time, it does not cover all parts of the globe, and most amazingly, it shows an equal ammount of cooling in areas. More likly, what people think is global warming is just the effect of cities growing in size. A big city is natualy going to be warmer than the the country, and as cities increse in size, the temperature will naturaly follow, but at areas where the ice caps are, and glaciers, some of those areas are cooling, while others are warming, and then they swap places....

if anyone is looking for a very interesting read. Michael Critchton has based his new fiction book on global warming. Its called "State of Fear." those that know his work know that his research is unbeleiveably extensive, and while the story is fiction, the information about global warming is fact. You'll be surprised at what you read.

GoodGoodThing
02-01-2006, 02:51 PM
I think if you have an opinion on global warming, you should have to show documented proof of research.....and then you should be shot

nicole22
02-01-2006, 02:57 PM
I think if you have an opinion on global warming, you should have to show documented proof of research.....and then you should be shot

that's a little brutal don't ya think?

GoodGoodThing
02-01-2006, 02:59 PM
yeah, i think i took it too far... ha ha

Alice
02-01-2006, 03:00 PM

i don't know about the whole getting shot thing, but a kick in the pants or something :lol:

jeli41
02-01-2006, 03:07 PM
If you are saying there are many who believe it simply does not exist, that group then is in fact a minority and certainly not credible (not of course b/c they are a minority...).

It is well known that there are scientists who believe the causes of global warming are not a result of human activities or believe the evidence for the causes of global warming are inconclusive....Generally, this group (pretty sure National Academy of Science def has members who believe this, credible institution too), which is a minority, does in fact agree with the IPCC's earlier account for global warming...(hence the existence of global warming of course). And a rise in city population is of course a human activity. Just some thoughts.

im not even sure i have the paper i wrote anymore, but it basicly comes down to this. We have been pounded with info about global warming existing, but without any real data on it. The truth of the matter is the data used to calculate global warming is very sketchy. It does not go back far enough in time, it does not cover all parts of the globe, and most amazingly, it shows an equal ammount of cooling in areas. More likly, what people think is global warming is just the effect of cities growing in size. A big city is natualy going to be warmer than the the country, and as cities increse in size, the temperature will naturaly follow, but at areas where the ice caps are, and glaciers, some of those areas are cooling, while others are warming, and then they swap places....

theponderousman
02-01-2006, 05:17 PM
Although I haven't done my own personal research into this and don't want to defend one side or another, I look at it like the ANWR / Oil Drilling in Alaska situation. There are scientists that are for and against, and supports of each that will say and do what they want to make their side credible, and the other side not.

The one thing that I WILL agree on, is that these past 500 years or so are a small small small small small small BLIP on the historic chart of Earth and her climate changes....so whether or not we are causing the climate changes or not, it's going to take a LOT more years of researching to even touch the proverbial tip of the ice berg (no pun intended)

Christian

Bryan
02-01-2006, 07:43 PM
If you are saying there are many who believe it simply does not exist, that group then is in fact a minority and certainly not credible (not of course b/c they are a minority...).thats a pretty rediculous statement.... certainly not credible? you have no basis for that.

jeli41
02-01-2006, 08:00 PM
Sorry not to clarify I guess.., but that of course is not my view/basis lol, Iím no expert...that is simply a repetition of words from the IPCC and NAS (2001) in regards to that specific possibility, one that certainly is not a hot topic in respect to those two institutions: that is, the complete non-existence of global warming (evidence being my talk with Al Gore and his related findings corroborating IPCC and NAS theories on the sides/views on the causes of gw).

Bryan
02-01-2006, 08:08 PM
Sorry not to clarify I guess.., but that of course is not my view/basis lol, Iím no expert...that is simply a repetition of words from the IPCC and NAS (2001) in regards to that specific possibility, one that certainly is not a hot topic in respect to those two institutions: that is, the complete non-existence of global warming (evidence being my talk with Al Gore and his related findings corroborating IPCC and NAS theories on the sides/views on the causes of gw).
:thumbsup: gotcha, thanks for clarifying.

Alice
02-02-2006, 02:47 AM
thats a pretty rediculous statement....
no more rediculous than
Global warming doesnt exist

jeli41
02-02-2006, 05:31 AM
I've clarified views from credible sources, whether you believe them to any or some extent is of course another issue.

Opinion is your own. But It is not credible to say, as a fact, due completely on some research in college (which you are not continuing to pursue as a occupation) that global warming does not exist...

I mean come on, if things were that simple...

Rob
02-02-2006, 07:55 AM
I beleive the current administration calls it "global climate change."

theponderousman
02-02-2006, 08:14 AM
...and i also believe that global warming exists because of how much warmer our winters have gotten. For example this winter..the temps are in the high forties-low fifites..IN JANUARY. That right there convinces me!

Something I thought about this morning on my way to an interview: Keep in mind that if the next few years there's a ton more snow and it's cooler outside than the years past, it doesn't mean we're going for an ice age. Again, what we see on Earth's timeline is a fraction of a fraction of a fraction in terms of it's history.

However...I DO firmly believe that with all of the gases we're pouring into the atmosphere, we're NOT doing any GOOD.

HLShivers
02-02-2006, 12:43 PM
You may be interested to know that global warming, earthquakes, hurricanes, and other natural disasters are a direct effect of the shrinking numbers of Pirates since the 1800s. For your interest, I have included a graph of the approximate number of pirates versus the average global temperature over the last 200 years. As you can see, there is a statistically significant inverse relationship between pirates and global temperature.

http://www.venganza.org/piratesarecool4.jpg

HLShivers
02-02-2006, 12:45 PM
GLOBAL WARMING

"Every year they say it's global warming, but then like three months later it gets cold again."

"Yeah, you're right, because at first I'm noticing this change where it's warmer and the days are longer, and I think they're on to something, but then I realize the days aren't getting longer and warmer, they're actually getting shorter and colder, and I'm just like 'this is bullshit.'"

"I know, it's like every September they're like 'close call guys, we almost got global warming but we JUST missed it!' and that's why science can blow me."

http://weeklydavespeak.com/forums/images/smilies/lol.gif

Alice
02-02-2006, 02:02 PM
You may be interested to know that global warming, earthquakes, hurricanes, and other natural disasters are a direct effect of the shrinking numbers of Pirates since the 1800s. For your interest, I have included a graph of the approximate number of pirates versus the average global temperature over the last 200 years. As you can see, there is a statistically significant inverse relationship between pirates and global temperature.

thanks for including your research heather :thumbsup: (now to pick myself up off the floor from where i've fallen out of my chair laughing so hard)

nicole22
02-02-2006, 08:18 PM
I beleive the current administration calls it "global climate change."

good call

Bryan
02-02-2006, 08:19 PM
no more rediculous than

plenty more rediculous then...this is just some crazy theory i threw out there. this is a very supported theory in the scientific world. people just dont realize it.

I've clarified views from credible sources, whether you believe them to any or some extent is of course another issue.

Opinion is your own. But It is not credible to say, as a fact, due completely on some research in college (which you are not continuing to pursue as a occupation) that global warming does not exist...

I mean come on, if things were that simple...
my reasearch was quite extensive in college, and whether or not i continued on with it, the facts remain the same, that research just clued me into the whole issue, now when i see articles about the non-existance of global warming, i look into them, because i know the theory is very scientificly backed up and i like to know more about it.
In fact, some government agencies have taken some of their data down after the non-existance theory started to gain steam to make it seem like global warming was more prevelent. an example of this is the GISS station (http://data.giss.nasa.gov/gistemp/station_data/) which took down data so that their temp records only went back to 1880, making a temp increse look much higher. When the data goes back further, we see an even line of steady rises and drops.
Basicly, there is no hard evidence that Global Warming exists, but the news media politicies it to an extreme, and hammers it into everyone head that it does. What is very clear however is that global temperature is not rising everywhere. a quick google search will tell you that.

** this is a very good discussion by the way, and so im removing all the chatter in here so if anyone would like to chim in, they dont have to weed thru it.....except the pirate chart, becaue that was f-ing hilarious.

Alice
02-02-2006, 08:24 PM
Basicly, there is no hard evidence that Global Warming exists,

but you said, and i quote

so what you're now saying is that is does exist, just not enough hard evidence for you? or the research you did makes it not exist?

onesuiteworld
02-02-2006, 08:26 PM
im staying out of this.

onesuiteworld
02-02-2006, 08:26 PM
...for once

nicole22
02-02-2006, 08:31 PM
wouldn't the growing population on the earth have some sort of effect on the tempature?

alright check this out http://www.nrdc.org/globalWarming/fwait.asp

Heat waves will be more frequent and intense.
Higher temperatures will worsen air pollution.
Sea levels will rise, flooding coastal areas in Florida, the Arctic and elsewhere
More droughts and wildfires will occur in some regions, including the American West.

Bryan
02-02-2006, 08:47 PM
but you said, and i quote

so what you're now saying is that is does exist, just not enough hard evidence for you? or the research you did makes it not exist?

im saying, there is hard evidence that supports the theory that it does not exist. Global Warming isnt a fact, its a theory. Most people blindly accept that Global Warming is very much happening and we are slowly destroying our planet, when this is simply not the case.

Id also like to make it clear that im FOR the reduction of emissions, but this has nothing to do with a greenhouse theory, but rather for health reasons. i strongly disagree with the science behind a global warming theory.

Rob
02-02-2006, 08:55 PM
I would refer anyone who's interested to the Wikipedia page that specifically discusses Global Warming Controversy (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_warming_controversy). I don't know enough about the science to say whether global warming is true or not. I do know that the result of activism that believes in the concept of global warming is tighter restrictions on automobile and industrial emissions.

And I am for the tighter environmental restrictions on these industries at the cost of the businesses, stockholders and end-consumers who must foot the bill for changing operations so that that comply with greater restrictions.

Whether global warming is true or not, if you look at who is argueing on each side and exactly what they have to 'gain' from being the most believed it's pretty clear where the average person would want to side.

edit: and that FSM comparison was hilarious.

Bryan
02-02-2006, 08:55 PM
wouldn't the growing population on the earth have some sort of effect on the tempature?

absolutly, high population areas will naturly experiece an increse in temperature as its population increses, but this is not global effect. Its not even constant in all high population places, since the begining of the industrial age, there have been major cities and high density areas that have dropped in temperature on average. The planet goes thru natural warming and cooling periods that many believe have nothing to do with humans.

PtDragon
02-03-2006, 04:13 AM
edit: and that FSM comparison was hilarious.

Then why was it selectively deleted from this thread. Guess whom ever deleted it didnt check to see thats where the pirates vs global temp came from. :thumbsdow Which was left in the thread.

Bryan
02-03-2006, 01:35 PM
Then why was it selectively deleted from this thread. Guess whom ever deleted it didnt check to see thats where the pirates vs global temp came from. :thumbsdow Which was left in the thread.

ya, that was my bad, i didnt know that the FSM thing was at all relevant, i though y'all were just being silly and chattering, im gonna put it all back in tonight.

onesuiteworld
02-03-2006, 02:45 PM
it is feb 3rd and 60 degrees in nyc

wired
02-03-2006, 03:04 PM
it was 56 degrees here today in KY - tomorrow the high forecasted is 36. in fact, it has been in the mid- to high- 50's for the better part of the month. i'm not looking foward to the winter finally moving in!

djurzi
02-03-2006, 03:33 PM

Same here! It has been pretty mild for the past couple of days.

MikeyCarson
02-03-2006, 09:28 PM
Yeah, but Global Warming is just a myth!!!! :lol:

MikeyCarson
02-03-2006, 09:29 PM
Same here! It has been pretty mild for the past couple of days.

Pretty Mild!!!! Most would call it Spring.....my wife saw a bee on our deck two days ago.

LibbyAnn
02-05-2006, 06:36 AM
ya, that was my bad, i didnt know that the FSM thing was at all relevant, i though y'all were just being silly and chattering, im gonna put it all back in tonight.

If the thread is silly chattering, shouldn't it be moved to Incessant Chatter instead of the Chicago River? After all, that is a big part of why we are all here - to chat and make friends and share our thoughts with one another. What is silly chatter to one is relevant in a funny way to another. Taking something too seriously may seem like silly chatter to yet another. This is a chat board after all. We may not always keep exactly to the topic, but do contribute a lot to this board.

onesuiteworld
02-05-2006, 08:47 AM
If the thread is silly chattering, shouldn't it be moved to Incessant Chatter instead of the Chicago River? After all, that is a big part of why we are all here - to chat and make friends and share our thoughts with one another. What is silly chatter to one is relevant in a funny way to another. Taking something too seriously may seem like silly chatter to yet another. This is a chat board after all. We may not always keep exactly to the topic, but do contribute a lot to this board.

http://weeklydavespeak.com/forums/images/smilies/thumbs_up.gif

dmdbmb
02-05-2006, 09:07 AM
If the thread is silly chattering, shouldn't it be moved to Incessant Chatter instead of the Chicago River? After all, that is a big part of why we are all here - to chat and make friends and share our thoughts with one another. What is silly chatter to one is relevant in a funny way to another. Taking something too seriously may seem like silly chatter to yet another. This is a chat board after all. We may not always keep exactly to the topic, but do contribute a lot to this board.Woot Woot!

Bryan
02-05-2006, 10:28 AM
there is a difference between chattering and having threads about random stupid whatever stuff, and then there is hyjacking a thread and going way off topic. again, my mistake, i didnt realize the FSM stuff was relevant, i thought it was just a great thread getting hyjacked, i just havent really had a chance to move it all back yet.

nicole22
02-05-2006, 11:56 AM
Since I started believing in Global Warming from the weather channel I visited their website and found an interesting article.

http://www.weather.com/encyclopedia/global/ (http://www.weather.com/encyclopedia/global/)

Here are a few items in the article I found interesting:

1) Sudden climate changes have occurred throughout our planet's history - most of them before humans could possibly have been a factor.

2.) More than a centuryís worth of detailed climate observations show a sharp increase in both carbon dioxide and temperature.

3.) These observations, together with computer model simulations and historical climate reconstructions from ice cores, ocean sediments and tree rings all provide strong evidence that the majority of the warming over the past century is a result of human activities.

4.) Urbanization and deforestation can cause an increased tendency for flash floods and mudslides from heavy rain. Deforestation also produces a climate change "feedback" by depleting a source which absorbs carbon dioxide.

5.) If greenhouse gas emissions continue to increase, a significant warming trend is expected to also continue.

6.) Not every location and its inhabitants will be affected equally, but the more the planet warms, the fewer "winners" and the more "losers" there will be as a result of the changes in climate. The potential exists for the climate to reach a "tipping point," beyond which radical and irreversible changes occur.

Anyone else agree with the weather channel?

LibbyAnn
02-10-2006, 06:44 PM
Don't know if anyone already posted this since I stopped reading this thread, but oh well - thought this was good.

From Monsters and Critics.com

Science News
Last 100 years warmest since 9th century, say British researchers
By DPA
Feb 10, 2006, 19:00 GMT

London - Findings by British scientists support earlier evidence that climate change has contributed to the warmest temperatures in the northern hemisphere since the 9th century, research published Friday showed.

Researchers at the University of East Anglia (UEA) in eastern Britain, measured changes in fossil shells, tree rings, ice cores and other past temperature records or 'proxies' to reach their findings, which were published in the journal Science Friday.

They also looked at people's diaries from the last 750 years.

Timothy Osborn and Keith Briffa of UEA analysed instrument measurements of temperature from 1856 onwards to establish the geographic extent of recent warming.

Then they compared this data with evidence dating back as far as 800 AD.

The analysis confirmed periods of significant warmth in the northern hemisphere from about 890 to 1170 AD - the so-called Medieval Warm Period - and for much colder periods from about 1580 - 1850, known as the Little Ice Age.

The UEA team showed that the present warm period is the most widespread temperature anomaly of any kind since the 9th century.

The scientists used 14 sets of temperature records from different locations across the northern hemisphere.

The records included long life evergreen trees growing in Scandinavia, Siberia and the Rocky Mountains which had been cored to reveal the patterns of wide and narrow tree rings over time. Wider rings related to warmer temperatures.

The chemical composition of ice from cores drilled in the Greenland ice sheets revealed which years were warmer than others.

Finally, the researchers used proxy data developed from the diaries of people living in the Netherlands and Belgium during the past 750 years that revealed, for example, the years when the canals froze.

'These records extend over many centuries and even thousands of years. We simply counted how many of those records indicated that, in any one year, temperatures were warmer than average for the region they came from,' said Osborn.

© 2006 dpa - Deutsche Presse-Agentur

© Copyright 2003 - 2005 by monstersandcritics.com.
This notice cannot be removed without permission.

I do think it curious -

1- How the heck to they know what really went on in the 9th Century or the 15th century?
2- What kind of SUVs were they driving back in 863 AD to add to global warming. Did the surfs refuse to recycle?
3- Eventually we had a "little ice age" from 1580-1850. So, what did they do to resolve the problem and how did that cool down the Earth? Did their horses only use ethanol? Did they refuse to turn on the lights and waste energy? Is that why it was called the Dark ages?

http://science.monstersandcritics.com/news/article_1096464.php/Last_100_years_warmest_since_9th_century_say_Briti sh_researchers

JR E K
02-15-2006, 09:11 PM
i would just rather be safe than sorry, we as humans in general arent very good at doing that on a major scale and i would like to see that happen for once... also there were a few articles here...

http://www.nrdc.org/media/pressreleases/060208.asp
about polar bears beginning process of being on the list of endagered species

http://www.commondreams.org/headlines06/0208-07.htm
christian leaders and global warming

lastly...
http://www.commondreams.org/headlines06/0129-01.htm
about the NASA expert who said that the government tried to silence him