PDA

View Full Version : vengeful mouse sets house ablaze

Alice
01-09-2006, 02:12 PM
i came across this (http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/01/08/mouse.fire.ap/index.html)earlier today and laughed for at least 5 minutes...

FORT SUMNER, New Mexico (AP) -- A mouse got its revenge against a homeowner who tried to dispose of it in a pile of burning leaves. The blazing creature ran back to the man's house and set it on fire. Luciano Mares, 81, of Fort Sumner said he caught the mouse inside his house and wanted to get rid of it.

"I had some leaves burning outside, so I threw it in the fire, and the mouse was on fire and ran back at the house," Mares said from a motel room Saturday.

Village Fire Chief Juan Chavez said the burning mouse ran to just beneath a window, and the flames spread up from there and throughout the house.

No one was hurt inside, but the home and everything in it was destroyed.

Unseasonably dry and windy conditions have charred more than 53,000 acres and destroyed 10 homes in southeastern New Mexico in recent weeks.

"I've seen numerous house fires," village Fire Department Capt. Jim Lyssy said, "but nothing as unique as this one."

dmdbmb
01-09-2006, 02:14 PM
Bologna! The old geezer wanted the insurance money to move!:lol:

Alice
01-09-2006, 02:15 PM
Bologna! The old geezer wanted the insurance money to move!:lol:

yeah, to a place where there aren't any mice :lol:

wired
01-09-2006, 02:39 PM
rotflol!!!!l boy, if that isn't karma coming 'round to bite him in the butt, huh? how awful, throwing a mouse into a fire! good for the mouse. :lol:

LibbyAnn
01-09-2006, 04:51 PM
My students told me about this today and I thought they were pulling my leg!!!

onesuiteworld
01-09-2006, 05:15 PM
ya know what, good for that mouse!

djurzi
01-09-2006, 05:38 PM
rotflol!!!!l boy, if that isn't karma coming 'round to bite him in the butt, huh? how awful, throwing a mouse into a fire! good for the mouse. :lol:

That is what I was thinking^^

I guess that what he get for throwing a mouse in a pile of burning leaves.

HLShivers
01-09-2006, 07:07 PM
I read this and although I feel horrible for that man, he deserved it! You go mouse! I laughed my ass off when I read it

LibbyAnn
01-10-2006, 10:25 AM
Sorry folks, but it looks like the story wasn't true after all.

http://www.wgal.com/news/5973746/detail.html

Flaming Mouse Story Found To Be False

Rumor Squashed: Flaming Mouse Didn't Start House Fire

UPDATED: 9:39 am EST January 10, 2006

FORT SUMNER, N.M. -- A small -town rumor that sparked world -wide interest about a mouse burning down a house has been found to be untrue.

After 81-year-old Chano Mares's house burned down Saturday in Fort Sumner, news services picked up the quirky story.

"Flaming Mouse Burns Down House" read the headline over an Associated Press story that appeared on WGAL.com, for example.

According to the initial report, Mares threw the critter in a pile of burning leaves near his home, but it ran back to the house on fire.

A local firefighter said the mouse ran to just beneath a window and the flames spread up the window and throughout the house.

All contents of the home were destroyed, but no one was injured.

Interest in fires has been high lately. Unseasonably dry and windy conditions have charred more than 53,000 acres and destroyed 10 homes in southeastern New Mexico in recent weeks.

The mouse story, however, has been doused by Mares.

"It's really humorous more than anything that a mouse burned down the house," he told KOAT-TV in Albuquerque. The mouse was dead when it hit the burning leaves.

Mares said he trapped and killed the critter and tossed it on the fire.

The flames, he said, probably reached his house because they were driven by high winds.

Capt. Jim Lyssy of the Fort Sumner Fire Department said the rumor probably got started because there was "a little too much excitement" at the time of the fire.

Mares lost everything -- and has no insurance -- but the mouse story still makes him smile.

"I started laughing, and I'll be laughing from now on," he said. "It's silly."

Alice
01-10-2006, 03:42 PM
aww :cool: i guess i won't be able to laugh at this anymore :lol:

LibbyAnn
01-10-2006, 04:01 PM
What is funny is that the media loved the story and ran with it without checking out the facts first. Do you think they will ever learn their lesson?

djurzi
01-10-2006, 06:06 PM
What is funny is that the media loved the story and ran with it without checking out the facts first. Do you think they will ever learn their lesson?

That is funny. You never know when it comes to the media. True or False it is a funny story.

onesuiteworld
01-10-2006, 06:09 PM
nooooooooooooooooooooo

Alice
01-10-2006, 06:55 PM
nooooooooooooooooooooo

you really must have wanted the mouse to burn down the house :lol:

onesuiteworld
01-10-2006, 07:07 PM
honestly, yes. anyone that cruel to animals ought to have their house burned down

but then again, the fact that it didnt happen at all isnt reall that bad

thebestofwhatsaround77
01-14-2006, 03:57 PM
the poor mouse....it didn't even get a chance for revenge.....*tear*

Alice
01-14-2006, 05:07 PM
the poor mouse....it didn't even get a chance for revenge.....*tear*

well you could say the guy got what was coming to him...

spcmnspff4
01-14-2006, 05:50 PM
i think it's a funy story either way haha