PDA

View Full Version : NY Transit Strike

Alice
12-21-2005, 02:55 AM
i'm glad i don't live or work in nyc...

Commuter anger as strike moves into 2nd day
Judge fines New York City's transit union $1 million a day for walkout

NEW YORK - New Yorkers faced another bone-chilling commute Wednesday without their cherished subways and buses as a transit strike entered its second day, leaving both patience and shoe leather wearing thin. With talks still stalled, a judge imposed a huge fine Tuesday against the Transport Workers Union $1 million for each day of the strike and lawyers were due back in court Wednesday.

The sanction was levied against workers for violating a state law that bars public employees from going on strike. The union said it would immediately appeal, calling the penalty excessive.

story continues here (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10555519/)...

dmdbmb
12-21-2005, 10:15 AM
IMO opininon they can keep holding out and when they cut a deal they can simply have the fines thrown out in the process.

I don't like seeing this type of stuff but hell when you want something done the only way to stick it to the man is to hit em where it hurts. *insertfoottoballsactionhere*

Alice
12-21-2005, 10:31 AM
they are gonna end up losing money because of the fines - i read that they lose 2 days pay for every day they are on strike...

PineappleGrass
12-21-2005, 10:35 AM
Yes thats true but when they cut a deal to go back they might be able to have all fines removed. Of course thats gonna depend on how much the city wants them back.

onesuiteworld
12-21-2005, 02:33 PM
I Love The Transit Strike!!!

onesuiteworld
12-21-2005, 02:39 PM
ok, maybe i should explain a bit. what this means for me (a twice a day one hour commuter) is a school day that starts at 9 instead of 7:30, ends at 2 instead of 3 with half hour classes, guaranteed rides too and from, and more time to hang out with friends.

it will, however, become a bitch when im on break, and cant see my friends because the buses wont be running. i just want them to settle this by next monday.

the political side is a tough one. the MTA workers make $50,000+ a year with no education needed-its basically an easy job. at the same time, there is a one billion dollar surplus that the MTA has due to cooking th books earlier last year in order to be able to charge $2 instead of the old $1.50. so who to side with? its tough, and i wont even make a decision. unions in this country, i feel (only those who encompass certain professions) have been detrumental to business, because they get greedy (i.e. NYC MTA transit strike).

the last strike lasted for 11 days. i do not think that it will go this long, because the city of new york loses over $400 million a day in lost revenue. but at the same time, due to this fact, the mta literally has the city by the testicles, and as shown by their current strike, are not afraid to squeeze.

for now, im loving short days. but in a week, it may be a different story.

Rob
12-21-2005, 11:23 PM
I've come back to this thread twice and both times I have nothing to say about the strike. Looks like onesuite knows what's going on. I just wanted to say that I get out to NYC at least once a year to party and hang with hipsters in Brooklyn. I like riding the subway when I'm there, it's a novelty for me.

rob

onesuiteworld
12-22-2005, 03:48 PM
well, theyre going back to work. pataki said basically that they wouldnt talk to the TWU unless they went back to work. i wanted one more day, but oh well

now just to see if they get what they want, or if they relize that this may be a ploy to get them back to work, and possibly not settle this

for now, i get to ride my buses again

woo...hoo