PDA

View Full Version : That Really Grinds my Gears thread......

CrazyEazy
11-28-2005, 05:36 AM
I think we need this thread.... for more reasons then one.

Ill start off with..... It's Holiday not Christmas??

Whats this Holiday crap? Everything now is Holiday nothing is Christmas....although we can still say Hanukkah or Kwanza. This Politically correct bullshit is getting out of hand.. If you don't believe in Christmas then don't fucking worry about it. Don't decorate with a tree or put up a nativity scene won't hurt my feelings. I'm sick of Non-Christian groups getting offended. Suck it. I'm not going to tell you not to have Kwanza or Hanukkah none of my business.. but dont bring your morals to me and tell me I should say Holiday when i am in public places or speaking to people who you dont know if they celebrate Christmas or not. blow me you wanker... And thats what Grinds my Gears

nicole22
11-28-2005, 09:52 AM
i like this thread! :thumbsup:

ok so try telling all that to my dad. he's all about the political bull. like when i was asking when we were gonna get our christmas tree he got all mad and said that i cannot call it a christmas tree i have to call it a holiday tree. well excuse me...:pissed:

CrazyEazy
11-28-2005, 10:01 AM
i like this thread! :thumbsup:

ok so try telling all that to my dad. he's all about the political bull. like when i was asking when we were gonna get our christmas tree he got all mad and said that i cannot call it a christmas tree i have to call it a holiday tree. well excuse me...:pissed:

Im sorry to hear that... Seams your father has fallen prey to the bullshit of corprate america... They dont want to offend people cause they want to keep sales... well too late.

LibbyAnn
11-28-2005, 10:17 AM
MERRY CHRISTMAS Chris and Nicole!!! I will be putting up my Christmas tree and Christmas decorations this week and I make it a point of when people at stores wish me a "happy holiday" I wish them a Merry Christmas back. If I specifially KNOW the person is Jewish or Muslim then I show respect and wish them the appropriate holiday.

I truely appreciate people like a family I dealt with last year. A kid in my class and his family are Jewish and yet he brought me a Christmas present and wished me a merry Christmas. I was surprised and said to him, "But Jon, you don't celebrate Christmas." He responded, "No, but you do. My parents think we should respect and honor all religions with the respect we wish to have."

I wish there were more people like that!

CrazyEazy
11-28-2005, 10:40 AM
MERRY CHRISTMAS Chris and Nicole!!! I will be putting up my Christmas tree and Christmas decorations this week and I make it a point of when people at stores wish me a "happy holiday" I wish them a Merry Christmas back. If I specifially KNOW the person is Jewish or Muslim then I show respect and wish them the appropriate holiday.

I truely appreciate people like a family I dealt with last year. A kid in my class and his family are Jewish and yet he brought me a Christmas present and wished me a merry Christmas. I was surprised and said to him, "But Jon, you don't celebrate Christmas." He responded, "No, but you do. My parents think we should respect and honor all religions with the respect we wish to have."

Merry Christmas!! right back at ya.. That was nice he brought you a gift.. they should have not just christmas trees up but the other holidays traditions as well.. Our local library after 70 years of putting up a tree for christmas has decided last year not to put up a tree and just put up happy holiday signs.. i think thats crap put the tree up and put the others up the candles and what ever the hell kwanza does put that up too..

Pakelikaforprezz
11-28-2005, 11:54 AM
Haha. Love the thread. And the shotout to peter g.http://weeklydavespeak.com/forums/images/smilies/thumbs_up.gif

TO be truthful, I think that not being able to say Merry Christmas is bullshit. I will continue living my life how I have been for my whole life. I really do not care. I wish I was still in school, cause I'd go to a public one and yell merry christmas throughout the halls till I got expelled!http://weeklydavespeak.com/forums/images/smilies/cya.gif ( mind you high school kids demand attention therefore providing my ultimate motive to do so http://weeklydavespeak.com/forums/images/smilies/lol.gifhttp://weeklydavespeak.com/forums/images/smilies/screwy.gif)

MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE!
HAPPY HOLIDAYS TO EVERYONE!
http://weeklydavespeak.com/forums/images/smilies/drinkingbuddies.gif

JimiThing40
11-28-2005, 12:05 PM
:thumbsup: Right on Chris

Rob
11-28-2005, 12:49 PM
Whoa-whoa here.

Happy Holidays is ok if you're addressing a person you know doesn't celebrate Christmas. If I looked at my co-worker Ala and said, "Merry Christmas!" He might say "ok." Only he is a practicing Muslim who fasted for the past two months for Ramadan. He believes that Jesus Christ was a profit, but not the son of God. (I'm not sure of the specifics, but I don't think they buy the whole manger scene either.)

So, I would say that a commercial or large public statement to consumers that says "Happy Holidays" is actually about including people. Whereas saying "Merry Christmas" to a large group of people that included my friend Ala would be excluding people.

Regarding your comments about corporations. Distinguising between inclusion and exculsion in a marketing message is especially important for companies tieing in a sales message with the gift buying season. (Assuming the product is not geared towards a particular faith, i.e. Bible bookmark) The last thing they want to do is say "we want you to buy this product, but only if you're Christian [or some other religion]."

A kid in my class and his family are Jewish and yet he brought me a Christmas present and wished me a merry Christmas. I was surprised and said to him, "But Jon, you don't celebrate Christmas." He responded, "No, but you do. My parents think we should respect and honor all religions with the respect we wish to have."

This example is in stark contrast to part of the premise for this thread:
I'm sick of Non-Christian groups getting offended. Suck it.
Libby's friend was in fact bending over backward to accomodate her faith.

Wishing happy holidays instead of Merry Christmas to a stranger on the street shows that you are not making an assumption based on their appearance about who they pray to or if they pray at all. This is similar to asking a new aquaintence if they have a "partner" rather than a boyfriend / girlfriend. (Negating an assumption as to their sexual orientation)

This can be tossed off as being "overly PC" but in reality this is where the country and IMHO the entire world will go. The less you assume about a person from the get-go will set the stage for a better relationship.

Me, I've already bought my girlfriend a couple of Christmas gifts. But that's just me.

r http://weeklydavespeak.com/forums/images/smilies/chicken.gif

wired
11-28-2005, 01:14 PM
Wishing happy holidays instead of Merry Christmas to a stranger on the street shows that you are not making an assumption based on their appearance about who they pray to or if they pray at all. This is similar to asking a new aquaintence if they have a "partner" rather than a boyfriend / girlfriend. (Negating an assumption as to their sexual orientation)

This can be tossed off as being "overly PC" but in reality this is where the country and IMHO the entire world will go. The less you assume about a person from the get-go will set the stage for a better relationship.

Thanks for saying this, Rob. I think we tend to forget that we've come from a largely exclusionary, homogenous society and that changing verbage from the things we are used to to accomodate the differences in our culture is often uncomfortable at first. Less than a hundred years ago in the States, women weren't allowed to own property or maintain rights to their children if divorced, let alone vote. A little over 50 years ago, African Americans were finally acknowleged as equal in the U.S. I'm sure the people at the time had many difficulties changing their language and habits to be more inclusive to these groups and probably thought that it was going too far. But we are truly a better society for making the effort.

I don't think that if you are a Christian or even if you are celebrating a secular Christmas, that you should call your Christmas tree by any other name :lol: , but saying to others "Happy Holidays" if you don't know what they celebrate is just common courtesy and shows that you have respect for whatever they celebrate.

Rob
11-28-2005, 01:19 PM
Thanks for saying this, Rob. I think we tend to forget that we've come from a largely exclusionary, homogenous society and that changing verbage from the things we are used to to accomodate the differences in our culture is often uncomfortable at first. Less than a hundred years ago in the States, women weren't allowed to own property or maintain rights to their children if divorced, let alone vote. A little over 50 years ago, African Americans were finally acknowleged as equal in the U.S. I'm sure the people at the time had many difficulties changing their language and habits to be more inclusive to these groups and probably thought that it was going too far. But we are truly a better society for making the effort.
I admit that I have a hard time with the "partner" question. I just wait for more info and promise myself not to be alarmed if she is a lipstick...
I don't think that if you are a Christian or even if you are celebrating a secular Christmas, that you should call your Christmas tree by any other name :lol: , but saying to others "Happy Holidays" if you don't know what they celebrate is just common courtesy and shows that you have respect for whatever they celebrate.

I'm buying my festivus pole (http://www.thefestivuspole.com/) tomorrow.

wired
11-28-2005, 01:27 PM
I'm buying my festivus pole (http://www.thefestivuspole.com/) tomorrow.

:lol: :lol:

CrazyEazy
11-28-2005, 01:44 PM
I don't have a problem with Holiday i didnt word my self correctly.. i do tell people happy holidays if i dont know what they celebrate its just the nice thing to do and you are all correct, im just not happy with people telling me how to act that i should have a christmas tree or i shouldnt put a nativity scence out cause it will offend my neighbors. i dont care its not their house or yard....thats really what i ment by that.. if i came off a different way i appologize. I also think that "Christmas" (not other holidays) has pretty much lost its meaning i think... its more about santa more holidays, more marketing and less about the birth of christ.

2stepnancie
11-28-2005, 03:29 PM
Ohio's state motto used to be "With God All Things Are Possible", not any more. Politically incorrect, that angered me for quite some time when they changed that. I have no idea what the state motto is now and do not care to know it. I guess everyone is so concerned about hurting someone elses feelings, that and they are afraid to get taken to court over something like saying the pledge of allegiance in schools. It makes me sad to think that what was once an everyday thing like that, is frowned upon by so many and now it is almost to the point of being an outcast if you are christian. That grinds my flippin gears, that and carnies-small hands and smell of cabage.

LibbyAnn
11-28-2005, 03:30 PM
Whoa-whoa here.

Happy Holidays is ok if you're addressing a person you know doesn't celebrate Christmas. If I looked at my co-worker Ala and said, "Merry Christmas!" He might say "ok." Only he is a practicing Muslim who fasted for the past two months for Ramadan. He believes that Jesus Christ was a profit, but not the son of God. (I'm not sure of the specifics, but I don't think they buy the whole manger scene either.)

So, I would say that a commercial or large public statement to consumers that says "Happy Holidays" is actually about including people. Whereas saying "Merry Christmas" to a large group of people that included my friend Ala would be excluding people.

Regarding your comments about corporations. Distinguising between inclusion and exculsion in a marketing message is especially important for companies tieing in a sales message with the gift buying season. (Assuming the product is not geared towards a particular faith, i.e. Bible bookmark) The last thing they want to do is say "we want you to buy this product, but only if you're Christian [or some other religion]."

Me, I've already bought my girlfriend a couple of Christmas gifts. But that's just me.

For me the issue is that there is reverse discrimination in this country. The majority are having to cater to the minority. I DO show respect to other religions or the non-religious, but I commented on the respect I received from the Jewish student because that is sooooo rare!! It isn't freedom OF religion any more it is freedom FROM Christianity.

As a public school teacher I cannot do ANYthing religious in my classroom, not even a moment of silence without it being looked at with suspicion and we have people fighting to have the words "in God we Trust" removed from the Pledge of Allegiance, and yet I receive e-mails from the administration informing me of Jewish and Muslim holidays and telling me I cannot give homework on those days. I cannot so much as bow my head, but I have been told I MUST allow my Muslim students the time to go into the hall and pray during Ramadan. We had a teacher right here in PA suspended for wearing a cross as a piece of jewelry but a Star of David or the dots worn on the forehead by other religions is accepted. We even had people complain a few years ago because they decorated the auditorium with poinsettias for the WINTER concert!!! I would gladly respect other religions if I could get the same respect!

100% of my students this year observe Christmas...I still cannot openly acknowledge it or wish my students a Merry Christmas!

If they want to remove religion from schools fine - but remove ALL religion - not just Christianity.

Alice
11-28-2005, 03:38 PM
A kid in my class and his family are Jewish and yet he brought me a Christmas present and wished me a merry Christmas. I was surprised and said to him, "But Jon, you don't celebrate Christmas." He responded, "No, but you do. My parents think we should respect and honor all religions with the respect we wish to have."

that's awesome that he would do that. i too wish there were more people like that!

im just not happy with people telling me how to act that i should have a christmas tree or i shouldnt put a nativity scence out cause it will offend my neighbors.

do you have one of those hot pink josephs? cause if you did, that would be awesome! to me, it's not Christmas until i see a hot pink joseph. my sister and i joke every year that we are going to buy my father a nativity scene for the front yard just for joseph (we are, i might add, Christians, so i mean do disrespect)

MikeyCarson
11-28-2005, 08:33 PM
As a public school teacher I cannot do ANYthing religious in my classroom, not even a moment of silence without it being looked at with suspicion and we have people fighting to have the words "in God we Trust" removed from the Pledge of Allegiance, and yet I receive e-mails from the administration informing me of Jewish and Muslim holidays and telling me I cannot give homework on those days. I cannot so much as bow my head, but I have been told I MUST allow my Muslim students the time to go into the hall and pray during Ramadan. We had a teacher right here in PA suspended for wearing a cross as a piece of jewelry but a Star of David or the dots worn on the forehead by other religions is accepted. We even had people complain a few years ago because they decorated the auditorium with poinsettias for the WINTER concert!!! I would gladly respect other religions if I could get the same respect!

100% of my students this year observe Christmas...I still cannot openly acknowledge it or wish my students a Merry Christmas!
WOW.....:thumbsdow :confused: :pissed:

If they want to remove religion from schools fine - but remove ALL religion - not just Christianity.

AM#N to that!....wait, who the f censored me...

onesuiteworld
11-28-2005, 08:56 PM
I'm sick of Non-Christian groups getting offended. Suck it. I'm not going to tell you not to have Kwanza or Hanukkah none of my business.. but dont bring your morals to me and tell me I should say Holiday when i am in public places or speaking to people who you dont know if they celebrate Christmas or not. blow me you wanker... And thats what Grinds my Gears

guess what? YOUR NOT THE ONLY FUCKING GROUP IN THE COUNTRY SO STOP ACTING LIKE IT. i am jewish. i have no big dillema with christmas, with the exception of its over-commercialization. but i also feel that holidays like chanuka, kwanza, or anything ought to be given equal rights in society. i take crap from ignorant people in school, hell, the fucking christian seekers club has been on my ass for a year now. ACCEPT JESUS AS YOUR SAVIOUR AND YOU WILL GO TO THE KINGDOM OF HEAVEN. bullshit. if there was a just and loving god, he would accept everyone for who they are. you have every right to celebrate your holiday in whatever capacity you want. but dont tell me blow me you wanker when all i want to do is practice my religion, and not be harrassed by you fucking born agains who think that the only way to help society is to convert it.

ignorant christians who dont accept others grind my gears

nicole22
11-28-2005, 09:07 PM

wow :thumbsdow
a lot has changed just in the few years i have been out of high school even. i graduated in '03 and we had a 'decorate your homeroom door for christmas' contest. and i guess now adays that would be offensive to some people.

i also helped run the school store in high school and every month we would have a theme for the displays and for decmember we would have a christmas theme. one side of the case had a christmas tree, santa and reindeer and then on the other side of the display we had a hannukah theme. i knew a teacher that was jewish and she really appreciated that we thought of her religion too. :)

and i guess if we tried that this year (only 2 years later!!) we would probably not be able to do it. how crazy is that?? :confused:

imo everyone is just too sensitive. people should just be more accepting and even be more willing to learn more about different cultures and the different ways religions celebrate holidays. for example in school instead of ousting everything they should share a little about each so everyone can get a little taste of what is out there and discover what is best for them down the road...

:whiteflag

edit: i forgot to post this link. how about we all start celebrating chrismukkah?:dbud: http://www.chrismukkah.com/

onesuiteworld
11-28-2005, 09:09 PM

good, im glad that there are still teachers who will not give in to societies pressures. there is no reason to wish your students a merry christmas because, in very sibtle ways, they may forget other holidays. while an unlikely outcome, it is a possibility, and should not be discounted

wired
11-28-2005, 09:30 PM
wow :thumbsdow
i graduated in '03 and we had a 'decorate your homeroom door for christmas' contest. and i guess now adays that would be offensive to some people.

Hi Nicole,

The problem lies in that it if it was something done for the holidays and not religion specific, then it should not, in fact, have been a "decorate your homeroom door for christmas" contest. It should be a "decorate your homeroom door for the holidays" contest. I know that in this country people equate Christmas with the holidays, but that just is not the case. Christmas is what Christians celebrate, period. It is a simple and subtle matter of language. And let's not forget how powerful language can be. It can divide races and cultures as well as religions. Imagine being somewhere where the teacher had a "decorate your homeroom door for Kwanza" and 99% of the people in class celebrated it. Would you feel just a bit isolated? Should the feelings of that one person even matter?

Just some thoughts.

PtDragon
11-28-2005, 11:40 PM
Recent polls have shown 80 to 85 percent of Americans classify themselves as Christian. The next highest is aethiest at 10 to 12 percent. That is just as an FYI.

I have studied many religions and I think peeps would be the amazed at the close similarities between them. Religion is man's creation, not Gods. For those that disagree with that statement just look at all the swearing and name calling going on in this thread. I dont care what religion anyone is, I dont think there God would condone it or cherish it as the means by which to get his message out. Smash ur finger, hit ur head, flunk ur test ok understandable, but to use it to puncuate a religious point of view hmmmmmmm to me Quite Funny :lol: And during the Holidays well...... down right halarious.

And since we are in a world of Political Correctness I no longer wish to be called a Tall, Fat, Dragon with Glasses. Instead I wish to be refered as Vertically Enhaced, Opticaly Deficent, and Gravity Challenged

wired
11-29-2005, 07:09 AM
Recent polls have shown 80 to 85 percent of Americans classify themselves as Christian. The next highest is aethiest at 10 to 12 percent. That is just as an FYI.

That would be of people polled, right? They certainly didn't poll me. :)

I have studied many religions and I think peeps would be the amazed at the close similarities between them. Religion is man's creation, not Gods.

Dragon, you are exactly right... I just had a nice theological discussion about this with some nice Jehovah's Witnesses that decided to drop by a couple of Saturdays ago and I was actually quite impressed with how accepting these two were of other belief systems. You don't get that much with door-to-door people in the rural South. My husband was afraid they might be back when we weren't home, but I think they really *were* sincere in truly understanding the fact that most spiritual paths ultimately lead to the same outcome if you truly walk the line, whatever we choose to call it. It is human nature to try and make sense of why we are here - we've been creating belief systems that help us to do so for thousands upon thousands of years.

For those that disagree with that statement just look at all the swearing and name calling going on in this thread. I dont care what religion anyone is, I dont think there God would condone it or cherish it as the means by which to get his message out. Smash ur finger, hit ur head, flunk ur test ok understandable, but to use it to puncuate a religious point of view hmmmmmmm to me Quite Funny :lol: And during the Holidays well...... down right halarious.

Holy wars have been perpetuated for thousands of years in the name of one God or another. Not surprising - we are taught over and over that force is sometimes necessary to carry out God's mission. The difference is, when the Christians do it, it is necessary. When anyone else does it, it is Evil. Really, the only major faith I can think of off the top that does not have this bloody history is Buddhism. Please, correct me if I'm wrong.

And since we are in a world of Political Correctness I no longer wish to be called a Tall, Fat, Dragon with Glasses. Instead I wish to be refered as Vertically Enhaced, Opticaly Deficent, and Gravity Challenged

Refering to a season as Holidays instead of making it religious specific isn't about political correctness in my opinion - it is a matter of common courtesy and recognizing that there are many people and many beliefs. Just as, if you found yourself in a room with 80 men and 20 women, you probably would not address the gathering as "Welcome, Gentlemen" or vice versa, "Welcome Ladies." It would be rude and would tell the people left out that you do not acknowlege them because they are not the majority and, therefore, not important.

Just to be clear, I understand that most of the people here are saying that they *do* try to be inclusive when they are around people whose faiths they don't know and that this is about feeling that you cannot be open about what you celebrate in your own homes. That is entirely different and I do think that that is crossing the line - and I don't think the majority of people wishing to use inclusive language would be okay with that kind of censorship.

CrazyEazy
11-29-2005, 09:20 AM
guess what? YOUR NOT THE ONLY FUCKING GROUP IN THE COUNTRY SO STOP ACTING LIKE IT. i am jewish. i have no big dillema with christmas, with the exception of its over-commercialization. but i also feel that holidays like chanuka, kwanza, or anything ought to be given equal rights in society. i take crap from ignorant people in school, hell, the fucking christian seekers club has been on my ass for a year now. ACCEPT JESUS AS YOUR SAVIOUR AND YOU WILL GO TO THE KINGDOM OF HEAVEN. bullshit. if there was a just and loving god, he would accept everyone for who they are. you have every right to celebrate your holiday in whatever capacity you want. but dont tell me when all i want to do is practice my religion, and not be harrassed by you fucking born agains who think that the only way to help society is to convert it.

ignorant christians who dont accept others grind my gears

Im sorry people are trying to convert you it sure isnt me doing it.. And i agree we arent the only group in this country.. nor do i want to be. I was not telling you that you can not celebrate your holiday the way you want. nor was i telling you how. nor am i directing my comments to you personally or your religion personally. Im directing it too people who are trying to tell me how to live and that i can not have a Christmas tree but i should call it a holiday tree... I do not go and tell them how to live or celebrate.. My friends are my friends regardless of race or religion.. when i look at them i dont think of religion first then if they can be my friend, i look at them and see a person who is nice and can be trusted and have fun with.. I see you as a friend, and careless that you are jewish, i dont think any different of you nor should i... and you should careless that im catholic.. just dont want people telling me how to act and what to say....sorry that you felt i was taking a personal shot...

wired
11-29-2005, 10:00 AM
Im directing it too people who are trying to tell me how to live and that i can not have a Christmas tree but i should call it a holiday tree...

Chris, I'm really just amazed that people care. I mean, that would be like insisting on calling a Menorah a candle holder because otherwise it might offend someone. :lol: Now, I would expect a Jewish family to call any tree they put up a holiday tree because, well, it wouldn't be a Christmas tree, now would it? That really *is* taking things way too far and I can understand your frustration. Out in my neck of the woods it is quite the opposite (well, I'm sure you can imagine how it is in the rural South... shoot, they still run out any African Americans who might try and settle here). Noone has any business telling anyone else what they can or cannot do, say or refer to in their homes... I don't think I would hesitate telling that to anyone who has a problem with what you do.

CrazyEazy
11-29-2005, 10:23 AM
Chris, I'm really just amazed that people care. I mean, that would be like insisting on calling a Menorah a candle holder because otherwise it might offend someone. :lol: Now, I would expect a Jewish family to call any tree they put up a holiday tree because, well, it wouldn't be a Christmas tree, now would it? That really *is* taking things way too far and I can understand your frustration. Out in my neck of the woods it is quite the opposite (well, I'm sure you can imagine how it is in the rural South... shoot, they still run out any African Americans who might try and settle here). Noone has any business telling anyone else what they can or cannot do, say or refer to in their homes... I don't think I would hesitate telling that to anyone who has a problem with what you do.

thats just it man.. there are people out there who do care.. and that just ticks me off.. and maybe they just do it to get under our skin but i see it in the corprate world, at work its a holiday tree, cant be called a christmas tree? sure the east way out is to put a tree up and call it a holiday tree but what about everyone else... they dont do a tree. is this some universal thing they are going to start?? a holiday tree. i think we should put out something that is part of each diversities holiday.. id like to see that effort out there.. so what if its alot.. just do it show you really care about everyone.

thebestofwhatsaround77
11-29-2005, 04:16 PM
religion is one of the most shaky and explosive topics in america....it can't be openly shown in schools, like libby said, yet our president practically preaches about it while defending his anti-abortion position. we've got so many christian groups that are dead-set against things like gay rights and abortions that it's really frightening....especially when i look to deeply religious people to be kind role models....jesus was all about love and forgiveness above all else, yet i've been to some of these so called "Christian" websites and some of the things they say are really just scary....here i am, looking for inspiration, and i get people who give me just the opposite....they're practically like the anabaptists, from martin luther's time, who thought everyone else but them was going to Hell...it's really depressing........i'm deeply religious, but it's been hard to look for a beacon of light and hope when what i find is a lousy quagmire of doubt and death cast on by the vast majority of the things i read and hear......

CrazyEazy
11-30-2005, 05:33 AM
Here is an artical about the Speak of the House wanting to name the tree a Christmas tree and not a Holiday Tree.....

http://www.breitbart.com/news/2005/11/29/D8E6H4V82.html

djurzi
12-04-2005, 04:24 PM
I think we need this thread.... for more reasons then one.

Ill start off with..... It's Holiday not Christmas??

Did anyone see the SNL skit last night covering this exact issue. It was pretty funny.

onesuiteworld
12-04-2005, 04:38 PM
how about a new topic

you know what really grinds my gears??? when you go to answer the phone, you say 'hello?' and the person on the other end goes 'hello?'

HLShivers
12-04-2005, 05:19 PM
lol..Yeah that's annoying. Especially when they pause after waiting for you to say something. It's like dude, you called me..just talk already. Or what really pisses me off is when someone calls and they can't think of what they called for..They sit there going um, uh..hi, um..can I speak to...uh, I forget the persons name..um..etc.

Alice
12-04-2005, 05:21 PM
you know what really grinds my gears??? when you go to answer the phone, you say 'hello?' and the person on the other end goes 'hello?'

on sort of the same lines as that - whoever had my phone number before me (and i've had it since may mind you) constantly gets calls. i'm thinking of changing my answering machine - which is currently a lady that says i'm unable to take your call right now - to something like "this is alice, not susan. susan doesn't have this number anymore. if you want to leave a message for alice, feel free to do so. if you want to leave a message for susan, well she obviously doesn't like you enough to tell you she got a new number so maybe you should re-evaluate things and find a new friend" what's even better is when someone calls looking for susan and when i tell them she doesn't have the # anymore, they ask me if i have her new number. yesterday i had to tell the guy on the other end that it wasn't like a house where you leave a forwarding address. i don't know susan, i've never met her, nor do i want to, so obviously i don't have her phone number.

onesuiteworld
12-04-2005, 05:24 PM
amen!

CrazyEazy
12-05-2005, 06:57 AM
on sort of the same lines as that - whoever had my phone number before me (and i've had it since may mind you) constantly gets calls. i'm thinking of changing my answering machine - which is currently a lady that says i'm unable to take your call right now - to something like "this is alice, not susan. susan doesn't have this number anymore. if you want to leave a message for alice, feel free to do so. if you want to leave a message for susan, well she obviously doesn't like you enough to tell you she got a new number so maybe you should re-evaluate things and find a new friend" what's even better is when someone calls looking for susan and when i tell them she doesn't have the # anymore, they ask me if i have her new number. yesterday i had to tell the guy on the other end that it wasn't like a house where you leave a forwarding address. i don't know susan, i've never met her, nor do i want to, so obviously i don't have her phone number.

i like this... totally change it to that. i want to call.

wired
12-05-2005, 07:02 AM

even worse, i hate it when someone calls, you anwer "hello?" and they say, "who is this?!" and not in a nice, inquiring way (which is still rude), but in a demanding, "how dare you answer this phone?!" kind of attitude. grrrrrr.

wired
12-05-2005, 07:08 AM
i'm thinking of changing my answering machine - which is currently a lady that says i'm unable to take your call right now - to something like "this is alice, not susan. susan doesn't have this number anymore. if you want to leave a message for alice, feel free to do so. if you want to leave a message for susan, well she obviously doesn't like you enough to tell you she got a new number so maybe you should re-evaluate things and find a new friend"

i love this, alice! you should do it. how funny!!! :lol:

wired
12-05-2005, 07:11 AM
and along those same lines again, it really grinds my gears when someone calls asking for someone that doesn't live here, verifies the number they are calling, hangs up, then calls right back. like they don't believe me...

2stepnancie
12-05-2005, 07:19 AM
What grinds my gears is a cell phone bill, I used to Sprint and not every other bill, not once in a while, but every single bill every month was wrong. One time they sent my bill and it said that I called this one #, 120 times in two hours. I drove thru this town that this # was in that night that it said that I called and it was roaming on top of it so my bill was like a $1,000.00. So I got Nextel and thought oh well the service sucks but at least I wont have to deal with sprint's b.s. HAHAHA now they are together and I can only imagine it will be a matter of time that the bills are back to chaos.

CrazyEazy
12-05-2005, 09:53 AM
and along those same lines again, it really grinds my gears when someone calls asking for someone that doesn't live here, verifies the number they are calling, hangs up, then calls right back. like they don't believe me...

happens to me all the time... 2 or 3 times

dmdbmb
12-05-2005, 10:50 AM
Whoa-whoa here.

Represent...:lol:

Alice
12-05-2005, 02:20 PM
so i might have to find the manual for my phone/answering machine and figure out how to change the message - it could be fun

even worse, i hate it when someone calls, you anwer "hello?" and they say, "who is this?!" and not in a nice, inquiring way (which is still rude), but in a demanding, "how dare you answer this phone?!" kind of attitude. grrrrrr.

yeah i can't stand that. once or twice i've actually said something like "no asshole, who is this? YOU called ME" and then hung up :lol:

so my bill was like a $1,000.00.

yikes - that's crazy

onesuiteworld
12-05-2005, 03:54 PM
i'm thinking of changing my answering machine - which is currently a lady that says i'm unable to take your call right now - to something like "this is alice, not susan. susan doesn't have this number anymore. if you want to leave a message for alice, feel free to do so. if you want to leave a message for susan, well she obviously doesn't like you enough to tell you she got a new number so maybe you should re-evaluate things and find a new friend"

you relize now you NEED TO DO THIS!!!

and give us your # so we can hear it

lol

http://weeklydavespeak.com/forums/images/smilies/lol.gifhttp://weeklydavespeak.com/forums/images/smilies/lol.gifhttp://weeklydavespeak.com/forums/images/smilies/lol.gif

annajacobs
03-31-2008, 03:53 PM
haha i thought i should revive this thread.
you know what really grind my gears?
the asshole that lives below my apartment complex. he has some amazing system with really killer speakers and sub woofers. it's so amazing in fact that it vibrates the entire floor and rattles the windows. it's so amazing that when he plays it at 3 in the morning on a Monday that i wake up. he starts playing at 9 am on the dot. every. single. morning. and it's not like earplugs help because i feel the bass vibrate in my chest. and he has i mic hooked up too now so i can hear him attempting to rap. GET SOME HEADPHONES ALREADY!!!!!!!!
i have very politely asked him to turn it down during the hours which normal people sleep, but he doesn't.

that's what really REALLY grinds my gears.