PDA

View Full Version : Removable Hard drive-Opinions?

loganmr
10-15-2005, 01:20 PM
Hello

I am in need of a removable hard drive because of all the DMB music I've aquired. I've done some searching on the net, and a lot of the information I have found has been ... controversial. Some people say this works, while others are saying that it's a piece of crap. So, I guess what I'm asking is if anyone has one, what's their experience with it? I am thinking about getting one that's around 160 or so GB, and I'd like to stay under $180. I think a fan is a good idea because then it wouldn't overheat, but so few have fans. I'd also like to have multiple connection options (Firewire and USB). And if it helps, I'm on a Dell Inspiron 5150 notebook right now. Any suggestions? Thanks!

djurzi
10-15-2005, 02:09 PM
I use Western Digital External Hard Drives. I have had them for a while have had no problems with them. I don't know what brand you were looking at, but that is what has worked for me and they are USB and no problems with overheating. I did also have a Maxtor drive and that crashed on me. I am still trying to figure out what happened to it. I was a little upset about that because I lost a lot of stuff.

Sweetupndwn
10-15-2005, 02:46 PM
Thanks for the post, Logan. I'm in the same boat. I've been trying to research the feasibility of an external drive and stuff, too. I have TONS of crap that's starting to really slow my computer down.

LibbyAnn
10-15-2005, 05:48 PM
I think many of us are in the same boat! I like having my downloads accessible on my hard drive but it keeps filling up and then I have to do a massive burn. Interesting thought.

PtDragon
10-15-2005, 06:06 PM
Actually most computers will allow additional hard drives My computer can hold up to 8..... 4 master and 4 slave. As far as externals I wouldnt worry about a fan because u only really need to hook it up to access what u want to get at. Also as an external they have taken that into account in the manufacturing. After filling it I would just label the drive and catalog all the songs on it.

jeli41
10-15-2005, 06:09 PM
Yeah I bought a additional a 160gb external USB 4 weeks ago, great investment!