PDA

View Full Version : New planet found.

Charles
08-04-2005, 07:41 PM
http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2005/29jul_planetx.htm

pretty interesting. I always loved stuff about astronomy. It is also one of my inspirations for writting poetry and music.

Rob
08-04-2005, 10:29 PM
pretty interesting. I always loved stuff about astronomy. It is also one of my inspirations for writting poetry and music.
http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2005/images/planetx/lede_med.jpg

Here's an "artist's rendering" of the planet.

I don't know about y'all--but I'm curious. If "Backyard astronomers" can find this thing with their telescope, how in the hell did we miss it for so long? WTF? We need new scientists or something.

rob

TheBestofWhatsAround
08-04-2005, 10:32 PM
is it like planet X or what? b/c every couple years or so they seem to come up with some new planet or something new in space

Rob
08-04-2005, 10:34 PM
is it like planet X or what? b/c every couple years or so they seem to come up with some new planet or something new in space
Actually, this is the planet Arqualia. It is the breading ground for the scientology aliens. You see, Cruise isn't so nuts after all.

theponderousman
08-04-2005, 11:44 PM
I don't know about y'all--but I'm curious. If "Backyard astronomers" can find this thing with their telescope, how in the hell did we miss it for so long? WTF? We need new scientists or something.

rob

I'll admit it, I love reading about this stuff (part of my morning daily ritual), and I believe that this possible planet was actually found using a 3 meter telescope or something, not necessarily the run of the mill backyard astronomer's tool. BUT, I agree with your point on having missed this previously and needing to change something up or whatever.

Now there's talk about Pluto not REALLY being a planet, but a Kuiper Belt Object and that some are saying to take the title away. What a crock

MikeyCarson
08-05-2005, 12:24 AM
The planet's temporary name is 2003 UB313.

If I send $50 and act now can I get a Star Chart and name it some thing better?

PtDragon
08-05-2005, 12:40 AM
I do find all of this interesting. I wrote a paper back in the 70's about a tenth planet. Some the outer planets were thought to exist before they could be seen with telescopes because of the gravitational affects they had on each other. I believe it was trumbell (sp) that first photographed pluto and I am sure by his standards they may be many backyard telescopes around better than his. Back in the 70's talk was to name the new planet Vulcan. The length of time it has taken to finally admit it is out ther makes u wonder how much gravitational affect congress had on this LOL

BTW charles I use to take picts of shuttle launches I Have a some nice ones I could e mail u if u like.