PDA

View Full Version : Supreme court nomination last night

purplejulied
07-20-2005, 07:02 AM
President Bush nominated Judge John Roberts to the supreme court last night. Historically he is very anti-abortion and doesn't support most clean air issues.

Personally, I feel he is a poor replacement for Sandra Day O'Connor. His nomination shouldn't be taken lightly. I don't think this will be a fast confirmation.

theponderousman
07-20-2005, 07:39 AM
President Bush nominated Judge John Roberts to the supreme court last night. Historically he is very anti-abortion and doesn't support most clean air issues.

Personally, I feel he is a poor replacement for Sandra Day O'Connor. His nomination shouldn't be taken lightly. I don't think this will be a fast confirmation.

Yeah, it's definitely not going to be a quick and easy confirmation, nor should it when you have a Republican controled congress or white house. Although I wouldn't say that Roberts is VERY anti-abortion, he's certainly not too for it. Keep in mind that Sandra Day O'Connor was originally nominated by Reagan for her strict conservative views, and yet she turned out to be a HUGE surprise.

I DO agree with Bush on picking justices that do NOT legislate from the bench though. As a Criminal Justice and Government minor in college, I've seen all too well too many judges (mainly from the left although the right has a few I've read about), that like to do this, and it's NOT what the courts are there to do.

Anyways, this will be an interesting battle!

Christian

PtDragon
08-07-2005, 12:44 PM
Don't u find it intersting that Roberts was the lawyer for Jeb Bush and the chad issue in Florida. That Roberts wrote the brief to the Supreme Court for that very issue. Wouldn't be a thanks for the help buddy, type nomination would it?

JimiThing40
08-07-2005, 01:32 PM
Don't u find it intersting that Roberts was the lawyer for Jeb Bush and the chad issue in Florida. That Roberts wrote the brief to the Supreme Court for that very issue. Wouldn't be a thanks for the help buddy, type nomination would it?

:lol:

spoonInspoon
08-16-2005, 11:30 PM

Good work :thumbsup: :lol:

Who wants to bet the oval office will be bought by JEB in 08' ???

Phony election #2 on its way

theponderousman
08-17-2005, 08:09 AM
Good work :thumbsup: :lol:

Who wants to bet the oval office will be bought by JEB in 08' ???

Phony election #2 on its way

No, honestly I don't think that the nation would allow another Bush in the oval office for quite some time the way that 'W' has messed things up this past year. If they tried that, they'd be pushing their luck WAY too much IMHO. McCain may try another go at it, Guiliani is a BIG potential (saying that the white house is the only thing he has his political eyes on), and of course you have Condi Rice in the wings if the Dems try and put Hilary up on the choping block :)

It'll be an interesting run at things, and I hope a LOT less stupid as this past election was (who would run on an 'anyone but Bush' platform!?!?) :)

Chrisitan

PtDragon
08-17-2005, 08:17 AM
Something to ponder. In 1980 Regan become President his vp Bush senior
In 88 Bush Senior became president. Then Clinton for 8 and Now Bush Jr for 8. So for the last 17 yrs we have been run by only 2 families. And for the last last 17 yrs outta 25 we have had a Bush as the number 1 or 2 man.

spoonInspoon
08-20-2005, 09:57 PM
Something to ponder. In 1980 Regan become President his vp Bush senior
In 88 Bush Senior became president. Then Clinton for 8 and Now Bush Jr for 8. So for the last 17 yrs we have been run by only 2 families. And for the last last 17 yrs outta 25 we have had a Bush as the number 1 or 2 man.

Bush and his freakin Relatives pullin them Republican strings

onesuiteworld
08-25-2005, 03:36 PM
personally, i am very hard left (as many of you know)

and as such, i will be appalled by any nominee he puts up

but as far as nominees go, it could be much worse. he took on the gay rights issues on the side less frequented.

i would like to know more about him, which we probably will not find out, bvut thusfar, it could be much worse

GraveDiggingADitch
08-29-2005, 08:36 AM
Important to note that many of the opinions that Roberts has had have been written as an attorney for a client...be it the United States or whomever. Taking that into consideration, being a judicial officer on the Supreme Court is very different that being an advocate for a client. It will be interesting to see how he approaches Roe v. Wade as it will be on the docket (it may already be)....and in front of him very shortly. The big question is how his personal & religious beliefs will affect his own decisions while he is supposively interpreting the Constitution. Hopefully he will speak for the people, and the country as a whole and not attempt to influence the rest of us with his religious beliefs as "W" would so kindly enjoy. Freedom is a right every American should enjoy....