PDA

View Full Version : Tball coach gets arested

Charles
07-16-2005, 08:56 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050715...ung_player_hurt (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050715/ap_on_re_us/young_player_hurt)

PITTSBURGH - A T-ball coach allegedly paid one of his players $25 to hurt an 8-year-old mentally disabled teammate so he wouldn't have to put the boy in the game, police said Friday.
ADVERTISEMENT

Mark R. Downs Jr., 27, of Dunbar, is accused of offering one of his players the money to hit the boy in the head with a baseball, police said. Witnesses told police Downs didn't want the boy to play in the game because of his disability.

Police said the boy was hit in the head and in the groin with a baseball just before a game, and didn't play, police said.

"The coach was very competitive," state police Trooper Thomas B. Broadwater said. "He wanted to win."

Downs has an unpublished telephone number and couldn't immediately be reached for comment Friday. It was unclear whether he had an attorney.

He was arrested and arraigned Friday on charges including criminal solicitation to commit aggravated assault and corruption of minors. He was released from jail on an unsecured bond.

The alleged assault happened June 27 in North Union Township, about 40 miles southeast of Pittsburgh, authorities said.

The boy's mother asked state police to investigate her son's injuries because she suspected Downs wanted to keep the boy off the field, despite a league rule that required each player to participate in three innings a game, Broadwater said.

Eric Forsythe, the president of the R.W. Clark Youth Baseball League, said Downs had two daughters on the T-ball team.

League organizers investigated accusations against Downs before the T-ball season ended earlier this month but could not prove that he did anything wrong. If Downs is convicted of any crime, he won't be allowed to be a coach next year, Forsythe said. The league is not affiliated with Little League International.

Charles
07-16-2005, 08:58 PM
Its a shame what the world is comming to http://weeklydavespeak.com/forums/images/smilies/screwy.gif

purplejulied
07-16-2005, 09:00 PM
pathetic

spoonInspoon
07-16-2005, 09:04 PM
Its a shame what the world is comming to http://weeklydavespeak.com/forums/images/smilies/screwy.gif

Indeed... messed up shit. Some people make me sick

07-16-2005, 09:16 PM
I'm still in shock at
A T-ball coach
and
"The coach was very competitive," state police Trooper Thomas B. Broadwater said. "He wanted to win."
It's T-ball for God's sake....how freaking competitive is T-ball?!?!?!? :confused:

Rob
07-16-2005, 09:53 PM
There's a guy like this in our corporate softball league. Frightening.

Charles
07-16-2005, 10:19 PM
Im in this softball league too.. My boss sponcored our team.. we play in a town league. and my boss is our team captian. Now keep in mind this guy is hitting 50.. cant run as good.. Overweight. and is a stubborn bastard. (but i love him like a father) and he isnt the best underhand pitcher comes up short alot or is far back.. Now i play catcher most of the games.. and it gets annoying with him pitching and walking batters. But all he does is want to win.. lets just say in the past 3 games we have been mercyed by 12 or more runs before the 5th inning. and he has walked over 30 batters in 3 games. he wont listen to us when he has played one game and there is a double hitter the next. he wont sit out a frigging game or even Eh (extra Hitter) ok rant done.

gauerke
07-17-2005, 11:10 AM
oh hitting 50..i thought you meant hitting .50:lol: i was about to say....

Charles
07-17-2005, 12:53 PM
oh hitting 50..i thought you meant hitting .50:lol: i was about to say....

haha.. well come to think about it he is probably batting around .100 because he either strikes out or makes it on base due to error. or walked.

LibbyAnn
07-17-2005, 01:37 PM
It is indeed sad what parents and coaches do to their kids! At these young ages, sports should be about learning the games, getting physical activity, having fun and learning good sportsmanship!! NOT about winning. And unfortunately it isn't just in sports that we see these attitudes, but also in dance, music, drama and school. As a teacher I get so tired of dealing with parents who want to argue every point on every grade and who push their kids to be competative, not just to learn and enjoy school. It's sad....being a kid is just not as much fun as it used to be. It has become cut-throat world. (I feel a new blog entry coming on! LOL)

goose21
08-03-2005, 10:32 AM
how the hell do u do that?

goose21
08-03-2005, 10:33 AM
its just sad

mauzyj
08-03-2005, 10:44 AM
It is indeed sad what parents and coaches do to their kids! At these young ages, sports should be about learning the games, getting physical activity, having fun and learning good sportsmanship!! NOT about winning. And unfortunately it isn't just in sports that we see these attitudes, but also in dance, music, drama and school. As a teacher I get so tired of dealing with parents who want to argue every point on every grade and who push their kids to be competative, not just to learn and enjoy school. It's sad....being a kid is just not as much fun as it used to be. It has become cut-throat world. (I feel a new blog entry coming on! LOL)

have you guys seen that special on A&E or Bravo or Lifetime or one of those horrible stations? might be Fox Family even...but it profiles psycho parents like this. the cheerleader-to-be's mom, the football dad, etc. scary, scary stuff.

Shannon
08-03-2005, 11:31 AM
I'm so tired of hearing about all these coaches these days who are either raping or beating the kids. These fuckers need to be shot.

DmbGreySt88
08-03-2005, 03:29 PM
that guy is nuts-

LibbyAnn
08-03-2005, 04:41 PM
As teachers, we have to have background checks and police records checked and all that...I think we should require that for sports coaches too. After all they work just as closely with kids as we do and under less supervised conditions.

DmbGreySt88
08-03-2005, 04:54 PM
As teachers, we have to have background checks and police records checked and all that...I think we should require that for sports coaches too. After all they work just as closely with kids as we do and under less supervised conditions.

i think that would lead to not enough people to coach the kids and it would be very complicated i believe

LibbyAnn
08-03-2005, 04:56 PM
i think that would lead to not enough people to coach the kids and it would be very complicated i believe

Possibly...but then there but in accountability some other way...more parents willing to put their time in...something! The safety of children is at stake!!

DmbGreySt88
08-03-2005, 05:01 PM
Possibly...but then there but in accountability some other way...more parents willing to put their time in...something! The safety of children is at stake!!

well yes thats the most important thing of course but lets jsut say (hypothetically) that they did do a backround check on the t-ball coach and everything checked out perfectly fine and then this whole thing happens. what will parents think about the backround check?

LibbyAnn
08-03-2005, 05:04 PM
well yes thats the most important thing of course but lets jsut say (hypothetically) that they did do a backround check on the t-ball coach and everything checked out perfectly fine and then this whole thing happens. what will parents think about the backround check?

True...that is only one step which will rule out repeat offenders and predators who move around looking for places to hurt kids...If you look at statistics...many are indeed repeat offenders with a record!

DmbGreySt88
08-03-2005, 05:13 PM
True...that is only one step which will rule out repeat offenders and predators who move around looking for places to hurt kids...If you look at statistics...many are indeed repeat offenders with a record!

Great point- i think that parents just need 2 be active in participating and talking to their kids about how practice was and see what there opinion is on the coach etc etc..

LibbyAnn
08-03-2005, 05:21 PM
I agree. As tough and as sad as it is, we must take away some of our children's innocence and discuss these things with them, too...warn them about "good touch - bad touch" and that there are bad people out there. Communication, openness and being sure kids understand it is not their fault if someone says or tries something! They should NEVER feel guilty but talk to their parents!

DmbGreySt88
08-03-2005, 05:27 PM
I agree. As tough and as sad as it is, we must take away some of our children's innocence and discuss these things with them, too...warn them about "good touch - bad touch" and that there are bad people out there. Communication, openness and being sure kids understand it is not their fault if someone says or tries something! They should NEVER feel guilty but talk to their parents!

Haha now thats easy to say as a parent but when ur a kid its not exaclty the easiest thing 2 do. talknig to ur parents that is. i mean im only 17 and i still like to kind of keep my business my business but i agree with everything you have said so far and i like ur view on this:)

LibbyAnn
08-03-2005, 05:32 PM
Haha now thats easy to say as a parent but when ur a kid its not exaclty the easiest thing 2 do. talknig to ur parents that is. i mean im only 17 and i still like to kind of keep my business my business but i agree with everything you have said so far and i like ur view on this:)

Well...at 17 you should be able to handle any situation like this that comes up... I was really referring to young children who truly need protection...You'll be just fine!

DmbGreySt88
08-03-2005, 05:42 PM
Well...at 17 you should be able to handle any situation like this that comes up... I was really referring to young children who truly need protection...You'll be just fine!

true i have been working out a little bit :lol: but yes i agree 110% on what your saying about the young children who cant defend themselves- i was just simply saying when something like that happens they do not really want to tell their parents- i jsut found out that one of my good friends(shes a girl) was raped when she was 7 and i asked why the hell didnt you tell your parents? and her response was " i was too ashamed" thats the only reason why i believe kids keep to themselves when something like that happens- its a shame really

LibbyAnn
08-03-2005, 06:06 PM
Exactly!! That's why parents need to be open and talk to their kids about these things early on...make sure they understand that there isn't anything to be ashamed of and keep the lines of communication open. I know it is hard, hard for me too, but as parents we must talk to our kids about sex...make sure they understand what it is...and that it isn't "dirty" and that they can talk about it...ask questions...We won't judge and will be willing to discuss anything with them in a way that they will feel comfortable enough to come to us if there is ever a problem!

DmbGreySt88
08-03-2005, 06:09 PM
Exactly!! That's why parents need to be open and talk to their kids about these things early on...make sure they understand that there isn't anything to be ashamed of and keep the lines of communication open. I know it is hard, hard for me too, but as parents we must talk to our kids about sex...make sure they understand what it is...and that it isn't "dirty" and that they can talk about it...ask questions...We won't judge and will be willing to discuss anything with them in a way that they will feel comfortable enough to come to us if there is ever a problem!

well put:thumbsup: