PDA

View Full Version : Bush can't even hit .7%

MikeyCarson
07-06-2005, 09:53 PM
As it pertains to the G8 economic summit

This is what was reported in USA Today.

"Blair challenged G-8 countries which also include Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan and Russia to double aid to Africa from a current total of $25 billion to $50 billion by 2010. Blair also wants member nations to increase giving for all foreign aid to the equivalent of 0.7% of national incomes by 2015.
Bush, after initially resisting Blair's call, announced last Thursday that he would seek to double U.S. aid by 2010, to $8.6 billion from $4.3 billion in 2004. But Bush opposes the 0.7% target. Anti-poverty activists said Bush's goal of $8.6 billion fell about $6 billion short of what was needed from the United States to meet Blair's $50 billion target."

- what's truly sad is....if the statistic is true and a African dies every 3 secs.....and the goal date to increase aid is 2010....close to 53 million Africans will die during this time frame...that is simply a stagering figure that can not be ignored

purplejulied
07-06-2005, 10:42 PM

"Blair challenged G-8 countries which also include Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan and Russia to double aid to Africa from a current total of $25 billion to $50 billion by 2010. Blair also wants member nations to increase giving for all foreign aid to the equivalent of 0.7% of national incomes by 2015.
Bush, after initially resisting Blair's call, announced last Thursday that he would seek to double U.S. aid by 2010, to $8.6 billion from $4.3 billion in 2004. But Bush opposes the 0.7% target. Anti-poverty activists said Bush's goal of $8.6 billion fell about $6 billion short of what was needed from the United States to meet Blair's $50 billion target."

- what's truly sad is....if the statistic is true and a African dies every 3 secs.....and the goal date to increase aid is 2010....close to 53 million Africans will die during this time frame...that is simply a stagering figure that can not be ignored

It's so wrong; to die just because of where you are born. If this was anywhere else in the world, more would have already been done by now.

LibbyAnn
07-06-2005, 10:51 PM

The statistics are devastating. I was just chatting earlier with someone about all this. It makes me feel so helpless. Other than give a few bucks and use my freedom of speech to get the word out, it feels like there is little I can do to change situation.

The African governments need changing. Education needs to increase. Financial aide is a must. And more research on Aids so we can find the cure. All very overwhelming tasks! But I guess it all starts with one step and one voice added to another and each of us putting some action behind words and feelings.

MikeyCarson
07-06-2005, 11:36 PM
Other than give a few bucks and use my freedom of speech to get the word out, it feels like there is little I can do to change situation....
The statistics are devastating....The African governments need changing.
That's another hugh part of it...many of the governments there (in Africa) are corrupt (even more than ours)...they say in the poorest countries the richest people are the one/s who run it. The sad thing is even if the "8" or even the everyday person gives money....how can we even know for sure the money will get to the people who need it the most....All I know is we can't sit back and watch millions upon millions die...

I wish they actually charged money for the Live 8 shows...even if it was $5 a person...at that price with est. of a million people a show with 8 shows going on that's a small sum of $40 million that could have gone to aid. While the tag read "we don't want your money..." I kinda wish they had!

purplejulied
07-07-2005, 04:48 AM
That's another hugh part of it...many of the governments there (in Africa) are corrupt (even more than ours)...they say in the poorest countries the richest people are the one/s who run it. The sad thing is even if the "8" or even the everyday person gives money....how can we even know for sure the money will get to the people who need it the most....All I know is we can't sit back and watch millions upon millions die...

I wish they actually charged money for the Live 8 shows...even if it was $5 a person...at that price with est. of a million people a show with 8 shows going on that's a small sum of $40 million that could have gone to aid. While the tag read "we don't want your money..." I kinda wish they had!

I think more people showed because they didn't. However, lots of people bought shirts and bracelets.

Paige
07-07-2005, 04:43 PM
I want to elect Tony Blair as our President. I hate calling names, but Bush seems so selfish. I don't think it's okay to spend billions of dollars to keep troops in Iraq to kill people, when there are people dying of poverty and we are the most economically stable country. Doesn't it seem like his heart is in the wrong place? I've been really agitated about this all day...especially after the bombings in London. I found this exerpt in a book that for me, kinda says a lot

"Every hour so many damn things in the sky! How in hell did those bombers get up there every single second of our lives! Why doesn't someone want to talk about it! We've started and won two atomic wars since 1990! Is it because we're having so much fun at home we've forgotten the world? Is it because we're so rich and the rest of the world so poor and we just don't care if they are? I've heard rumors; the world is starving, but we're well fed. Is it true, the world works hard and we play? Is that why we're hated so much? I've heard the rumors about hate, too, once in a long while, over the years. Do you know why? I don't, that's sure."

Some days I just don't understand how people think...

theponderousman
07-07-2005, 05:08 PM
You know, it's tough to compare a lot of what's going on in Iraq with what's happening in Africa. Don't get me wrong, something MORE has GOT to be done in Africa, I'm the 1st to agree with that. BUT...the situation in Iraq is different. And, although I'm not here to pick a fight, I highly doubt we're in Irag spending millions to 'kill people'. In fact, we've probably saved MORE Iraqi lives by being over there than had Saddam kept power. Thousands of people were dying under Saddam's rule. Yes, troops have been killed and Iraqi soldiers, police and civilians have died, but they're tasting freedom, or WILL BE in some areas.....the 1st time in some of their lives.

Does that 'positive' outlook negate what kind of an ASS the US is being about other countries....absolutely not, but I would just be cautious about trying to use 1 situation to enflame another.

The idiots that run this government (BOTH parties!) are in their positions mainly for themselves folks....rarely will they hold true to their promise of serving the public from whom they were elected, and those few that do, unfortunately aren't rewarded for doing so by the party leaders. :(

MikeyCarson
07-07-2005, 05:17 PM
I've been really agitated about this all day...especially after the bombings in London.

Kinda makes you wonder why London was bombed today...was it London being selected to host the Olympics or Blairs stance at the G8 conference?

Paige
07-07-2005, 08:13 PM
You know, it's tough to compare a lot of what's going on in Iraq with what's happening in Africa. Don't get me wrong, something MORE has GOT to be done in Africa, I'm the 1st to agree with that. BUT...the situation in Iraq is different. And, although I'm not here to pick a fight, I highly doubt we're in Irag spending millions to 'kill people'. In fact, we've probably saved MORE Iraqi lives by being over there than had Saddam kept power. Thousands of people were dying under Saddam's rule. Yes, troops have been killed and Iraqi soldiers, police and civilians have died, but they're tasting freedom, or WILL BE in some areas.....the 1st time in some of their lives.

Does that 'positive' outlook negate what kind of an ASS the US is being about other countries....absolutely not, but I would just be cautious about trying to use 1 situation to enflame another.

The idiots that run this government (BOTH parties!) are in their positions mainly for themselves folks....rarely will they hold true to their promise of serving the public from whom they were elected, and those few that do, unfortunately aren't rewarded for doing so by the party leaders. :(

I totally understand. We had a purpose to be there, and to me that purpose was fufilled. We liberated the Iraqi's/we need to give them their country back. Thats just how I've always looked at it. I wasn't trying to compare the two countries, just using an example of how our money's being spent. I'm getting a little skeptical.

spoonInspoon
07-07-2005, 09:47 PM
YET... We can spend MIllions and Millions on the WAR,but we can't help all that much to help feed and aid the poor... This makes me sick, I didn't vote for him

spoonInspoon
07-07-2005, 09:51 PM
BTW... Where are those W.O.M.D? that we were all "So Convinced" Sadaam had... Iraq had nothing to do with 9/11. Bush planned on Invading Iraq WAAAAY before that tragic event even happend... And now this London thing WTF

theponderousman
07-07-2005, 10:17 PM
YET... We can spend MIllions and Millions on the WAR,but we can't help all that much to help feed and aid the poor... This makes me sick, I didn't vote for him

Actually it's BILLIONS and billions....don't let him slide too much there :biggrin:

Keep in mind everyone, that it's not just been Bush that has turned away from helping 'no-purpose' nations as much as he could have. Democrats and republicans alike, both in congress and in the WH don't do much for countries that don't hold much 'value' for the US. They are all politicians, NOT humanitarians...

BTW... Where are those W.O.M.D? that we were all "So Convinced" Sadaam had... Iraq had nothing to do with 9/11. Bush planned on Invading Iraq WAAAAY before that tragic event even happend... And now this London thing WTF

He may have had an interest in removing Saddam from power, not too many smart people will dispute that unless they're someone big in a political party or have an overbearing need to defend their party, but with the information given to him by parties he was willing to hear, a case was made and you cannot forget that even the U.N. had and agreed upon that information. Yes, he was willing to go it alone and we pretty much are, but just about everyone that had a say in it on both parties allowed that to happen.

Sorry, late night gets me going :) I love these kinds of discussions, wooo

spoonInspoon
07-07-2005, 10:32 PM
Well more politicians should be MORE like Humanitarians...If they give a f*ck about the future of mankind...Thats why I'll label myself a Liberal -Democrat...

.And yeah sorry Billions... It just makes me sick when Bush talks about what they are doing in Iraq he ALWAYS brings up 9-11, those are two seperate issues.The UN done F**ked up... and followed Bush's lead and the 9/11 excuse.Now we got Terrorists all over the World Threatening The UN because of the invasion of IRAQ... messed up shit i tell you

MikeyCarson
07-07-2005, 10:56 PM
I watched a special on PBS tonight...that dealt with terrorism...but mentioned todays events...they say there are terrorists getting out of prison because the US won't give other counties access to the people we have detained or in prison for these crimes....other countries need them to testify against who they have arrested...but since they can't build a case they are forced to let them go. Spain has some guy who was arrested 3 years ago...by there law they can hold him for 4 years...but they think there going to have to release him cause the US has two people they need but we won't give them. It's the usual never ending saga of bullshit

purplejulied
07-07-2005, 10:58 PM
I watched a special on PBS tonight...that dealt with terrorism...but mentioned todays events...they say there are terrorists getting out of prison because the US won't give other counties access to the people we have detained or in prison for these crimes....other countries need them to testify against who they have arrested...but since they can't build a case they are forced to let them go. Spain has some guy who was arrested 3 years ago...by there law they can hold him for 4 years...but they think there going to have to release him cause the US has two people they need but we won't give them. It's the usual never ending saga of bullshit

total bullshit

onesuiteworld
07-10-2005, 07:44 PM

amen, i kno exactly what you mean, which is why this country's mentality baffles me. lets vote ofr moral values, yet bomb the shit outta helpless o****ries. theres poverty, hunger, anc violence throughout the world, but god forbid we let those gays get married. its sickening

as far as the bombings, when i first heard of them, my first instinct was 'why not us??'. i thought for sure the next terrorist attack would occur here. to be fair, i think that if a country were to get it, none would be more deserving than us. am i advocating the slaughter of americans, of course not. it just shocked me that that is where they went, and not here.

onesuiteworld
07-10-2005, 07:45 PM
Well more politicians should be MORE like Humanitarians...If they give a f*ck about the future of mankind...Thats why I'll label myself a Liberal -Democrat...

.And yeah sorry Billions... It just makes me sick when Bush talks about what they are doing in Iraq he ALWAYS brings up 9-11, those are two seperate issues.The UN done F**ked up... and followed Bush's lead and the 9/11 excuse.Now we got Terrorists all over the World Threatening The UN because of the invasion of IRAQ... messed up shit i tell you

amen to that too

spaceycrush
07-10-2005, 07:51 PM
this whole thing makes me sick. the next election cannot come soon enough. ugh....

purplejulied
07-10-2005, 08:01 PM
this whole thing makes me sick. the next election cannot come soon enough. ugh....

I totally agree. What I don't understand is why people are still standing behind him. "Everybody Wake Up"

theponderousman
07-10-2005, 09:39 PM
I totally agree. What I don't understand is why people are still standing behind him. "Everybody Wake Up"

Well obviously not 'everybody' is behind him :lol: Sorry, couldn't resist!

I actually had a fun drunken discussion with some friends yesterday down by the pool and 1 of them happened to be a 'Bush Hater', although not a far left liberal (yes there's a difference). As much as I love talking to extreme right and left wingers, I can only take so much, so it was nice to talk to her and have someone actually try and comprehend the other side's views.

Although at times I DO defend certain aspects of what Bush is doing mainly in 100% support of our troops), I think ultimately, one of the ONLY reasons he stayed in power this term is the Iraqi war. Yeah, it was a HUGE negative for him, but I think that a LOT of people also realized that, for the troops and also for the Iraqi people, switching the leader in charge was not a bright idea. He got lucky and had the Iraq war not been where it was, and also had an extreme left winger (Kerry or even Dean) not been running, we'd have a democrat in office.

The ultimate SAD aspect of the past election, was that the attitude that most of the middle of the road people had (including democrats and republicans but still middle of the road), was 'which 1 is the lesser of the two bad choices'. You can try and blame the christian collation or whoever, but I'm not here to play the blame game as a lot of extremists (right and left again) tend to do. There were all TYPES of people that voted this past election, not just religious folks :)

Now, before all of the Kerry lovers or Bush Haters (again a difference) get all up tight, we all have our opinions and I totally respect that and I hope you respect mine :) I'm not a fan of Bush, don't take this post as you might initially think. I believe that he's the best man for our troops and for the Iraqi people, but not necessarily for our economy or the best interests of anyone other than his big business friends.

I have a STRONG feeling that this next major election will help define a new era of politics. Ordinary people that DID get involved this past time around got VERY tired of what both parties have given us. Nothing concrete to back that up so don't ask for proof :) Just a feeling from talking to SO many people about it.

Enjoy your week everyone, great conversations!

Christian

spoonInspoon
07-15-2005, 12:09 AM
We just need an honest POLITICIAN (i know its an oxymoron) in office whos biggest concern around the world is the PEOPLE/HUMANITARISM and global problems instead of lame duck presidents (Bush) who only give two shits about Big Buisness and Riding the "Were the Greatest Nation in the entire world and were gonna fuck up3rd world countries and start pointless wars (to make things worse)" high horse...

purplejulied
07-15-2005, 12:15 AM
We just need an honest POLITICIAN (i know its an oxymoron) in office whos biggest concern around the world is the PEOPLE/HUMANITARISM and global problems instead of lame duck presidents (Bush) who only give two shits about Big Buisness and Riding the "Were the Greatest Nation in the entire world and were gonna fuck up3rd world countries and start pointless wars (to make things worse)" high horse...

totally agree

money/my name is clean cause I scrub it good
with guns and gasoline gonna save the world

nothings obscene if we just close our eyes

welcome to this joyride

runner4
07-15-2005, 10:39 AM
you hit the bulls-eye thepondersousman
i couldn't agree more.....