PDA

View Full Version : Spontaneous Combustion on human beings (discussion and debate)

spoonInspoon
06-28-2005, 11:09 PM
So... Do you think its possible for human beings to spontaneously combust ?

Cause i seen this episode of southpark once... and i dunno seems scientificly possible

purplejulied
06-28-2005, 11:10 PM
I think it depends on how much alcohol one has been consuming--just kidding :lol:

purplejulied
06-28-2005, 11:13 PM
I had to check it out on google

here is a website

www.crystalinks.com/shc.html (http://www.crystalinks.com/shc.html)

this requires further study

spoonInspoon
06-28-2005, 11:15 PM
LMFAO !!!:lol:

Ahem... yes this does require further study

purplejulied
06-28-2005, 11:19 PM
Wait there's more.

The same website has a link to yet another interesting phenomena

Spontaneus Human Involuntary Invisibility

I'm laughing so hard I'm crying

spoonInspoon
06-28-2005, 11:23 PM
Wait there's more.

The same website has a link to yet another interesting phenomena

Spontaneus Human Involuntary Invisibility

I'm laughing so hard I'm crying

Shit, im still reading the spontaneous combustion cases.:lol: :lol:

The last case of somebody spontaneously combusting was December 5th 1966...

spoonInspoon
06-28-2005, 11:25 PM
Over the past 300 years, there have been more than 200 reports of persons burning to a crisp for no apparent reason

Damn........... better start goin to church

theponderousman
06-28-2005, 11:32 PM
So... Do you think its possible for human beings to spontaneously combust ?
possible

*wonders if BrYan is keeping an eye on this post too* :lol:

purplejulied
06-28-2005, 11:32 PM
All reported cases have occurred indoors. The victims were always alone for a long period of time.

Just need to avoid the above mentioned combination.:boings:

MikeyCarson
06-28-2005, 11:33 PM
The last case of somebody spontaneously combusting was December 5th 1966...
Well thank God were over that hurdle :lol:

purplejulied
06-28-2005, 11:33 PM
*wonders if BrYan is keeping an eye on this post too* :lol:

Bryan is all seeing:praise:

MikeyCarson
06-28-2005, 11:35 PM
(whispering so Bryan can't here him) actually he's currently off the boards...so I think were safe for now...shhh...shhhh

purplejulied
06-28-2005, 11:37 PM
(whispering so Bryan can't here him) actually he's currently off the boards...so I think were safe for now...shhh...shhhh

thanks for the heads up

spoonInspoon
06-28-2005, 11:37 PM
Hmmm i should do a search on google about animals and or pets spontaneously combusting... I swear i heard about a goldfish case somewhere in the papers

(up1)

MikeyCarson
06-28-2005, 11:39 PM
That was just cause a kid got hungry and threw Nemo in the microwave for 3 minutes

spoonInspoon
06-28-2005, 11:42 PM
Poor Nemo...

(up 1 )

purplejulied
06-28-2005, 11:45 PM
So,

we haven't debated yet whether we think this is a legitimate thing. I find it suspicious that no cases have occured in over 35 years.

spoonInspoon
06-28-2005, 11:50 PM
So,

we haven't debated yet whether we think this is a legitimate thing. I find it suspicious that no cases have occured in over 35 years.

Maybe the government got smart and decided to hide any other cases of it so people wouldn't get freaked out :confused: .... so it still might be happening...:screwy:

MikeyCarson
06-28-2005, 11:52 PM
That's because everyone has been vaccinated for it. In a secret experiments which began in July of 1967 the US Government set out to put an end to SHC (or Spontanious Human Combustion). The tests proven successful and the vaccine was then shipped out to hospitals...here's the catch...the vaccine needs to be given within the first 2 hours of being born. So everyone born after December of 1967 should be good. Ever wonder where they take a newborn shortly after there born.....that's it!

purplejulied
06-28-2005, 11:52 PM
Maybe the government got smart and decided to hide any other cases of it so people wouldn't get freaked out :confused: .... so it still might be happening...:screwy:

I do find it interesting that the body temperatures reached so high, and yet the furniture in the room wasn't burned.

Ps--a new thread in honor of insomnia

MikeyCarson
06-28-2005, 11:55 PM
Ps--a new thread in honor of insomnia
Right there with you on that!

purplejulied
06-28-2005, 11:57 PM
I think this needs to be considered for thread of the week.:lol:

MikeyCarson
06-28-2005, 11:58 PM
Good to know...I think:

"The physical possibilities of spontaneous human combustion are remote. Not only is the body mostly water, but aside from fat tissue and methane gas, there isn't much that burns readily in a human body. To cremate a human body requires a temperature of 1600 degrees Fahrenheit for about two hours. To get a chemical reaction in a human body which would lead to ignition would require some doing. If the deceased had recently eaten an enormous amount of hay that was infested with bacteria, enough heat might be generated to ignite the hay, but not much besides the gut and intestines would probably burn. Or, if the deceased had been eating the newspaper and drunk some oil, and was left to rot for a couple of weeks in a well-heated room, his gut might ignite.
It is true that the ignition point of human fat is low, but to get the fire going would probably require an external source. Once ignited, however, some researchers think that a "wick effect" from the body's fat would burn hot enough in certain places to destroy even bones. To prove that a human being might burn like a candle, Dr. John de Haan of the California Criminalistic Institute wrapped a dead pig in a blanket, poured a small amount of gasoline on the blanket, and ignited it. Even the bones were destroyed after five hours of continuous burning. The fat content of a pig is very similar to the fat content of a human being. The damage to the pig, according to Dr. De Haan "is exactly the same as that from supposed spontaneous human combustion."

In their investigation of a number of SHC cases, Dr. Joe Nickell and Dr. John Fisher found that when the destruction of the body was minimal, the only significant fuel source was the individual's clothes, but where the destruction was considerable, additional fuel sources increased the combustion. Materials under the body help retain melted fat that flows from the body and serves to keep it burning."

spoonInspoon
06-28-2005, 11:59 PM
I do find it interesting that the body temperatures reached so high, and yet the furniture in the room wasn't burned.

Indeed... Hmmm... There has to be something that causes it.

WAIT, seaguls combust if you give them Alka Seltzer (never have done it don't worry):feedbirds So we could be on to something

MikeyCarson
06-29-2005, 12:01 AM
Birds + Rice = BOOM
that's why they don't throw rice at weddings anymore!

purplejulied
06-29-2005, 12:02 AM
If the deceased had recently eaten an enormous amount of hay that was infested with bacteria, enough heat might be generated to ignite the hay, but not much besides the gut and intestines would probably burn. Or, if the deceased had been eating the newspaper and drunk some oil, and was left to rot for a couple of weeks in a well-heated room, his gut might ignite.

I think I'm safe for these.

spoonInspoon
06-29-2005, 12:02 AM
:boings: Birds + Rice = BOOM

We are gettin some where !!!!

That Article helped out alot as well :thumbsup:

(up 1)

purplejulied
06-29-2005, 12:04 AM
Hey Damian,

you are almost at 500.:)

spoonInspoon
06-29-2005, 12:05 AM
What if a human were to consume a real large amount of Yeast ( a levening agent ) and sit in a real hot room for a couple of hours, than you think he or she would combust ?????

purplejulied
06-29-2005, 12:06 AM
Birds + Rice = BOOM

I must have missed a few steps. Explain please where this deduction comes from.:biggrin:

MikeyCarson
06-29-2005, 12:07 AM
We'd probable be talking about a 500 lb barrel of Vegimite

:thankyou: 500th POST:thankyou:

166 more to go

theponderousman
06-29-2005, 12:07 AM
Hey Damian,

you are almost at 500.:)

*wonders how long it will be before the posts in 'nDMB Discussion will cease to count towards your postings* :lol:

spoonInspoon
06-29-2005, 12:08 AM
I'm really stuck on this Yeast theory

MikeyCarson
06-29-2005, 12:08 AM
I must have missed a few steps. Explain please where this deduction comes from.:biggrin:
What happens to rice when it gets wet...it expands...so when the birds eat the rice...it gets wet in their stomachs and swells...they eat enough of it an BOOM

purplejulied
06-29-2005, 12:10 AM
Ok,

I thought you got that from something in the article, and then added the wedding part.

spoonInspoon
06-29-2005, 12:11 AM
What happens to rice when it gets wet...it expands...so when the birds eat the rice...it gets wet in their stomachs and swells...they eat enough of it an BOOM

^Exactly, Now picture a human consuming let's say about 2 pounds of Yeast (stuff Which makes bread expand) all you need is a little bit for like a whole loaf of bread (im a cook) anyway consume 2 punds of this stuff and sit in a sauna for a couple hours and I think maybe it would be possible once the yeast hits you stomach /small intestine

MikeyCarson
06-29-2005, 12:12 AM
*wonders how long it will be before the posts in 'nDMB Discussion will cease to count towards your postings* :lol:
Prob. sometime this afternoon

purplejulied
06-29-2005, 12:13 AM
Sounds like a new form of torture.

MikeyCarson
06-29-2005, 12:13 AM
^Exactly, Now picture a human consuming let's say about 2 pounds of Yeast (stuff Which makes bread expand) all you need is a little bit for like a whole loaf of bread (im a cook) anyway consume 2 punds of this stuff and sit in a sauna for a couple hours and I think maybe it would be possible once the yeast hits you stomach /small intestine
Ok it might f up your intestines...they might swell and blow up but you wouldn't burst into flames

purplejulied
06-29-2005, 12:16 AM
Prob. sometime this afternoon

We are having a legitimate discussion about paranormal phenomina

MikeyCarson
06-29-2005, 12:21 AM
The truth is out there Scully!

spoonInspoon
06-29-2005, 12:21 AM
Ok it might f up your intestines...they might swell and blow up but you wouldn't burst into flames

ok...

then Drink Bacardi 151 with nothing else, a whole bottle, and immediatly after the last shot ,put a match to your tounge the flame then would travel all the waaaaay down you esophigous (i suck at spelling) and immediatly hit the stomach(like a gas tank) and then boom!!!!!

Bacardi is craaazzzy flamible ever do a flamming dr pepper ???

MikeyCarson
06-29-2005, 12:22 AM
hmmm...well give it a try....let me know how that works for ya!

spoonInspoon
06-29-2005, 12:24 AM
Spontaneous Combustion is only possible if done manually...

(up 1)

purplejulied
06-29-2005, 12:24 AM
ok...

then Drink Bacardi 151 with nothing else, a whole bottle, and immediatly after the last shot ,put a match to your tounge the flame then would travel all the waaaaay down you esophigous (i suck at spelling) and immediatly hit the stomach(like a gas tank) and then boom!!!!!

Reminds me of a Donald Duck and Bugs Bunny cartoon I saw once.:lol:

Pakelikaforprezz
06-29-2005, 01:33 AM
oh man. I was just reading on about random things on that site... like, appearances of MAry, haunted castles, pictures of ghosts, documented material on human invisibility.

Man this shit gives me the freakin' creeps!http://weeklydavespeak.com/forums/images/smilies/eek.gif

purplehaze18
06-29-2005, 01:36 AM
Well, i guess we add another one to the cant sleep list?

Pakelikaforprezz
06-29-2005, 01:41 AM
haha. tell me about it. I probably wont fall asleep for another hour and half at least.... damn irregular sleeping schedule.

P.S. Sorry for just barging in on everyone's conversation. =\

purplehaze18
06-29-2005, 01:47 AM
i think everyone else is asleep lol

Pakelikaforprezz
06-29-2005, 01:50 AM
lol. Lightweights. Did you ever play the game, Spear of Destiny? it was a Doom-like game played in 1st person where you went through a Nazi invaded castle of random monsters and soldiers killing basically anything? \

Anywho, whether you did or didn't, read this crazy ass story about the Spear of Destiny. http://www.crystalinks.com/speardestiny.html (http://www.crystalinks.com/speardestiny.html)

purplehaze18
06-29-2005, 01:51 AM
i wont be reading that until it isnt 5 am and i havent slept more than 8 hours in the last 3 days

Pakelikaforprezz
06-29-2005, 01:52 AM
hahaha. aahh its like 2 minutes of reading, lazy. Its 5 am therE? ah, I guess that makes sense. Flippin' time zones.

purplehaze18
06-29-2005, 01:53 AM
and heres a giant penguin to cheer you up

purplehaze18
06-29-2005, 01:54 AM
its not so much the amount of sleep its more whats happened, if you wanna kno check out the late night thread i have a drama going on lol

Pakelikaforprezz
06-29-2005, 01:54 AM
Hahahahhaa wtf? That thing is pretty scary lookin. I'm not a big fan of penguins, however I am a fan of disco.http://weeklydavespeak.com/forums/images/smilies/lol.gif

purplehaze18
06-29-2005, 01:57 AM
Yeah that one definatly cheered me up today, not much else did but come on, a giant disco penguin just works

Pakelikaforprezz
06-29-2005, 01:59 AM
I'm tryin to find somone covering DMB. me and my buddies do from time to time, and I think its decent...just wondering if anyone else had some clips. They're not-so-easy to find

purplehaze18
06-29-2005, 02:04 AM
howie day- watchtower/halloween

Pakelikaforprezz
06-29-2005, 02:17 AM
aawwwww bless you! I've been hearing about this for a while, but could never find it! GRACIAS!

Dave L
06-29-2005, 02:19 AM
MY GOD!
I go to bed for a couple hours and there is a SIX page thread on spontaneous human combustion!:lol:

It is a good thing I am the watcher of this forum. You guys crack me up.:thumbsup:

PS- love the Disco Penguin, my day can't get any better now.

Pakelikaforprezz
06-29-2005, 02:26 AM
hahahahaha. Thats why I love this effin forum.http://weeklydavespeak.com/forums/images/smilies/boings.gif

HLShivers
06-29-2005, 05:56 AM
This is fantastic! I've always wondered though, Why don't their feet ever burn? Anyone else ever notice that? It's always from like the ankles up...I don't get it. Seems like something else is behind it....lol. Shit, now y'all got me curious and I have to go read up.
Is this what y'all do at night???:lol:

purplejulied
06-29-2005, 06:59 AM
I usually don't stay up very late. Everyone's participation kept me going. We laughted a lot last night, except for when Purple and I chatted. It was an awesome night overall.:boings:

theponderousman
06-29-2005, 08:59 AM
ok...

That might work! we'll all try it at Red Rocks! Flaming Dr Peppers are pretty good stuff! mmmmmm

spoonInspoon
06-29-2005, 12:05 PM
I usually don't stay up very late. Everyone's participation kept me going. We laughted a lot last night, except for when Purple and I chatted. It was an awesome night overall.:boings:

LOL, yeah me and Julie got little carried away on here last night:lol:

purplejulied
06-29-2005, 09:07 PM
so much so they had to close my thead--won't make thread of the week-lol:lol:

HLShivers
06-30-2005, 05:33 AM
I know, I liked that thread too!

purplejulied
06-30-2005, 05:33 AM
Thanks for your support.:lol:

HLShivers
06-30-2005, 05:41 AM
You're welcome! :boings:
I need more people up this time of day! How am I supposed to post with no one saying anything!

spoonInspoon
06-30-2005, 11:20 AM
Thanks for your support.:lol:

Damn it that thread was great ! o-well we still got this one

HLShivers
06-30-2005, 11:27 AM
Anyone find out anything on why the feet don't burn??

purplejulied
06-30-2005, 06:32 PM
Feet don't have a lot of fat--that may be one reason

spoonInspoon
07-01-2005, 01:28 AM
Feet don't have a lot of fat--that may be one reason

Wow a joke thread to up posts turned into an actual discussion... this place is magic, and i need sleep

purplehaze18
07-01-2005, 01:30 AM
We all need sleep

purplejulied
07-05-2005, 08:33 PM
I wonder what part of the body burns the fastest?

HLShivers
07-06-2005, 05:30 AM
Wow, Ya really think it's the lack of fatty tissue? I never thought of that one before.

purplejulied
07-06-2005, 06:42 AM
I don't know. you would need some fat for length of time to burn; but what else would make the feet not burn. feet are maining bone and lots of ligaments. very little muscle or fat.

HLShivers
07-06-2005, 08:45 AM
But what about you're hands? They don't have fat either....
It's just the weirdest thing ever, I'm not sure there is an explaination on it.

Dave L
07-06-2005, 02:22 PM
But what about you're hands? They don't have fat either....
It's just the weirdest thing ever, I'm not sure there is an explaination on it.
Actually your hands do contain a subcutaneous layer of fat cells, not to mention your hands are usually in relatively close proximity to your body, so it would be like a pizza in a an oven. Sllllooooowww burn.
As for feet, well many people just have cold ones:lol:.

BlazerX84
07-06-2005, 08:52 PM
We actually studied SHC last semester in a Chemistry course and looked at several different cases and compared/contrasted similarities among the victims. Oddly enough, there is one case of a lady named Jeanie Saffin...I believe that is the one, a woman who was mentally retarted and is the only case of SHC where it actually took place with others in the room (in this case at a breakfast table with her mom and dad present) Apparently as her dad recollects the account, flames just started spewing forth from her mouth. You'll have to look it up for more details.

The most amazing thing about all the cases are how the upper body is almost completely disintigrated and the feet and part of the legs remain intact. Funny thing is, even the bones were left as ashes, and even when a body is burned for cremation, it has to be put into an oven that reaches temperatures of 2000+ degrees, and that doesnt even burn the bones all the way, they have to be physically crushed and broken down then burned again to dispose of these completely...so how can such temperatures be reached in these cases where absolutely nothing but ash is left. Craziness.

purplejulied
07-06-2005, 09:45 PM
We actually studied SHC last semester in a Chemistry course and looked at several different cases and compared/contrasted similarities among the victims. Oddly enough, there is one case of a lady named Jeanie Saffin...I believe that is the one, a woman who was mentally retarted and is the only case of SHC where it actually took place with others in the room (in this case at a breakfast table with her mom and dad present) Apparently as her dad recollects the account, flames just started spewing forth from her mouth. You'll have to look it up for more details.

The most amazing thing about all the cases are how the upper body is almost completely disintigrated and the feet and part of the legs remain intact. Funny thing is, even the bones were left as ashes, and even when a body is burned for cremation, it has to be put into an oven that reaches temperatures of 2000+ degrees, and that doesnt even burn the bones all the way, they have to be physically crushed and broken down then burned again to dispose of these completely...so how can such temperatures be reached in these cases where absolutely nothing but ash is left. Craziness.

It's so wierd. This hasn't happened recently at all.