PDA

View Full Version : Non-DMB?

icee268
09-17-2004, 10:24 PM
There is a place on a DMB site for non-Dave? There is life after Dave? :confused: :biggrin: I know, bad joke.

I'm a new-comer to the site and in comparison a relatively new fan to DMB considering most people go back to the mid 90s. So I had to be completely obsessed in the past few years to catch up with everyone. But in speaking to other "obsessed fans" I was wondering . . . how much has dave, if any, influenced your life? Not necessarily lifestyle like your time spent; but how much of your beliefs, worldview, etc. do you find is influenced by dave? any specfics you care to share?

Dave L
09-18-2004, 07:08 AM
Interesting topic. I have been a fan of Dave from pretty much the beggining, maybe not the the type of "fan" we define today, but as he surfaced you could tell there was definitely something special there. He is extremely talented and persistent and that is what shined through most for me. It's quite evident he makes the best of things when he can, changes things when he can and enjoys life without taking it for granted as many people do. These are qualities anyone would/should be proud to possess. "Dave" and freinds fosters an inspiration in me to enjoy what I have in my own life, my friends, my family my memories of times good and bad. (Plus I've renewed my love of guitar). What's everybody else got?

GraveDiggingADitch
09-20-2004, 12:04 PM
I agree... what is Non-Dmb... doesn't everything have DMB in it? somewhere?

Being a pretty open minded person....I think that if you listen to Dave and follow him as a fan in any respect, it is pretty hard not to be influenced by him or more knowledgable because of him. Be it from his political views or his personal fights, listening to his words and music can give somebody a different view....that is ...if you listen to him with an open mind. Obviuosly, if one listens to any speaker/musician with a closed mind and is only fixated on their own personal views....it makes it difficult for anybody to reach them. When you listen to Dave as much as many of us do, and follow on what he has to say, it opens the listener up to a new view. Whether you agree with it or not is not what matters, more-so that you listened to it, heard what he had to say, and reacted to it in some sort of manner....and the listener is entitled to disagree with his view because it is their right to think what they think. In that...it has had an impact on how you think. In terms of his political views for instance, you may disagree whole-heartedly with his...however, listening to his views may open lead to a new "thinking/thought-process" in your head. It will give you another factor or line of thought to weigh into your views. This holds true for anybody that is involved in your life. His music may have the same kind of impact on somebody. Somebody could be sitting around, listen to his music and just listen to it for the sake of the great music....but at the same time, they could listen to it, hear the lyrics and make it through a difficult time a little easier because of the inspiration that it gives them.
Personally, I dont know if I get through times a whole lot easier directly because of his music and lyrics, but I know just the sound of his music can put me in a much better mood and take me out of a bad moment that I may be having. (Of course, except for those songs that instantly trigger a memory that could be bad...eventually they go away though). His songs, however, do constantly remind me that there can always be a better moment (its hard for them not to) ---> Example..... Even though "what I want is what Ive not got" and I "want TOO much" i should always "make the best of whats around" and "remember 2 things", 1) "everyday" should be a "good good time" and 2) not to "burn the day away" or else I'll "pay for what [I] get" ....so with that... Ill be like an "Angel" and just "go ahead and fly"
-just my own personal 2 cents.."i cannot speak for all the rest"
(man, this is kinda fun...i wanna write everything like this....(ok i admit im a "dodo")) :screwy:

fanofdmb75
09-20-2004, 12:18 PM
there is nothing that compares to dave and co. i have been a fan for as long as i can remember. to me the music that the band creates is nothing short of magical. i find that when i listen to dmb, i always feel better, even if i am feeling sad. does that make any sense? i had many negative things happen and one thing that always remained true was dmb and the feeling that i have when i hear their music. almost like a sign. for example... i was out at the store purchasing a new phone... wasn't quite sure if i should buy when right as i decided to the video for space between came on. no hesitation after that. another... i was having brain surg... very upset and anxious. my very best friend had brought a dmb cd to the hospital and played it prior to my surg for me... i truly believe that they had a calming effect on me, (crash is an unbelievably wonderful cd that holds dear memories of friends and family). there are three songs that have lately been inspirational or have been a part of my daily routine.... grey st, because i feel like dave has tapped into my own head to write the song... i mean i seems to perfectly capture the way i can feel most days. the stone (acoustic) because it is so beautiful. and dancing nancies because i ALWAYS sing outloud and happily to that one. anyway, i may sound like a dork, but i don't care because i feel that dmb has helped me through many a hard day.

GraveDiggingADitch
09-20-2004, 02:13 PM
there is nothing that compares to dave and co. i have been a fan for as long as i can remember. to me the music that the band creates is nothing short of magical. i find that when i listen to dmb, i always feel better, even if i am feeling sad. does that make any sense?

Completely.... right on the money. Magical it is....

and dancing nancies because i ALWAYS sing outloud and happily to that one. anyway, i may sound like a dork, but i don't care because i feel that dmb has helped me through many a hard day.

"Could i have been somebody other than myself ? I WONDER!!! "
Ill shout it out with you!!!

fanofdmb75
09-21-2004, 04:13 PM
nice to know someone else shouts the words too. people look at me kinda funny when i am driving and singing.... :confused:

icee268
09-21-2004, 08:12 PM
people look at me kinda funny when i am driving and singing....

really? I usually get the laughing out loud or some small smirk, on one occassion the person tried singing along with me . . . that was actually cool, because she was a cutie.

Jimmithing41
09-24-2004, 01:49 PM
The guys havent influenced my views on anything.

I do wanna say that DMB has introduced me to most of my friends and to my beautiful girlfriend. Ive met soo many awesome Warehouse members from being on the boards and thay have become very close friends. DMB does wonderful things for ya.. :biggrin:

fanofdmb75
09-25-2004, 04:01 AM
very true. dmb has allowed me to meet new people and to expand my friendships with others. if only there was a way to thank them.... :boings:

DMatthewsCutieUF
09-26-2004, 11:35 AM
Well, I agree.... DMB has helped me to meet some amazing people everywhere. I have yet to go to a concert where someone has been unfriendly or just not cool to be around. We all have the same love for music and it shows! Yes, there were a lot of newbies at the show this year and not as many people singing along with new stuff, but it was still great!! ..As a musician, DAVE inspirres me to be a better and more confident performer. He shows us that even things like death,suicide,etc. can be beautiful things and not terrifying things. When The World Ends was the subject of a long English paper that I wrote and while I was writing it, I thought about the day that could happen and smiled. If its like Dave says, I won't mind it at all......His music,lyrics,chords,etc..just make you melt no matter what. Music unites us all and we can thank DMB for that !! Thanks Icee for starting this discussion:-) GO GATORS! :boings: