PDA

View Full Version : Y'all Can Help: Cable or DSL?

Shannon
04-01-2005, 09:33 PM
In order for me to stop complaining about how I can never download great stuff off of this site, my dad put me up to the task of researching cable and wireless. Since I don't know where to start, or have any references, I figure you already blessed people can assist me. Please.:confused: :praise:

Alice
04-01-2005, 09:39 PM
make sure you go for cable internet (http://www.comparenow.net/Broadband.html)and not dsl...wireless is good if you want to connect more than 1 computer to the internet and you don't want to run a cat-5 cable between the two...also check out all of the services your cable internet provides offers...we get digital cable for the tv, telephone service, and internat all in 1 package...

Dave L
04-02-2005, 06:50 AM
Cable all the way. Dont worry about the cost...it's worth it. You should be able to haggle for some deals. Just say "...well a friend of mine just got it for this...for this many months..."etc.
Once you have it you'll never give it up.:lol:
It's super fast
It's secure
etc.
etc.:lol:

Charles
04-02-2005, 10:15 AM
yes go with Cable. cauuse Dsl drives me nuts just ask Alice. Especially when we play games. Cable all the way

Rob
04-02-2005, 10:22 AM
I've used broadband cable for a few years now. Broadband internet is probably one of the most important utilties you can have entering your home. More important than television for sure.

I'm a strong advocate of cable over DSL, though I've seen DSL used with good success too. Generally it seems you can get just as fast if not faster transfer rates from cable that you can get from a DSL connection. (cable transfer speed is partially based on the number of people in your 'neighborhood' using it when you are, DSL is dedicated so your transfer rate does not change)

Definitely ask them for an introductory rate or a free 1-3 month trial to get started. Also, maybe find a friend who already has cable or dsl. If you tell the company that your pal recommended you, your pal will get one month of free service.

You can probably expect to pay between $39 and $50 a month. The good news is that after you drop whoever you use for a modem connection, you're saving $14-20 a month AND freeing up a phone line. A lot of people keep an extra phone line for internet, so that could be dropping an additional $15 or so a month. In cases like this, the upgrade to broadband is like $20 a month or something. We're talking pennies a day!

Save a child, get broadband.

rob

DMBFOX7899
04-02-2005, 11:11 AM
get cable its better than dsl i have dsl and my other friends have cable, i wanted cable for so long but once i got dsl i found its good enough. i really dont dl that much stuff and when i do its a lot faster then dial up. advantages of dsl are that its faster then dial up and it also frees up a phone line cuz they have these filters that u install to every phone in ur house. advantages of cable, faster then dial up and at times (most of the time) faster then DSL, and frees up phone line with out having to install filters. however a little pricy over dsl just dont tell ur dad that.

Shannon
04-02-2005, 10:36 PM
Thanks guys. Appreciate it all. I highly doubt cost would be an issue. And anyway, with all the stress dial-up is putting on me (took me 40 mintues to try and get online...with a sucky connection...), I might live 3 hours longer! :lol:

Another question he wants me to answer...What hookups are needed for this...Into the house and all. Setups...?

Brandon
04-02-2005, 11:07 PM
Thanks guys. Appreciate it all. I highly doubt cost would be an issue. And anyway, with all the stress dial-up is putting on me (took me 40 mintues to try and get online...with a sucky connection...), I might live 3 hours longer! :lol:

Another question he wants me to answer...What hookups are needed for this...Into the house and all. Setups...?

for cable? well, you'll need the cable modem itself (either you can buy from them or pay monthly on till you own it) least that how it works here, then a router if you plan on having more than one computer hooked up to it, and the cords...they should come and get it started for you, however, they usually refuse to fuck with routers or offer any help on it, bastards, as least thats how it works here, i'm sure it varies.....

Alice
04-03-2005, 08:51 AM
when we got our cable hooked up, someone from the cable company had to come out and switch something on/off (don't remember which) on the telephone/cable pole...the first guy they sent apparently didn't do that, so when i tried to hook up my cable modem, nothing happened :thumbsdowanother guy had to come back out and all he did was literally flip a switch. he was nice enough to stay and make sure that i could get everything working properly....

another note - don't rent your modem, just buy the damn thing! you can get a decent one for like 50 bucks so it's going to pay for itself after a few months anyways. same goes with routers. places like circuit city, best buy and comp usa are always having rebates on cerain brands....

most modems come with a cat5 cable (what you use to hook your modem up to your pc) and the cable company provided me with the cable cord so i could go from my splitter to my modem (it's just like what hooks into your tv)

Shannon
04-04-2005, 07:39 PM
Just thought of this one...I don't get cable TV...I have satellite...It'll still work, right...? :D

Brandon
04-04-2005, 07:50 PM
Just thought of this one...I don't get cable TV...I have satellite...It'll still work, right...? :D

as far as I know, you don't have to have cable tv to get a cable modem, they are completely sep., i think usually they just go hand in hand...

Alice
04-04-2005, 07:59 PM

your satellite provider might offer some sort of highspeed service...i know places like aol do (although aol sucks...) but whatever you end up with, just say no to dsl

Brandon
04-04-2005, 08:02 PM
your satellite provider might offer some sort of highspeed service...i know places like aol do (although aol sucks...) but whatever you end up with, just say no to dsl

haha. i agree. stay faaaaar faaaaaaaaaaaar away from aol.

Alice
04-04-2005, 08:07 PM

the only thing aol was good for was about 7 free months of service...every time i called to cancel, the person i talked to ended up giving me free months so i could "think about it" and not cancel my service...but yeah, i said it before and i'll say it again, aol sucks :thumbsdow

Brandon
04-04-2005, 08:13 PM
the only thing aol was good for was about 7 free months of service...every time i called to cancel, the person i talked to ended up giving me free months so i could "think about it" and not cancel my service...but yeah, i said it before and i'll say it again, aol sucks :thumbsdow

yeah, the problem is that the program is always trying to make your computer but all that happens is shit goes down hill

Rob
04-04-2005, 08:43 PM
Interestingly, Comcast offers you a cheaper cable internet service in the portland area if you accept a "basic" cable package from them. The idea is that even though they discount your service, you'll enjoy their cable enough to buy a premium channel or two.

My guess is, if they offer something similar in PA you can accept the basic cable and just not use it.

I would stay away from a satellite internet option. My uncle uses one because it is his only option out in the boons. Download speeds can be tremendous, but they are burst transfers. Uploads can crawl, and any internet activity that requires frequent seperate transfers, (i.e. surfing the web,) suffer from serious lag.

r

Shannon
04-05-2005, 04:35 PM

Yeah...I just had a nice runaround with AOL (aka PIA) about why I'm not getting 56k...They had some excuse.

The only cable TV provider for where I live is Blue Ridge. Middle of no where, we don't have big names. They probably have some cable internet thing, though. And if not, I'm pretty sure the others in the area will still come here. Money's money, right.:lol:

JR E K
04-05-2005, 06:58 PM
are you sure you get cable if its in the middle of nowhere because i think i remember my sisters friends family not being able to get it for a while because nobody else there had cable

other note: does anyone else see my post count as being 38?:lol:

Alice
04-05-2005, 07:12 PM
other note: does anyone else see my post count as being 38?:lol:

any posts you had in the games don't count towards your total # of posts - check this (http://www.weeklydavespeak.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1294)out

JR E K
04-06-2005, 05:20 PM
any posts you had in the games don't count towards your total # of posts - check this (http://www.weeklydavespeak.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1294)out

ooooohhhh.... i didnt notice that, i to a little while away from here and missed some important stuff such as shannon becoming part of the staff (congrats there!) and apparently this
thanks

Shannon
04-08-2005, 07:27 PM
I'm pretty positive it's available out here. Granted, there are some things that have taken a little while to get here, but they're here now.