View Full Version : Ten Major Companies Call for Climate Action

wired
01-22-2007, 11:11 AM
i thought this was very interesting.

http://www.environmentaldefense.org/article.cfm?ContentID=5828

Ten Major Companies Call for Climate Action
Industry leaders support hard limits on global warming pollution

Posted on: 01/22/2007

Environmental Defense is a founding member of a group of high-level corporate and environmental leaders that will make a groundbreaking announcement today in Washington, D.C. The group will call for a cap-and-trade system to combat climate change. Their historic proposal, "A Call to Action," urges the federal government to set limits for reducing greenhouse gas emissions, to create market-based incentives and, most of all, to act swiftly and thoughtfully.

With no fewer than eight pieces of legislation at play in Congress, the group's call serves as a powerful catalyst for action.
Who the companies are

The companies involved in today's announcement are well-known corporations from the energy, manufacturing and financial services sectors: Alcoa, BP America, Caterpillar, Duke Energy, DuPont, Florida Power & Light, General Electric, Lehman Brothers, Pacific Gas & Electric, and PNM Resources.

They have joined Environmental Defense, the Pew Center on Global Climate Change, Natural Resources Defense Council and the World Resources Institute to form an unprecedented alliance — the United States Climate Action Partnership (US-CAP).

The partners pledged to work together to support six recommendations for national action:
Account for the global dimensions of climate change – the U.S. government should become more involved in international arrangements for addressing global warming;
Recognize the importance of technology – the cost-effective deployment of existing energy efficient technologies should be a priority;
Be environmentally effective – mandatory requirements and incentives must be stringent enough to achieve necessary emissions reductions;
Create economic opportunity and advantage – a climate protection program must use the power of the market to establish clear targets and timeframes;
Be fair – global warming solutions must account for the disproportionate impact of both global warming and emissions reductions on some economic sectors, geographic regions, and income groups; and
Encourage early action – prior to the effective date of mandatory pollution limits, every reasonable effort should be made to reduce emissions.

onesuiteworld
01-22-2007, 05:44 PM
It doesn't suprise me one bit that of the major oil importers (the ones from whom we pump our gas) that only one major company has joined in. I applaud BP.

We need more of this, especially in government.

wired
01-22-2007, 07:04 PM
It doesn't suprise me one bit that of the major oil importers (the ones from whom we pump our gas) that only one major company has joined in. I applaud BP.

well, from what i understand, bp is investing heavily in r&d for alternative energy sources (which is what all oil companies should be doing if they hope to be viable in 30 years).

i was happy to see them on the list. hopefully others will experience public pressure to follow suit.

theponderousman
01-22-2007, 08:12 PM

We need more of this, especially in government.

BP America, not the entire BP company, (I believe BP is a British company?)...which can really be a good move on BP's side to make it appear that they care.

Interestingly enough, back in the 60s and 70s, energy corporations, including oil companies, did have a lot invested in researching alternative methods, but once things calmed down, they went back to the old ways.

It'll be interesting to see what happens with the interest in nuclear research and development again...

Christian