PDA

View Full Version : Daylight Savings Time Changed

wired
01-11-2007, 10:17 PM
so, i just got this from my merchant account processor:

Early in 2006, the Congress of the United States of America passed an energy bill that included extending Daylight Savings Time (DST) by about a month, effective from 2007. Prior to the new DST regulation, DST began at 2:00 AM on the first Sunday in April and ended at 2:00 AM on the last Sunday in October.

Beginning 2007, DST begins at 2:00 AM on the second Sunday in March and ends at 2:00 AM on the first Sunday in November.

i hadn't heard anything about this and thought it very interesting. i figured i'd pass it on for those of you who hadn't heard about this either. :)

tiglet26
01-12-2007, 04:46 AM
I realized this when I was marking my Amsterdam trip on the calendar....I never knew there was a set time that it changed, but I though March was a little early!

bryanmoody
01-12-2007, 07:16 AM
My wife's uncle runs a dairy farm and on our last visit I asked him how farmers benefited from the time change. He had no idea what I was talking about and said it made no difference because the cows had to be milked when they had to be milked. I'm sure there is an energy benefit theory behind the whole concept but would it make a difference if we just got rid of the whole time change process?

bryanmoody
01-12-2007, 07:17 AM
Wouldn't everybody just prefer that it didn't get dark at 5:00 p.m.?

wired
01-12-2007, 07:55 AM
Wouldn't everybody just prefer that it didn't get dark at 5:00 p.m.?

well, if we got rid of daylight savings, it would be darker an hour earlier in the summer, too. dark at 5 p.m. is the "real" time, not the savings time. if we were to stay in daylight savings through the winter, we'd get dark at 6 rather than 5. i for one look forward to daylight savings because i really do like longer hours of daylight (in fact, i wouldn't care at all if it stayed dark until 10 a.m.). i can definitely see how it can impact energy usage, especially in this nation of habitual light-leavers-on.

Dave I
01-12-2007, 09:00 AM
Weird, wild stuff... I like the idea of more daylight though. And if it conserves energy, cool.

nicole22
01-12-2007, 09:39 AM
I had no idea about this. Thanks for posting. I am definitly looking forward to leaving work when it is light out :lol: . Now if only it would stay warm until November too..

DMBFANINDY
01-15-2007, 06:41 AM
Nothing better than a sunset at 10:00pm in the summer!!!!

theponderousman
01-15-2007, 09:48 AM
My wife's uncle runs a dairy farm and on our last visit I asked him how farmers benefited from the time change. He had no idea what I was talking about and said it made no difference because the cows had to be milked when they had to be milked. I'm sure there is an energy benefit theory behind the whole concept but would it make a difference if we just got rid of the whole time change process?

Dairy farm and 'harvest' farming are two different components of agriculture though...DST is most benefitted by the farmers that hav to tend to crops and do things outside.

I can't remember...but do other countries utilize DST too?

wired
01-15-2007, 10:08 AM
Dairy farm and 'harvest' farming are two different components of agriculture though...DST is most benefitted by the farmers that hav to tend to crops and do things outside.

I can't remember...but do other countries utilize DST too?

here is a very interesting website (http://webexhibits.org/daylightsaving/) about daylight saving time around the world and its history. i remember when i lived in venezuela that they did not observe it.