PDA

View Full Version : Saddam's Death Near?

theponderousman
12-28-2006, 11:17 PM
So I have to say that this is a bit of a shocker to me, but an interesting one! It is rumored that the former Iraqi leader may be hung by Sunday, possibly even later today! Not too sure how I feel about it knowing that it was a hung jury (pun somewhat intended)...anybody that can show me evidence that it WASN'T already a known verdict and penalty, please step up....

Granted, I'm not defending him AT ALL and will be relieved to see meet his maker for the death and turture of hundreds of thousands of his OWN PEOPLE...HOWEVER....it was all done conveniently and with amazing speed....not a good way to get support from other nations...even though they were just sitting back watching Iraqi people suffer. Hmmmm, I've gotta think about this some more :)

David R
12-28-2006, 11:46 PM
was reading about sadam in the USA today and he was telling the remaining iraqi insurgents to continue fighting because it is basically not worth giving up. i'm sick of hearing about him and am ready to see him executed

DMBFANINDY
12-29-2006, 06:35 AM
Granted, I'm not defending him AT ALL and will be relieved to see meet his maker for the death and turture of hundreds of thousands of his OWN PEOPLE...HOWEVER....it was all done conveniently and with amazing speed....not a good way to get support from other nations...even though they were just sitting back watching Iraqi people suffer. Hmmmm, I've gotta think about this some more :)

He was tried by his own people in his own nation, so we can't question their laws or judicial system. I will say that the trial did take 9 months to complete, which is pretty on par with the American judicial system and it was reviewed by Iraqi higher courts, similar to our Supreme Court, and they upheld the sentence so I say, let them do with him what they want. A lot of nations do not approve of our Capitol Punishment practices but we carry them out anyways.

I say this chapter needs to be closed so we can move on to getting Iraq behind us, If that is possible!!! Good Thread!

Dave I
12-29-2006, 07:08 AM
Hang him ASAP on Pay-Per-View at 29.95, put all the money towards the national debt. People will pay...

theponderousman
12-29-2006, 08:27 AM
Hang him ASAP on Pay-Per-View at 29.95, put all the money towards the national debt. People will pay...

Heh Heh, kind of like the execution on the movie Starship Troopers huh? "Would you like to know more?"

And again, don't get me wrong here, I want the chapter to be over too, but there's a lot of convenience to all of this, and unfortunately, no matter WHAT happens, the U.S. is going to look bad (which I place directly on Bush and Rumsfeld for their 'handling' of everything).

My primary hope here is that with Saddam gone, yes, the fighting will flare, but I'm hoping that it takes some wind out of the terrorists and possibly other nations will in fact decide to step up to the plate. Ahhh, in a magical world I know :)

DMBFANINDY
12-29-2006, 10:52 AM
They are now saying that He will be executed by Tomorrow (Sat). Here we go. Wonder what will happen after that??? Pray for the best!!

David R
12-29-2006, 03:47 PM
They are now saying that He will be executed by Tomorrow (Sat). Here we go. Wonder what will happen after that??? Pray for the best!!

:thumbsup: i'm with you on that

tiglet26
12-29-2006, 05:47 PM
I'm really worried about this....my brother-in-law is in Baghdad right now.....

onesuiteworld
12-29-2006, 06:01 PM
According to the Associated Press, it is going to happen tonight.

My primary hope here is that with Saddam gone, yes, the fighting will flare, but I'm hoping that it takes some wind out of the terrorists and possibly other nations will in fact decide to step up to the plate. Ahhh, in a magical world I know :)
There is no doubt in my mind that violence will flare. But it didn't have to.

This could have been a great thing. This could have brought Iraq together. It could have set down precedent for Iraqi law, being that it had such a bleak judicial history. It could have undone some of the havoc he reached. It could have even helped bridge ethnic and religious tensions.

Unfortunately, this trial, both flawed and politically divisive, was another failure by a weak Iraqi government. The American invasion did not produce a democratic Iraq, and neither will Mr. Hussein's execution.

onesuiteworld
12-29-2006, 09:36 PM
He's dead. (http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/meast/12/29/hussein/index.html)

dmbball10
12-29-2006, 10:05 PM
just heard about this, glad it happened

DMBFANINDY
12-29-2006, 10:26 PM
God bless all those who this man tortured and murdered during his dictatorship. Today justice was served, no matter if it was politically pushed for or not. This was the right thing to do!

David R
12-29-2006, 11:35 PM
i'm very glad that this is over

kbk31
12-30-2006, 08:36 AM
Yes, he's an evil man, but I don't agree with killing people as a means to an end. Quit playing God. He was gonna get what was coming eventually. That's just me.

Alice
12-30-2006, 11:06 AM
cnn has footage up of the noose being placed around his neck as well as images of his body afterwards. the video comes with a warning of the graphic images that follow...

tiglet26
12-30-2006, 02:10 PM
They let the American journalists film the entire thing, so I'm sure it won't be long before the whole hanging is sweeping the internet...

onesuiteworld
12-30-2006, 07:22 PM
They let the American journalists film the entire thing, so I'm sure it won't be long before the whole hanging is sweeping the internet...I'm not sure if it was American Journalists. Saddam Hussein himself, when he came to power, instituted video recordings of hangings as procedure.

theponderousman
12-30-2006, 08:33 PM
They let the American journalists film the entire thing, so I'm sure it won't be long before the whole hanging is sweeping the internet...

Break.com has a shot of the entire thing from down the stairs and they show him later with his neck broken. YouTube doesn't have it, and I have a FEELING they won't allow it, but Break.com doesn't play by everyone's rules now do they?

Not a big fan of it being out there on the internet, but unfortunately, that's now the way of the world....

onesuiteworld
12-30-2006, 08:55 PM
Break.com has a shot of the entire thing from down the stairs and they show him later with his neck broken. YouTube doesn't have it, and I have a FEELING they won't allow it, but Break.com doesn't play by everyone's rules now do they?

Not a big fan of it being out there on the internet, but unfortunately, that's now the way of the world....About time we agree, eh?

crashintomeagain
12-31-2006, 03:14 PM
i'm glad he's dead, though i wish he hadn't gotten off so easy. it bothers me that it's already on youtube. i couldn't watch it in a million years. hangings honestly scare the shit out of me. i couldn't ever watch it in a million years.

onesuiteworld
01-02-2007, 05:59 PM
Due to widespread allogations of misconduct, including Mr. Hussein being taunted on the gallows, a formal investigation has opened into th execution.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/02/world/middleeast/02cnd-iraq.html?hp&ex=1167800400&en=c7d6181f15a9dae3&ei=5094&partner=homepage

Officials said the government wanted to know how some of those present at the hanging had been allowed to use cellphone cameras to record grainy images of Mr. Hussein as he endured the mockery from a group standing in front of the gallows. But the investigation would also ask why the hanging had been allowed to descend into scenes that some Sunni critics have described as a sectarian lynching, the officials said.