PDA

View Full Version : Yet Another Intro!!

AlwaysMe
03-19-2005, 08:16 PM
Well hello everyone! I am doing the intro thing..glad I stumbled across this forum. I have browsed around and found it much easier to get through than some of the other larger forums. Thanks for all the great music!! I have been a DMB fan since way back - an old bf of mine went to college in SC and saw him a ton of times at local shows and sent me tapes - unfortunately I spent 5 years in Alaska and didn't get to see ANY shows until I moved back to the mainland in 2001. I have been trying to make up for lost time since then and hit as many shows as possible each summer. I am an atypical fan being older (33) and a married mom with 2 kids - so I can't quite take the summer off for a road trip, but one of these days..lottery officials willing...I'll do it!! Looking forward to getting to know you all :)

Shannon
03-19-2005, 08:24 PM
Welcome to this lovely place, Jery! Glad to have you back to places with shows!!

Dave L
03-20-2005, 06:41 AM
Hi Jery and welcome to WeeklyDavespeak. Thanks for taking the time to stop in and introduce yourself. I had a friend who worked at a salmon hatchery in Alaska some years back, he loved it and was thinking about taking a break form his current profession to go back. Anyway, please enjoy the site, and I have entered you into the monthly contest for newbs.:thumbsup:

DMBzbigfan
03-21-2005, 05:08 AM
Well hello everyone! I am doing the intro thing..glad I stumbled across this forum. I have browsed around and found it much easier to get through than some of the other larger forums. Thanks for all the great music!! I have been a DMB fan since way back - an old bf of mine went to college in SC and saw him a ton of times at local shows and sent me tapes - unfortunately I spent 5 years in Alaska and didn't get to see ANY shows until I moved back to the mainland in 2001. I have been trying to make up for lost time since then and hit as many shows as possible each summer. I am an atypical fan being older (33) and a married mom with 2 kids - so I can't quite take the summer off for a road trip, but one of these days..lottery officials willing...I'll do it!! Looking forward to getting to know you all :)

Hey! You are not atypical as defined by your age and motherhood! I am soon to be 35 and been a fan since '95. My 41 year old bro-in-law has been a fan even longer (a dad of 2... My niece and nephew call Dave "Uncle Dave" -- Don't I wish!!!!). We have lots of 30+ friends w/ kids who are big fans, too.

Anyway-- welcome! And, heh-- I suppose this is my own introduction/greeting too!
Cheers

mtlabor
03-21-2005, 06:14 AM
Welcome Jery! I'm fiarly new myself, and I must say, this site is definitely one of the best. Great people. Great music. Great vibe. You name it, it's great. Have fun and stay a little while! :)

Shannon
03-25-2005, 05:01 PM
Hey, Jery...Just curious. A teacher of mine said they don't plow the roads in Alaska. Just curious if this is true or not. I would assume so, though.

AlwaysMe
03-30-2005, 06:06 PM
*LOL* Well it depends on where you live. I lived in Eagle River which is sort of a suburb of Anchorage..although I use the term loosely. Anyhow, the official word in the municipality of Anchorage (which is like a county..they don't have counties up there, munis and boroughs instead) is that main roads are plowed within 24-48 hours of a storm, side roads 48-72. There are some roads you literally have to own a 4WD to live on because they're not city maintained. In my subdivision even, once I had to wake my husband up and have him drive our truck back and forth from our house to the main street because my car (Dodge Neon) was so low to the ground and it had snowed about 14 inches over night, I couldn't get to the street! But yeah...if you call in to work when you live in Alaska and say it's because of the snow or driving conditions..you are either gonna get fired or they are going to laugh their asses off at you :)

Thanks for all the welcomes guys!!

Shannon
04-01-2005, 08:22 PM
*LOL* Well it depends on where you live. I lived in Eagle River which is sort of a suburb of Anchorage..although I use the term loosely. Anyhow, the official word in the municipality of Anchorage (which is like a county..they don't have counties up there, munis and boroughs instead) is that main roads are plowed within 24-48 hours of a storm, side roads 48-72. There are some roads you literally have to own a 4WD to live on because they're not city maintained. In my subdivision even, once I had to wake my husband up and have him drive our truck back and forth from our house to the main street because my car (Dodge Neon) was so low to the ground and it had snowed about 14 inches over night, I couldn't get to the street! But yeah...if you call in to work when you live in Alaska and say it's because of the snow or driving conditions..you are either gonna get fired or they are going to laugh their asses off at you :)

Thanks for all the welcomes guys!!

Sounds interesting. Don't know if I could live there!

AlwaysMe
04-03-2005, 11:33 AM
It's a unique place - you generally either love it or hate it, there's not a lot of in between. There are some things I miss about it but here is home for me - there's no place I'd rather be!