PDA

View Full Version : Donald Rumsfeld Resigns

John
11-08-2006, 12:30 PM
Not to add another thread about politics, but this is just too big to let slide. Robert Gates, who is currently the president of Texas A&M and used to be chief of the CIA, is nominated to take over.

bryanmoody
11-08-2006, 01:11 PM
I caught most of the press conference on CNN and NPR earlier this afternoon. The President's tone has already seemed to change in some respects. This has been possibly one of the biggest days in news since Katrina, not to reduce the significance of ongoing Iraq coverage and other very important 24-hours periods in the last 14 months, which I have not listed here. The next couple months should be very interesting, if not exciting, in politics although there is a very good chance we will only see much of the same. As for the resignation of the Secretary of Defense, I personally have been under the impression people on both sides of the isle have lost confidence in his vision and strategy for Iraq. I know the President down-played the role of the election in this decision but most people probably suspect this was much more than a coincidental decision and announcement.

cornflake girl
11-08-2006, 03:18 PM
So much exciting stuff has happened since the dems took control.. I am afraid it is just a dream and I am going to wake up.

onesuiteworld
11-08-2006, 04:33 PM
I don't get it. This would have been a great political move for bush to make before the election. The democrats spent alot of time attacking Rumpsfeld, and they let him go now. Bad planning.

BUT AWESOME NEWS!

onesweetwurld41
11-08-2006, 04:44 PM
IMO the best thing that has ever happened within the Bush administration...

onesuiteworld
11-08-2006, 04:52 PM
IMO the best thing that has ever happened within the Bush administration...That's because the other best thing that happened was when Dick Cheney ate a puppy.

StandUp
11-08-2006, 05:00 PM
IMO the best thing that has ever happened within the Bush administration...

no it isn't... they hired an aggie:feelbette

Dave I
11-08-2006, 09:23 PM
I'm really excited about all the outcomes of the elections... Rumsfeld resigning really might have helped the republicans... but I voted for change... I'm tired of the way stuff was going down, and now, we'll see what happens!

cornflake girl
11-08-2006, 09:29 PM
I'm really excited about all the outcomes of the elections... Rumsfeld resigning really might have helped the republicans... but I voted for change... I'm tired of the way stuff was going down, and now, we'll see what happens!

Indeed. The next few months promise to be interesting, if nothing else.

knuckleball1212
11-08-2006, 09:51 PM
Rumsfeld out = proof that there exists greater than or equal to one god ... I am extremely satisfied with this so far, I am proud of bush standing up to cheney (even though i hate them both)...also, does anyone know what Rove's role was in this shakeup?

StandUp
11-09-2006, 11:20 AM
Although I’m Republican with a bit of Libertarian and think George Bush is a good president, except for Iraq, I have never liked Donald Rumsfeld. I also believe Republicans losing control in both the Senate and House could lead us to more friendly relations between the two parties. I believe a Republican President & Democratic Congress will be good for America. First, they will have to cooperate to get anything done and second the Bush Administration, and all republicans for that matter, will see some really good ideas they have failed to see before.

theponderousman
11-09-2006, 10:21 PM
I don't get it. This would have been a great political move for bush to make before the election. The democrats spent alot of time attacking Rumpsfeld, and they let him go now. Bad planning.

BUT AWESOME NEWS!

I think it was the administration's belief that they were untouchable and either they were being fed misleading information (Rove's doing), or they had a God complex (purely speculation of course). Either way, yeah, a LOT too late if you ask me. Rumsfeld should have been gone a long time ago, and it'll be interesting to hear extra stories as to why it was after the election that Bush said 'move on'.

Although I have to say, in his defense, I loved how he dealt with the press....seriously, he was cool when he was in your face and said what he wanted. I respect him for that! :thumbsup:

onesuiteworld
11-10-2006, 05:35 PM
Although I have to say, in his defense, I loved how he dealt with the press....seriously, he was cool when he was in your face and said what he wanted. I respect him for that! :thumbsup:

Eh, I can't even give him that. He outright lied at times, and would never admit to obvious wrongdoing. Somewhere along the line, someone told George Bush that admitting a mistake showed utter weakness, and he dictated that to his staff.

theponderousman
11-10-2006, 11:15 PM
Eh, I can't even give him that. He outright lied at times, and would never admit to obvious wrongdoing. Somewhere along the line, someone told George Bush that admitting a mistake showed utter weakness, and he dictated that to his staff.

Come on though...when hasn't a politician lied? Again, as long as we realize that it's this stupid power struggle game, we'll be less inclined to blindly be lead (as so many people are these days). Am I to believe that Sandy Berger really DIDN'T intentionally take top secret documents and stuff them into his pants? Politicians lie, unfortunately there aren't that many out there that care about what the American people really want...and those that DO...well, they either fall by the wayside, or feel that the only way to win something is to play the same game...

Oh well, at least my job's secure for the next 8 years :)

Christian