PDA

View Full Version : The Midterm Election Thread

onesuiteworld
11-04-2006, 10:09 AM
The day is almost here. This Tuesday, Nov. 7th, Americans will go to the polls and decide whether they are happy with the way things are, or if they want change. I for one am looking forward to this election cautiously optimistic.

It's pretty heated. As of now, electoral-vote.com (http://electoral-vote.com/)has the democrats with 51 senate seats. But honestly, it could go either way.

Kim
11-04-2006, 11:17 AM
Here is a link to an article from TheHook.net's blog archive you might be interested in. It discusses Larry Sabato's predictions for the midterm election. I agree w/ you Matt, I am cautiously optimistic. We have some close races here in MN which I feel can go either way. And, after Jesse was elected governor (after ranking consistently third in the polls), I put no trust in the polls!

http://www.thehook.net/2006/11/02/sabato-predicts-webb-win-democratic-congress/

Paige
11-04-2006, 03:28 PM
I will be happy when these are over...I'm getting sick of all the radio and TV commercials where politicians bash eachother

Kim
11-04-2006, 06:22 PM
I will be happy when these are over...I'm getting sick of all the radio and TV commercials where politicians bash eachother

Can you imagine all the good that could be done w/ all the money spent on tv/radio ads? What a waste.

Joe
11-04-2006, 07:29 PM
Can you imagine all the good that could be done w/ all the money spent on tv/radio ads? What a waste.

Well said.

Paige
11-04-2006, 09:18 PM

Kim for President :biggrin:

onesuiteworld
11-05-2006, 08:59 AM
Can you imagine all the good that could be done w/ all the money spent on tv/radio ads? What a waste.Eh, that's not what bugs me. Honestly, the money that goes into producing and running political ads comes from campaign contributions where the people giving money are doing so to promote their politician. If taxpayer money went into it, then I'd be mad.

Kim
11-05-2006, 02:11 PM
Eh, that's not what bugs me. Honestly, the money that goes into producing and running political ads comes from campaign contributions where the people giving money are doing so to promote their politician. If taxpayer money went into it, then I'd be mad.

I realize it comes from campaign contributions, but my point is - it's millions and millions of dollars....spent on ads. Not spent on actual problems (and yes, I realize the message is that these candidates are going to solve these problems). Sadly, this barrage of ads will come to an end only when the money stops coming in.

So, do you guys think that many people are actually influenced by these ads?

onesuiteworld
11-05-2006, 02:23 PM
I realize it comes from campaign contributions, but my point is - it's millions and millions of dollars....spent on ads. Not spent on actual problems (and yes, I realize the message is that these candidates are going to solve these problems). Sadly, this barrage of ads will come to an end only when the money stops coming in.
Well, alot of moeny is wasted in all aspects of society. Drug companies spend millions on ads rather than research. I have a hard time getting upset over political ads. Politics itself angers me.

So, do you guys think that many people are actually influenced by these ads?
[EDIT** A lot of] The American people are lemmings with short attention spans, and many of them will vote on the basis of the last persuasive commercial they saw.

onesuiteworld
11-05-2006, 02:24 PM
oh, and one other thing. Harold Ford will probably lose his election because for the last 2 weeks, he has been having to answer to this ad. (http://youtube.com/watch?v=kkiz1_d1GsA&mode=related&search=)

Kim
11-05-2006, 02:30 PM
[EDIT** A Majority of] The American people are lemmings with short attention spans, and many of them will vote on the basis of the last persuasive commercial they saw.
Scary!

And I hear you re: the amount of money wasted on ads in our society beyond just politics. I will just be glad when it is Nov 8th and we'll have a reprieve (that is, until the 2008 fiasco kicks in).

onesuiteworld
11-05-2006, 02:37 PM
Scary!

And I hear you re: the amount of money wasted on ads in our society beyond just politics. I will just be glad when it is Nov 8th and we'll have a reprieve (that is, until the 2008 fiasco kicks in).

No, the word fiasco (http://www.amazon.com/Fiasco-American-Military-Adventure-Iraq/dp/159420103X/sr=8-1/qid=1162762592/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/103-8058599-0724652?ie=UTF8&s=books)is taken.:biggrin:

It is going to be a media blitz. But 2008 can't come soon enough, IMHO.

Kim
11-05-2006, 03:00 PM
No, the word fiasco (http://www.amazon.com/Fiasco-American-Military-Adventure-Iraq/dp/159420103X/sr=8-1/qid=1162762592/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/103-8058599-0724652?ie=UTF8&s=books)is taken.:biggrin:
Good one - and so very true.

It is going to be a media blitz. But 2008 can't come soon enough, IMHO.
I agree w/ you there - I can't believe we still have 2 more years left of this. I just hope the tide is turning (and that even the lemmings catch on).

onesuiteworld
11-05-2006, 03:32 PM
I agree w/ you there - I can't believe we still have 2 more years left of this.

January 20, 2009

Paige
11-05-2006, 04:01 PM
Politics itself angers me.

I agree.

I think that a lot of people are swayed by ads because they don't know enough (or don't care enough to research) about candidates and thier issues.

onesuiteworld
11-05-2006, 04:01 PM
I agree.

I think that a lot of people are swayed by ads because they don't know enough (or don't care enough to research) about candidates and thier issues.

I think you should need a liscense to vote.

Paige
11-05-2006, 04:10 PM
I think you should need a liscense to vote.

It would be nice for everyone to have a basic knowledge of American History and/or current events but I feel like most Americans' attitudes towards politics are indifferent (even unfavorable, which I can see based on all of the "political tension" in the world).

I've been reading a lot of articles about how young voters could potentially sway the election. I'm not sure if this (http://www.philly.com/mld/philly/news/politics/15906093.htm) was what I was thinking of. I guess the same could be said for any particular group of people, but I think its important for young people to understand politics, so articles like that, I like to see.

onesuiteworld
11-05-2006, 04:13 PM
It would be nice for everyone to have a basic knowledge of American History and/or current events but I feel like most Americans' attitudes towards politics are indifferent (even unfavorable, which I can see based on all of the "political tension" in the world).

I've been reading a lot of articles about how young voters could potentially sway the election. I'm not sure if this (http://www.philly.com/mld/philly/news/politics/15906093.htm) was what I was thinking of. I guess the same could be said for any particular group of people, but I think its important for young people to understand politics, so articles like that, I like to see.

Its nice how peoplw have faith in my generation, because I sure don't. And if you saw the kids in my school, you wouldn't either. Not only are they completly unknowledgable, they dont care at all. So all these politicans hoping for 18-20 yr olds to vote, don't count on it.

Paige
11-05-2006, 04:44 PM
Its nice how peoplw have faith in my generation, because I sure don't. And if you saw the kids in my school, you wouldn't either. Not only are they completly unknowledgable, they dont care at all. So all these politicans hoping for 18-20 yr olds to vote, don't count on it.

I never said I had faith in our generation. I just hate stereotyping our generation, because I know that there are people who do care (even if they are greatly outnumbered by the people who don't). You don't very often see kids excited about going to government class--- which is also a reason I think kids could care less about politics. Being a politician isn't necessarily a glamourous career. I think that kids see it as a bore. Not only does that deter them from a potential job in politics but heads are also turned from current events that they feel are unnecessary to asess and take part in changing. Will that attitude enventually change? I think it depends on who that person becomes. What I worry about most for our generation is the people who don't vote at all, though, are you benefiting more from a person who votes and is uneducated about their decision, or a person who doesn't vote at all?

onesuiteworld
11-05-2006, 04:55 PM
I never said I had faith in our generation. I just hate stereotyping our generation, because I know that there are people who do care (even if they are greatly outnumbered by the people who don't). You don't very often see kids excited about going to government class--- which is also a reason I think kids could care less about politics. Being a politician isn't necessarily a glamourous career. I think that kids see it as a bore. Not only does that deter them from a potential job in politics but heads are also turned from current events that they feel are unnecessary to asess and take part in changing. Will that attitude enventually change? I think it depends on who that person becomes. What I worry about most for our generation is the people who don't vote at all, though, are you benefiting more from a person who votes and is uneducated about their decision, or a person who doesn't vote at all?

Idealy, every person should be educated about the issues, and vote accordingly. At the very least, adults who are uneducated about the issues can vote in their own economic best interest. Our generation, for now, sees itself as invincible, and they don't realize how much is at stake. I don't know if they ever will because, for the first time, our culture is beginning to epitomize stupidity and lethargy.

theponderousman
11-05-2006, 10:45 PM
oh, and one other thing. Harold Ford will probably lose his election because for the last 2 weeks, he has been having to answer to this ad. (http://youtube.com/watch?v=kkiz1_d1GsA&mode=related&search=)

Pathetic ads like these just makes me wish there were more strongly backed Independants running.

Over 80% of all ads this year were negative, and over 2,000,000,000.....YES, TWO BILLION dollars have been spent in this election, yet politicians, ON BOTH SIDES, have a problem showing proper respects to teachers and others that work their asses off FAR MORE than those in congress.....

What a fun world we live in

bryanmoody
11-08-2006, 05:47 AM
Pathetic ads like these just makes me wish there were more strongly backed Independants running.

Over 80% of all ads this year were negative, and over 2,000,000,000.....YES, TWO BILLION dollars have been spent in this election, yet politicians, ON BOTH SIDES, have a problem showing proper respects to teachers and others that work their asses off FAR MORE than those in congress.....

What a fun world we live in

Rock on with the teacher support (and the average working-class citizen). Sure the bell only rings for 6 to 8 hours per day but nobody considers the work you take home, training over the breaks, conferences with disgruntled or uninvolved parents at all hours and yes, the peanuts teachers work for. Here in MD forget about buying a home right away on teacher pay (old townhouse $300k+). Meanwhile Congress gives themselves a raise every session and show up for work less than a third of the year. Frustrating!

Anyway, no matter how VA and MT get decided in the Senate I hope the House start reaching across the isle to each other and really worry about their constituents and not themselves. There was still more than a 90% incumbency rate!

Cheers to no more commercials for a while, the temporary decline in pundit opinions and higher voter turnout. USA!

bryanmoody
11-08-2006, 05:48 AM
I should probably allow the coffee to leave my system before contributing.

wired
11-08-2006, 09:07 AM
i only have one word.

hallelujah.

Kim
11-08-2006, 09:13 AM
US House results - YAY!!

US Senate results - cautious/hopeful YAY!!

US Senator (MN) Amy Klobuchar - YAY!!!
US Representative (MN Dist 6) Michelle Bachmann - http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/sign/sign0094.gif

onesuiteworld
11-08-2006, 04:34 PM
Democrats have the house.

Democrats have a 50-49 lead in the senate.

Donald Rumpsfeld resigns.

My fingers never thought that they would get to type that.

John
11-08-2006, 08:58 PM
It's official now. Jim Webb has won the election in Virginia, giving Democrats control of the Senate, 51-49.

knuckleball1212
11-08-2006, 09:56 PM
thats good news...but idunno if "control" is the word...still need a 2/3 vote for a lot of stuff

John
11-09-2006, 06:49 AM
thats good news...but idunno if "control" is the word...still need a 2/3 vote for a lot of stuff

Yes. It's not the right word. They just have the majority now.

dr. nan
11-09-2006, 09:05 AM
Finally, that only took 12 years!

theponderousman
11-09-2006, 10:15 PM
I'm actually excited for the change and for there NOT to be a rubber stamping congress. My only concern, and we ALLLLLL know it's going to happen, is that for the next two years, there will be investigation after invetsigation after investigation into wrong-doings in the white house and past congress. NOW...don't get me wrong, I think that there SHOULD be this oversight since there hasn't been ANY effort these past few years to do so. HOWEVER, get some of the shit done, or started, that those that got office SAID they'd do BEFORE you start huffing and puffing. (not talking to you the readers, but 'you' the Democrats that won and touted what you'd change).

Unfortunately, that's NOT going to happen because of the elections 2 years down the road and the game now will be to make the president and any of his staff (INSERT CONDOLIZA RICE FACE HERE), look bad so any chances of them running in 08 will be out the window. Just watch and learn from that game. What's a CROCK of BS is that neither party is probably going to do much these next few years for education or other important issues, because of what I wrote above. Grrrrrrrrr

And yes, I think that good ol George really screwed up his party chances this year...way to go man! Rumsfeld...you should have been history years ago. But I laugh at how invincible the right wingers thought that they were...so congrats to the Dems :)

Matt, pick your jaw off of the ground :lol:

Christian, ThePonderousMan

onesuiteworld
11-10-2006, 05:38 PM
I'm actually excited for the change and for there NOT to be a rubber stamping congress. My only concern, and we ALLLLLL know it's going to happen, is that for the next two years, there will be investigation after invetsigation after investigation into wrong-doings in the white house and past congress. NOW...don't get me wrong, I think that there SHOULD be this oversight since there hasn't been ANY effort these past few years to do so. HOWEVER, get some of the shit done, or started, that those that got office SAID they'd do BEFORE you start huffing and puffing. (not talking to you the readers, but 'you' the Democrats that won and touted what you'd change).

Unfortunately, that's NOT going to happen because of the elections 2 years down the road and the game now will be to make the president and any of his staff (INSERT CONDOLIZA RICE FACE HERE), look bad so any chances of them running in 08 will be out the window. Just watch and learn from that game. What's a CROCK of BS is that neither party is probably going to do much these next few years for education or other important issues, because of what I wrote above. Grrrrrrrrr

And yes, I think that good ol George really screwed up his party chances this year...way to go man! Rumsfeld...you should have been history years ago. But I laugh at how invincible the right wingers thought that they were...so congrats to the Dems :)

I agree with most of that, however, I think that in anticipation of the 08 election, the dems will try to get things done. Right now, I can almost guarantee that the minimum wage will be raised, and John Bolton will not be in the UN this time next year. and Condi will not run, or rather, will not have party support. Nobody who is close with this administration can be elected president.

Matt, pick your jaw off of the ground :lol:

bahahahhahaha

You've come around. Honestly, it suprises me more when people, in times like these, don't change their mind.

theponderousman
11-10-2006, 11:27 PM
I agree with most of that, however, I think that in anticipation of the 08 election, the dems will try to get things done. Right now, I can almost guarantee that the minimum wage will be raised, and John Bolton will not be in the UN this time next year. and Condi will not run, or rather, will not have party support. Nobody who is close with this administration can be elected president.

bahahahhahaha

You've come around. Honestly, it suprises me more when people, in times like these, don't change their mind.

Oh, don't go thinking I've changed my mind on other things we've argued about...I'm one of the few on here that has held the middle of the road beliefs and looked at all sides of things instead of following one strict party line idealogy :)

And yeah, raising the minimum wage will be nice for many, and Bolton won't be allowed to stay (I was never a big fan of him....OR his messed up wig)....the INTERESTING thing to be seen is if they stay true to their 'change is needed in Iraq' stance....THAT'S going to be either their golden spike in the preverbial coffin, or their mistake, depending on which way that they go, IF they go.

Either way, it'll be interesting! :dbud:

onesuiteworld
11-11-2006, 07:33 AM
Oh, don't go thinking I've changed my mind on other things we've argued about...I'm one of the few on here that has held the middle of the road beliefs and looked at all sides of things instead of following one strict party line idealogy :)

Ok, that's fair. Around these parts, most are very liberal, and I do respect you for your middle-of-the-road beliefs, despite the fact that I disagree:biggrin:

And yeah, raising the minimum wage will be nice for many, and Bolton won't be allowed to stay (I was never a big fan of him....OR his messed up wig)....the INTERESTING thing to be seen is if they stay true to their 'change is needed in Iraq' stance....THAT'S going to be either their golden spike in the preverbial coffin, or their mistake, depending on which way that they go, IF they go.

Either way, it'll be interesting! :dbud:

I was always shocked that a man who called the UN useless is now representing the US in that organization. He will be gone soon. In regards to Iraq, the democrats are going to begin forcing the president to take more steps towards a withdrawl. There really is no 'victory' option. Thomas L. Friedman, in a NYTimes editorial, said that there are two choices: Tolerable, or chaos. If we pull out soon, tolerable might be achieved. Unfortunatly, our continued presence is exacerbating the violence in the region. more than 75% of Iraqi's say that either support the insurgency or want the Americans out. The democrats have and will seize on this issue, and in the next few years, we will see some significant changes.

David R
11-12-2006, 01:10 PM
I was always shocked that a man who called the UN useless is now representing the US in that organization. He will be gone soon. In regards to Iraq, the democrats are going to begin forcing the president to take more steps towards a withdrawl. There really is no 'victory' option. Thomas L. Friedman, in a NYTimes editorial, said that there are two choices: Tolerable, or chaos. If we pull out soon, tolerable might be achieved. Unfortunatly, our continued presence is exacerbating the violence in the region. more than 75% of Iraqi's say that either support the insurgency or want the Americans out. The democrats have and will seize on this issue, and in the next few years, we will see some significant changes.

I couldn't agree more. It's going to be very intriguing to see the changes that will be made with the democrats in charge