PDA

View Full Version : Crocodile Hunter Dead at 44 (merged)

CrazyEazy
09-04-2006, 06:09 AM
Kind of a big shock to me.. i thoughthe was a great guy and was doing good for animals... the fact he held his baby by a croc doesnt bother me because he has grown up with them and was a nature boy from day 1.. besides that though sucks... and a big shock to me.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/SHOWBIZ/TV/09/04/australia.irwin/index.html

two step 41
09-04-2006, 06:14 AM
Kind of a big shock to me.. i thoughthe was a great guy and was doing good for animals... the fact he held his baby by a croc doesnt bother me because he has grown up with them and was a nature boy from day 1.. besides that though sucks... and a big shock to me.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/SHOWBIZ/TV/09/04/australia.irwin/index.html
Wow. That's definitely a shock. And only 44 years old. So young.

TheBestofWhatsAround
09-04-2006, 06:27 AM
Thats terrible, i used to think of him as invincible, shame

onesuiteworld
09-04-2006, 07:00 AM
I heard this and immediatly thought it was from an alligator (sorry, crocodile). But it was from a stingray?!?

Anyway, RIP

CrazyEazy
09-04-2006, 07:06 AM
I heard this and immediatly thought it was from an alligator (sorry, crocodile). But it was from a stingray?!?

Anyway, RIP

Its kinda ironic... i mean if you think about it.. he was stabbed in the heart doing the thing he loved.

fonzylover
09-04-2006, 07:13 AM
Yep, I heard about this last night as the story was breaking. Also read that his wife didn't know yet bc she was backpacking (at that time, she might know now tho). And I was going to dress up as him for Halloween this year too!

lemon11
09-04-2006, 07:22 AM
crazy sad. just horrible.

dmbstomp25
09-04-2006, 07:32 AM
wow that sucks. I used to love to watch that guy

David R
09-04-2006, 07:35 AM

Anyway, RIP

that's the same with me..such a sad story because he was doing so much for animals and had such a positive outlook for them

Dave L
09-04-2006, 07:44 AM
Truly a loss...to bad the Today Show could'nt get past the 04' interview about him holding his infant near a crocodile during a show. :pissed:

MousurferDMB
09-04-2006, 09:03 AM
R.I.P. Steve Irwin. A sting ray barb to the heart. What a guy. What a hero.

CRIKEY!

MikeyCarson
09-04-2006, 09:06 AM
I didn't know a sting ray could kill you wierd!
(He was 44 he leaves behind a wife, Terri, and two children)

he who rocks
09-04-2006, 09:20 AM
wow, shocked is i. i always figured itd be a snake, yet in the back of my mind thought itd never happen

MikeyCarson
09-04-2006, 09:23 AM
For reference:

"The stingray is common in all tropical, subtropical, warm, and temperate regions. It usually favors sheltered water and will burrow into sand with only eyes and tail exposed. It has a bat-like shape and a long tail. Approximately 1,800 stingray attacks are reported annually in the U.S. Most attacks occur when waders inadvertently step on a ray, causing it to lash out defensively with its tail. The spine is located near the vase of the tail. Wounds are either of the laceration or puncture type and are extremely painful. The wound appears swollen and pale with a blue rim. Secondary wound infections are common. Systemic symptoms may be present and can include fainting, nausea, vomiting, sweating, respiratory difficulty, and cardiovascular collapse.

In shallow waters which favor stingray habitation, shuffle feet on the bottom and probe with a stick to alert the rays and chase them away. Many fish may use venom as a form of defense. Most venomous fish deliver the toxins through the use of a spine. Venomous spines are found in a wide variety of fish including stingrays, chimaeras, scorpion fishes, catfishes, toadfishes, rabbit fishes, and stargazers. Venomous spines can have poison glands along the grove of the spine, as with stingrays, or at the base of the spine as in some catfish. While humans can be stung by a multitude of fishes, few species are life threatening.

Stingrays if poked, prodded or even smacked on their backs with an object, normally will not retaliate but flee off to safety. Likewise, if you are shuffling your feet and happen to nudge a stingray that is lying on the bottom, its natural response is to either beeline out of the way or circle behind. Though the stingray’s reaction in both cases is to avoid being stepped on, the latter maneuver can poses a problem if the wader for some reason unintentionally steps backwards Never underestimate the penetrating ability of a stingray's barb, even on the smallest of rays. The ray's barb is designed to penetrate virtually all sorts of dense materials, including wood and leather. And as unbelievable as it may seem, it's been documented that large stingrays are able to drive a barb through a boat's wooden planks or completely through a persons arm or leg."

So it seems he was literally stabbed in the heart...by a fish.

DmbGreySt88
09-04-2006, 09:30 AM
I was just reading about this- i remeber in 7th grade we had to do like a film thing and we did the crocodile hunter and i was Irwin-sad loss

cornflake girl
09-04-2006, 09:42 AM
Wow. I always kind of thought that guy was basically immortal.

This saddens me greatly.

wired
09-04-2006, 09:54 AM
oh oh oh. steve was my next husband... one of my favorites in all the world. i am crying - this just really wrecked me day.

2stepnancie
09-04-2006, 09:56 AM
I just heard about this and wow does that suck. R.I.P. and thanks for the memories.

Sectsktn
09-04-2006, 10:26 AM
That's a pretty f-ed up way to go. But a least he was doing what he loved. (I assume).

2stepnancie
09-04-2006, 03:21 PM
here is a nice little tribute someone made.

http://www.break.com/index/steve_irwin_tribute.html

dmbball10
09-04-2006, 03:23 PM
I found out this morning, and I was shocked. Couldnt really believe this could happen to anyone..

firedancer33
09-04-2006, 03:32 PM
Very shocking and sad. I really liked watching him, he was daring, informative, and funny!

Animals, especially reptiles have lost a true friend and advocate!

Itsallamess
09-04-2006, 09:04 PM
i never really watched the show but am familiar with his work. i always got the biggest kick out of watching the espn commerical where he tackles the gator mascot....so funny! r.i.p steve

ZjR326
09-04-2006, 09:36 PM
totally forgot about that commerical, it was a funny one... he will be missed all around the world too, thats the crazy thing too... RIP Steve.

nanciestripping
09-04-2006, 10:56 PM
stingrays are so rarely deadly too - it was just horribly unlucky

crickey i'm going to miss him

-brad

djurzi
09-05-2006, 04:42 AM

Yes, it was. It really is a shame. He did some crazy stuff, but to get killed by a sting ray. What a way to die. He was way to young. He will be missed.

spoonInspoon
09-05-2006, 11:13 PM
Just sad... The guy was great at what he did and he put so much money in saving the enviroment...

jackjack
09-17-2006, 05:57 PM

crickey i'm going to miss him

-brad

They hunted the stingray down and killed it. It's not what Steve would have wanted:pissed:

sputnick42
09-25-2006, 08:22 AM
This was really sad news in Australia. It was very heart warming though to see all the love that people had for him, from the US and from other countries.

RIP

p.s. If anyone is a worldwide motor racing fan - A famous Australian Touring Car driver called Peter Brock died also...about a week after Steve Irwin. I don't know who would have heard of him, but just thought I'd post this anyway in case someone followed worldwide motor sport and knew of him. Also, RIP

wired
09-25-2006, 08:28 AM
They hunted the stingray down and killed it. It's not what Steve would have wanted:pissed:

this can't be true. i can't even believe it. this really didn't happen, did it???

jackjack
09-26-2006, 07:59 AM
this can't be true. i can't even believe it. this really didn't happen, did it???

Yes it's true. They did an autopsy on the ray. That's what we do as humans now. When ever a mountain lion or bear attacks someone in their environment we hunt it down and kill it. My question is since their was footage did they capture the ray immediately or later?

CrazyEazy
09-27-2006, 05:08 AM
Well... I can say i understand in a way about a bear or mt lion maybe MAYBE its a risk to people and capturing them (but playing them somewhere else) .. but a ray in the ocean.... it was just a wrong place at the wrong time... There is going to be a Barbra Walters Interview with Steve's wife on. Not sure if its today or not.

wired
01-21-2007, 09:59 AM
i just heard from my sister that they will be airing steve's final episode of the crocodile hunter (ocean's deadliest) tonight at 8 p.m. (est) on animal planet. i desperately want to see this, so if anyone is in the mood to make a person's day, you could tivo it and send me the vid. :) i would be more than willing to trade for some dave material.