PDA

View Full Version : Bob Dylan's Conterversial Rolling Stone article

spoonInspoon
08-22-2006, 01:16 PM
This is from the latest Rolling Stone article

Modern music is worthless

Bob Dylan says the quality of modern recordings is "atrocious," and even the songs on his new album sounded much better in the studio than on disc.
"I don't know anybody who's made a record that sounds decent in the past 20 years, really," the 65-year-old rocker said in an interview with Rolling Stone magazine.
Dylan, who released eight studio albums in the past two decades, returns with his first recording in five years, "Modern Times," next Tuesday.
Noting the music industry's complaints that illegal downloading means people are getting their music for free, he said, "Well, why not? It ain't worth nothing anyway."
"You listen to these modern records, they're atrocious, they have sound all over them," he added. "There's no definition of nothing, no vocal, no nothing, just like ... static."
Dylan said he does his best to fight technology, but it's a losing battle.
"Even these songs probably sounded ten times better in the studio when we recorded 'em. CDs are small. There's no stature to it."

Its hard what to make of this, I'll fully agree that there really is no such thing as good MODERN mainstream music anymore besides a few bands here and there... but thats it... mtv,vh1,and pop music in general is totally saturated with crap. Anything modern that happens to become "POP" now adays is crap...It's hard to believe that back in the day and even the early 90's some of the "PoP' music was actually good (nirvana pearl jam petty etc.) and now there is nothing worth listening to I mean name me one good band thats going to be at the VMA's or holds a spot on mtv or vh1 ???. So anyhow the thing I wish he would have aknowledged is the fact NOT ALL modern music is crap just in the mainstream world...I also think this article is more pointed at the the producers who over dub an overwork albums to make it sound like crap (Stand Up) what are your thoughts yall ???

djurzi
08-22-2006, 01:28 PM
I am confused. What is he refering to here. The quality of the music after it is produced from the studio or just modern music in general?

"I don't know anybody who's made a record that sounds decent in the past 20 years, really," the 65-year-old rocker said in an interview with Rolling Stone magazine

This is a bold statement, but again what is he refering to here. I will agree that a lot of music nowadays is not nearly as good as it was in the 60's and 70's. Most of what I listen to is from that time period.

On a side note. I can't not wait to hear Bob's new album.

wired
08-22-2006, 01:33 PM
i am going out on a limb to say that to me it really sounds as though he is dicussing the quality of the recordings as opposed to the content.
"Even these songs probably sounded ten times better in the studio when we recorded 'em. CDs are small. There's no stature to it."

this really sounds as though he is discussing his dissatisfaction with recording standards and the media used to disseminate said music.

Paige
08-22-2006, 01:38 PM
I definitely think he's attacking quality over content, but I also think, like Jeff mentioned, it's partially aimed towards the producers (or, the way the music is mixed).

djurzi
08-22-2006, 01:43 PM
i am going out on a limb to say that to me it really sounds as though he is dicussing the quality of the recordings as opposed to the content.

this really sounds as though he is discussing his dissatisfaction with recording standards and the media used to disseminate said music.

Thats what I thought. I guess what he hears in the studio and what ends up being produced on the album are two different things.

spoonInspoon
08-22-2006, 04:09 PM
Its half and half I guess...I dunno AOL is making it seem like he is looking at the past 20 years of music and just saying "it's all crap" I find that hard to believe coming from Dylan.The other half which I think this article is more based on as in what goes into making a record I can see where he's coming from, its just 'too much' over dubbing sound effects etc. kind of kills the feel of the song/album by overworking and producing it...Let's take for example Everyday the Album itself sounded like it was recorded in a tin can all of these instruments crowded together making noise, but when ya listen to the songs from this album live they sound alot more open and free if that makes any sense...Which leads me to the conclusion live is better... I think if ya wanna put out a great record you should play the songs as if you were playing it live (Lillywhite sessions) I don't understand why practically nobody does this anymore its like you have a billion different parts to a song that were recorded and then the producers glue them all together. In most instances of course its necessary to have the parts played before you put down the track as a whole(for editing purposes) but when you surgically sit there and nit pick and add to the song its often over done I mean just listen to live versions of joyride and hello again compared to the crappy studio version, that says it all right there

jackjack
08-23-2006, 08:23 PM
This is from the latest Rolling Stone article

Its hard what to make of this, I'll fully agree that there really is no such thing as good MODERN mainstream music anymore besides a few bands here and there... but thats it... mtv,vh1,and pop music in general is totally saturated with crap. Anything modern that happens to become "POP" now adays is crap...It's hard to believe that back in the day and even the early 90's some of the "PoP' music was actually good (nirvana pearl jam petty etc.) and now there is nothing worth listening to I mean name me one good band thats going to be at the VMA's or holds a spot on mtv or vh1 ???. So anyhow the thing I wish he would have aknowledged is the fact NOT ALL modern music is crap just in the mainstream world...I also think this article is more pointed at the the producers who over dub an overwork albums to make it sound like crap (Stand Up) what are your thoughts yall ???

A good friend of mine is a producer and the things he's produced would knock your socks off in terms of quality sound and artist performance. It has a lot to do with whose producing the COOKIE CUTTER MUSIC. And a lot of producers have never steped foot in a MUSIC CLASS. They would'nt know a perfect pitch if it walked up and PIMP SLAPPED THEM DOWN A BACK ALLEY. Everytime a band or artist comes out with something new and creative, they dream up a new catagory. Then the flood gates are opened to every wanna be singer to do their horrible studio interpretation. Justin Timberlake had the nerve to criticize Taylor Hicks. Atleast Taylor can sing with his Michael McDonald look a like self! I thought who in the hell is he. He can't sing, his movie was sent straight to DVD ie... he can't act as well. I am so tired of these studio rip-off artist whose voices are blended with background singers (PAULA ABDUL, JANET JACKSON) to even remotely resemble a voice that's marketable. And if another one of these idiots is compared to a LEGEND DEAD OR ALIVE, I'll SCREAM. Bob is right after the studio gets it and sends it to production, the record companies add a bunch of *%## to it which renders it unrecognizable to the artist. This is also why Bob released his CD through Starbucks exclusively.

spoonInspoon
08-24-2006, 12:45 PM
I already heard some of Modern Times...As for the lyrics WOW it sounds like something he wrote in the mid 60's...The overall sound is very bluesy I only heard one track though "Thunder on the mountain" but damn the guy can still write great songs that make most modern music look like crap...when you hear it you'll know what I mean

purplehaze18
08-24-2006, 06:08 PM
how did you hear it?

MikeyCarson
08-24-2006, 08:08 PM
If you've ever heard his Theme Time Radio Hour on XM he really hasn't played much newer music (last 2 decades). Now I don't know how much input Dylan REALLY has on his XM show but with the selection thats played it may really beg the question, "what does he think of todays music as a whole?"

djurzi
08-31-2006, 10:45 AM
I already heard some of Modern Times...As for the lyrics WOW it sounds like something he wrote in the mid 60's...The overall sound is very bluesy I only heard one track though "Thunder on the mountain" but damn the guy can still write great songs that make most modern music look like crap...when you hear it you'll know what I mean

I was listening to the new album today. I have to agree with you. Even after all these years... This man can write some lyrics like none other. I can't say that I am really surprised. Overall it sounds a lot like his past couple albums, not much change in style really, but he doesn't need to change. He continues to blow me away with his lyrics. The music can be a bit repetative with the riffs, but I like it. Judge for yourself, but if you are a Dylan fan, buy this album.

spoonInspoon
08-31-2006, 04:12 PM
Can't wait till tomorrow PAY DAY...Can't wait ot hear the whole thing!

Dave L
09-03-2006, 11:27 AM
No doubt about it he's the man when it comes to lyrical generation. I'm looking forward to checking out this album.

As for the studio, I have to agree. After watching the VMA's....um best F!@#ing Ring tone? WTF? I watched the Chilli's get screwed out of every category they were up for and it really makes you wonder...yeah their video wasn't great...but did anyone listen to the two enormous volumes of music they just put out?
And furthermore, Best video....Um at any given moment I can turn on MTV or VH1 and there is only reality shows on and no music/vidoes.
So, I have renamed the awards to "Best Studio remastered 3 chord riff bands that can sell CDs for a little while and get fronted huge houses you can see on Cribs in place of watching music videos, Awards Show.":thumbsup:

djurzi
09-08-2006, 11:19 AM
Can't wait till tomorrow PAY DAY...Can't wait ot hear the whole thing!

Hey Jeff, Did you ever listen to the whole album? What do you think?

fonzylover
09-08-2006, 11:20 AM
So, I have renamed the awards to "Best Studio remastered 3 chord riff bands that can sell CDs for a little while and get fronted huge houses you can see on Cribs in place of watching music videos, Awards Show.":thumbsup:

Here, here!! :thumbsup:

kbk31
09-11-2006, 02:09 PM
If I remember correctly, I don't think Dylan ever agreed with making albums and just did it because of his contract. I don't think he was ever satisfied with any of his OWN albums. If you're a Dylan fan you should watch No Direction Home, directed by Martin Scorcese. Really great stuff. I love Bobby D.